Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee mold failed me on ita first outing...

Boolit Master

Lee mold failed me on ita first outing...

I picked this mold up last month and finaly had the opertunity to cast today...Its a 6 hole 357/125 bullet. The spure cutter handle cracked where they drilled for its mounting bolt. I got about 3-350 bulelts cast.

I havent delt with LEE gaurenty. Will they send me a new handle or will I have to deal with the returning repairing and returning postage to me again?

Any experienced help appreciated.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-25-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I am not sure what the current process is for returning items, but a while back I had to return a mold that had a bit of an off center cavity or two & it was a smooth thing to have it exchanged.

IIRC, they sent me a shipping label & I sent it back, while they sent me a new one within a couple days. As a matter of fact, I was casting boolits when the box came, & I opened it up , did some prep to it & started casting with it the same day. It worked great.

Give them a call, and tell them of the issue, & if ya feel ya should, offer them the pics ya just posted, but I think they will help ya out, even without the pics.

They may just ship ya a new handle without delay... Gotta call them

They have been good to me in the past. I reckon they will help ya out.

G'Luck!

P.S. - please share what happens. It will let others know the current deal with situations like yours.

P.P.S. - Make sure to do the little bit of lube there at that connection, as well as the sprue pivot, with some beeswax or something you prefer for such things. It may help for in the future. I also smoke the mold a bit before I cast, but YMMV.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 02-24-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I have several of those molds and havent broken one yet, but I cast fast and cut the sprue pretty hot (yes, I sometimes get smears and tear-out). Either hit lee for a replacement or check out http://www.kal.castpics.net/Molds3.html for a hd replacement.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Send them an email including the above photos and the bill of sales (if you still have one) and I bet they will send you a new one no questions asked.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

From my own experience and from what I've read about others experienced from Lee...it seems to vary...email them a Photo of the broken part and the receipt or invoice from where you bought it, and you will likely get them so send out a part free of charge. But then again, they might just tell you to order the part from their website...if that is the case, it will be free, but you will be charged shipping.

Also, I have many Lee 6 cav molds, and I have broke one of those cams too. It's pretty common for them to break, I keep a spare in the drawer, just in case I break another one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Start by filling a couple holes away from the handles first, do more as the plate heats up. Don't hold the cutter handle when pouring.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Like a lot of Lee stuff, it is made from pot metal with very little strength, much better handles are avail. on this site.

Boolit Grand Master

I have very little experience with Lee customer service. When I Emailed them they wanted me to mail in the broken part and pay postage on the replacement. Postage both ways just about equalled the cost of a replacement part and I just order a few from Midway. Others have posted that they will accept pictures but this option was not offered to me. I didn't know enough about Lee to ask about Email. Good Luck with this!

Oh yeah, your bullets look good.

I order Lee from Midway and Amazon. 30 days at Amazon return on their dime. They send replacement before you ship yours. Prime only.

Banned
    I'd go the e-mail/picture route first if that doesn't work let them know you'll return the mold to the place you bought it for an exchange.

IF you got it from Amazon, they'll email you a return shipping label.
    If you have to go through lee. Mail them the broken piece only and they should pay to ship the replacement back.

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Send them an email including the above photos and the bill of sales (if you still have one) and I bet they will send you a new one no questions asked. Slim

That's what I did, when I broke one of those. I sent them pics and they then sent me a new one. I believe you're letting the sprue sit too long before trying to cut it (at least that's what happened to me)

Never dealt with mold issues but they sent me a new decapping pin when I broke one.

Banned
    preheat the mold on a hot plate with a piece of metal on it to give even heat. Set the plate temp to 380-400°. Start filling the mold at the hole nearest the sprue hinge for easier cutting.

after the sprue starts cutting evenly alternate ends in filling the mold to keep the mold at a more even temperature.

Boolit Master

First 6cav I bought broke that piece on it's first cast.
    I filled the cavities on a Mold that was pre-warmed on a hot plate. Lead was at 750degrees.
    Filled the cavities, counted to ten and levered the sprue plate pivot handle.

BUSTED STRAIGHT AWAY.

Called Lee next day. Explained to the C. S. Lady the problem, she sent me out a new pivot "thingy".
    Thank the GOOD LORD I didn't epoxy the wood handle on. Had to do it to the Replacement.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Do you see where the metal is being scraped away on the sprue plate nearest you...where the plate tucks under that bolt on the left side?

Do you feel the plate grind when it is being pushed back under that stop/retaining bolt?

Lube it.

Anti-seize will stay there the longest & a little goes a long way.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone!!

I pulled up the website and cannot find a phone to call. I did find the repair area and they want a form filled out and a part returned... BULL! I haven't been a Lee fan boy for a very long time.

I'm a welder... generally ALLOT bigger stiff than this... But I have a small machine here so I figured WTH its already ruined.. I have no idea the metal used here... But its not a dangerous thing so I prepped it and welded it up.

ground back and cleaned the metal...

Applied some 'glue"...

Dressed it up and smoothed it down.

Seems to work fine...

Time will tell...

Thanks again for all the tips guys, this place rocks!!

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-25-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added pics

Boolit Master
    Glad to see you got it worked out to your satisfaction.

For future reference:
    https://leeprecision.com/

https://leeprecision.com/contact-us.html

At the bottom of every webpage on their website, in Red & with white font:

4275 County Road U | Hartford, WI 53027 | phone (262) 673-3075 | fax (262) 673-9273

P.S. - Don't forget the lube Charlie & I recommended.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Thanks everyone!!

I pulled up the website and cannot find a phone to call. I did find the repair area and they want a form filled out and a part returned... BULL! I haven't been a Lee fan boy for a very long time.

I'm a welder... generally ALLOT bigger stiff than this... But I have a small machine here so I figured WTH its already ruined.. I have no idea the metal used here... But its not a dangerous thing so I prepped it and welded it up.

>>>SNIP
    I'm surprised you were able to weld that sintered metal part.

I'd still contact Lee about a replacement.
    Using Lee's "contact us" link that JB provided, then click on, "What is Lee Precision, Inc.'s email address?"
    Then fill in the windows and add the photo (photobucket link) at the bottom.
    Be sure to mention it was the first casting session, and include a photo of the dated invoice/receipt if you have it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    Lee Precision Support <support@leeprecision.com>

Boolit Master

Well no harm I guess..

Email with pics and explination sent requesting new replacement handle.

No mention of my repair.

My thoughts where if this failed, I would spend the 35$ on the one recomended by jcren.

I was kinda suprized myself. As I said I have no idea of that the metal is. It responced well to my guestimation on heat and feed. Good penetration colors and depth whitnessed on first side and front. I dont think my weld will fail, but surely could break beside my weld with first use.

Thanks again guys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast