Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the hate?

Boolit Buddy
    no hatred here !
    for me different things work in different ways.
    i really like the HITEK coating , i want to use it for my .32 S&W long HBWC because i want a clean shot for my hammerli pistol.
    in time i will try HITEK coating for my 9 mm subsonic loads with a 147 gr boolit , i think 9 mm really benefits from this exellent coating.

then again... my HBWC boolits in .38 special loads get a good sizing and lubing through my lubesizer and loaded with the classic bullseye load.
    these are for my vintage S&W mod 14 , and a classic like this needs the classic load , never going to change that !

my husqvarna rifle gets yet another way of reloading .
    this rifle only gets shot with a 140 gr boolit... paperpatched , its super for the soft alloys i am using and i really don t want to chance it.

so , in my opinion every method has is own purpose , none is better than the other ... just different.

Boolit Buddy
    oh... and i really like that old lead look !
    the finishing touch for the vintage cartridges , must be a master of coating at work here !

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    OS OK, what type of mat is that? How does that work compared to a wire rack made from chicken wire?
    I have never tried chicken wire so I can't really say...this black one above ^ is a silicone ice cube tray ( 1/2" cells ) that a fella over in Kentucky sent me when he saw me struggling to keep my 8mm casts standing upright all the way to the oven.

I got these microwave mats off Amazon...I think? They were too small for my .324" casts and made a mess of their bases...prolly might work fine for <.30 cals.

THere's a million different mats out there, seems everybody makes a different one.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Hmmm Charlie... Those other types might work for me. both .30 cal & .223/5.56...

******, now ya got me thinkin about buying more stuff...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

No hatred here either. I just feels like equal effort nor matter what I use. PCing is easier, but just as time consuming as lubersizing. So for me it is just another tool in the tool box. I prefer lubing for accuracy work and PCing for bulk ammo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Pan lubing and tumble lubing do not require an oven.

I do them all, pan, tumble, Lam II and PC and a mix. It depends on how I feel that day. I do every thing from .172 to .50 I'm fairly new to this game so it all fascinates me. Started pan lubing and may have not tried the others if I had tried PC first. But I surly don't hate any of the methods and still do each when the whim strikes me. Though I have to admit the traffic purple do make a statement when loaded in the 454 Casull.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Hmmm Charlie... Those other types might work for me. both .30 cal & .223/5.56...

******, now ya got me thinkin about buying more stuff...
    hehehehehe...break out that wallet, you got so much cash in it already your sitting lopsided! hehehehe...glad to help JB!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    I don't hate the concept of PC'ing cast boolits. I think some of the push back from traditional guys comes when the PC crowd gets going about how much better a procedure that they have and then start spreading misconceptions about traditional lubes, probably based on their own bad experiences.

I also see how the PC procedure can become a hobby unto itself. Different colors, different procedures, more equipment to buy (and who among us doesn't like to invest in tools?)

And for some guys they like the reloading time more than they like the range time.

As for me, I like to focus on the shooting part, not necessarily the reloading part. And I like to keep it simple. I mix Lee Alox 50/50 with mineral spirits. I then give my bullets one very light coat of lube. Something like 1/2 teaspoon per 100 bullets.

They dry very quickly, they aren't tacky, they don't gum up my seating dies and they don't smoke. Accuracy is splendid and as long as the bullet fits I get no leading. This method of lubing is fast, efficient, very inexpensive and requires no additional brainpower from me.

But to each his own.

Steve in N CA

Banned
    This is my opinion, others may vary.
    Lube= smokey, have to wipe /make sure each boolits base is clean, gets dies dirty. Someone said there's no cooking involved in lube, I found it a pain to make lube sticks for my lube-sizer. Lube dries out and cracks/falls out over time, temperature sensitive.

PC no more smoke than J-words doesn't mess up dies, not temperature sensitive, pretty colors (girls like pretty colors! which only matters if you like girls ), an easy way to mark different loads/charges with different colors. [I have US and European 9MM's that require 2 different sized boolits, the europeans are .002 bigger than the US, If you want the lead look you can go with clear PC.
    I kinda like platinum

or metalic silver

I do both PC and HiTek. HiTek is the coating the commercial casters use, it is not a new thing. It was developed in Australia 25 years ago and is a standard for their competitions.

