RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Mold handles for an Hensley and Gibbs 4 cavity mold

Mold handles for an Hensley and Gibbs 4 cavity mold

Are there any other handles that fit H & G molds?
    Flydad

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

Moderator Emeritus

Judging by Red River Rick's Vendor sponsor page, I'd say Lyman 4 cav handles will fit, if your H&G mold slot is 1/4". I've heard H&G had other variations.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Mould-Handles
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks for the tip, I'll get in touch
    Flydad

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

Boolit Buddy
    I just got a 4 cavity 45 mold; the Lyman nutcracker handles will fit the slot but the pin holes don't line up. I'm going to buy a used set of RCBS handles and grind the jaws down to fit. The metal is too thick for the slots.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Boolit Master
    The H&G molds were a machinest's work of art and they cast like it. Handles were fitted to and shipped with the mold. I found a H&G 4 cavity 68 mold only years ago and bought it because of the price. I had some handles, I think were Lyman, I drilled to fit and it works, but not as well as my H&G's with the original handles.

Agreed , they are works of art. I too just bought a #50 with out handles and missing a screw. Does anyone know where I can find a screw that holds the handles on a 4 cavity H & G? They screw in from the bottom of the mold.
    Flydad

― Leonardo da Vinci

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flydad View Post
    Agreed , they are works of art. I too just bought a #50 with out handles and missing a screw. Does anyone know where I can find a screw that holds the handles on a 4 cavity H & G? They screw in from the bottom of the mold.
    Yes, I can make you one.

I usually remove the original H&G screws and replace them with stainless. A lot of the old H&G molds had handle screws with the heads standing proud. When using the molds on a bottom pour pot like the RCBS Pro Melt the protruding heads do not allow the mold to sit flush and the heads tend to catch. I replace them with a recessed hex head.

The screws came today and they almost too pretty to use! They are perfect!! I'll be fitting the handles tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Flydad
    Flydad

― Leonardo da Vinci

Boolit Master
    Glad I could help. At least we kept an H&G out of retirement.