I mainly use HiTek when I'm coating large batches 35 lbs or more. PC I use most of the time.
    There is a PC that doesn't want to stick to anything to a PC that sticks to everything. PC goes on between .001 to .005+ depending on the PC.
    I've found that HiGloss Polyester (usually TGIC) works the best for me.

Yes, some people are set in there ways, You can look at it like Lube has worked for 100+ years, why change. I say humans walked for most of their existence on earth why ride or drive LOL

I concur it's hard to change something that has worked your whole casting career.

**no hate here, folks can use whatever their comfortable with**
    Last edited by Conditor22; 03-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Hey i don't tumble or pan lube also don't powder coat. But if any of the above is your cup of tea then go for it. Anyone who would give you greef over something like this doesn't need to have his opinion taken serious. Different strokes for different folks.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmm, I been lubing with a Lyman 45 for a lot years and was thinking about maybe trying PC to see if it is a useful process and came here to read up on it and then I find this hate discussion going on over here. Seems to me that some of the PC guys are little too emotionally attached to a process and somehow trying to get converts to their sect? Just an outsider's observation...

You see that everywhere, and it's normal.

The Plumbers did it when PVC pipe came along, mechanics did it when electronic ignition hit the street,
    accountants did it when calculators came along, etc.

My Grandma had a similar reaction when people could get 'store bought' buttermilk instead of making your own.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 02-24-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

PC has short falls just like lube does. I get vehement hatred when I point out the differences on other cast bullet forums. I use both PC and lube to the best of their abilities but, I don't tell the haters. The haters only have any experience with PC.
    A deplorable that votes!

Banned

I do both. If I want the most accurate load possible I use a lubed bullet. If I want just blasting ammo, I use PC. I just can not find anything that shoots anywhere near as good as a lubed bullet so far. I keep trying but so far not yet.

I'd think for blasting ammo... tumble lubed would be about the easiest and fastest. My only experience so far with PC is some Lee 309-150-FN bullets that were sent to me with a mould. They wouldnt chamber in my Winchester 94. The nose was too fat, but the bullets work fine when traditional or tumble lubed.

One of my complaints about PC is the dang colors. Bullets arent supposed to be rainbow colored. Silver/grey, black and copper is the only acceptable colors for projectiles for my tastes.

Boolit Grand Master

The one place where PC and Hi tec fall short is when shooting BPCR rifles with real black powder, Here you need the lubed bullets not just for leading but to keep powder fouling soft. I cast big soft bullets, pan lube them then shoot them over doses of Black powder compressed. SPG or emmerts improved and fouling stays soft

I think many are just old dogs like me, slow to change. I was skeptical but after giving coatings a try, I will not likely go back to lubes. Maybe in a poop HTF scenarios, but as long as I have elec, I'll be baking coatings onto my bullets. Black powder being an exception, I get more than adequate accuracy with coated, but I have yet to Ransom test to confirm. I can shoot no better than 2" offhand @ 25y with my best pistols with any bullet type.
    The process is as complicated as you want to make it, just like most things. I find HT easier, but you need to bake twice. PC will handle a bit higher pressures w/o losing accuracy. So just kinda depends on what you need.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I think many are just old dogs like me, slow to change. I was skeptical but after giving coatings a try, I will not likely go back to lubes. Maybe in a poop HTF scenarios, but as long as I have elec, I'll be baking coatings onto my bullets. Black powder being an exception, I get more than adequate accuracy with coated, but I have yet to Ransom test to confirm. I can shoot no better than 2" offhand @ 25y with my best pistols with any bullet type.
    The process is as complicated as you want to make it, just like most things. I find HT easier, but you need to bake twice. PC will handle a bit higher pressures w/o losing accuracy. So just kinda depends on what you need.

You're a better shooter than I am. Of course my eyes are getting older fast. 15 yards is about my limit. I can hit a clay pigeon at that range 85% of the time with my Canik and red dot. About 60% of the time with my 1911 and irons.

Hi-Tek and PC are plenty accurate for everything I'm doing with a handgun.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I must have overlooked the hate posts.I don't powder coat and have no interest in doing so.I don't tumble lube either and haven't pan lubed since I bought my first lube sizer.I am simply happy with my lube sizers.Anyone else is free to do what they wish as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast