MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the hate?

Boolit Master
    There are those who preach that progressives are the only fit loaders to use. Most of those preachers are pistol shooters and their reloading activities are nothing like mine. I do not shoot pistols and have no need for a progressive. I shoot smaller volumes with single shot rifles. What good would PC do for me?
    EDG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    There are those who preach that progressives are the only fit loaders to use. Most of those preachers are pistol shooters and their reloading activities are nothing like mine. I do not shoot pistols and have no need for a progressive. I shoot smaller volumes with single shot rifles. What good would PC do for me?
    Pretty much the same boat here, wouldn't take a progressive loader if you gave me one. I do shoot pistols, but not thousands of rounds at a sitting like some guys. I just don't see powder coating offering me anything.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I must have overlooked the hate posts.I don't powder coat and have no interest in doing so.I don't tumble lube either and haven't pan lubed since I bought my first lube sizer.I am simply happy with my lube sizers.Anyone else is free to do what they wish as well.
    The hate isn't here. It's on other forums.

I actually had one guy say he tried powder coating with Hi-Tek and it didn't work. I tried to tell him Hi-Tek wasn't a powder coat and he said yes it is. It's a powder. In his mind Hi-Tek is a gimmick because he couldn't be bothered to read the directions.

Other people telling me that Hi-Tek adds too much diameter to the bullet...I have to wonder if they've ever tried it. Or it takes too long, like they have to stand there while it dries and while it bakes.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes we who fall in love with coatings can be too enthusiastic,irritating people. I'm guilty.

My main interests for coating are big bores and shotguns. Here where I live, pistol reloading is more expensive than buying factory ammo, even with free bullets. Big bores,big savings. I do make subsonic 9mm and 308 , coated cast.

Gun cleaning time has shortened a lot. Not much to clean,I shoot severeal times a week. Everything is neat,clean and tidy.

I'd say I got back to casting because of coatings,especially Hi Tek which I find easy to repeat exactly the same batch after batch.

I also use guitars with curved frets for proper intonation,it's been hard to swallow for some.

Another poster made the comment that he used whatever gave him the best load that he could build, either using pc or traditional lubrisizing. I’m in that boat and use pc [to consume my stash of junk lead] for most of my pistol ammo and traditional lube for my rifles and .455 Webleys. Both are means to an end, the end being ammo that goes bang and bullets that hit what I’m aiming at.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KenT7021 View Post
    I must have overlooked the hate posts.I don't powder coat and have no interest in doing so.I don't tumble lube either and haven't pan lubed since I bought my first lube sizer.I am simply happy with my lube sizers.Anyone else is free to do what they wish as well.
    The biggest reason that I pan lube and tumble lube is because I am too cheap to buy a lube-sizer. Someday, I will have one.

Boolit Master
    I used to hate the mess of the lube sizers but with the Star that isn't an issue any more. The lube goes in the groove and no where else. They still smoke when fired but I don't shoot indoors so I don't care. Short of tumble lubing, I believe the Star to be the fastest method available. Set a boolit in the sizer die an pull the handle, repeat, repeat.... However, PC is capable of enlarging a boolits dia and hardening the surface for better rifling grip but it does take a while to handle each boolit with tweezers and standing them and getting them in the oven. The small dia long boolits being especially a pita. PC does appear to be working well in my 93 mauser 7x57 with it's fast twist and somewhat loose bore and chamber. I have just started using PC and have yet to try it on some Lee nose rider molds to see if I can pick up enough dia to get the nose big enough to actually touch the bore. All methods seem to have some advantages and some issues.

Boolit Master
    I use the Bruce Lee method. As most of you know he was one of the greatest martial artists in the world. He looked at all styles and used what would work. That's what I do. If it will work for me I use it. The problem is that everybody wants to be on what I call the right wagon. Respect each other and learn from each other. We are all like minded or we wouldn't be here. Think of others as your brothers! HEY, I made a rhyme,COOL!!!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I use the Bruce Lee method. As most of you know he was one of the greatest martial artists in the world. He looked at all styles and used what would work. That's what I do. If it will work for me I use it. The problem is that everybody wants to be on what I call the right wagon. Respect each other and learn from each other. We are all like minded or we wouldn't be here. Think of others as your brothers! HEY, I made a rhyme,COOL!!!
    That's almost scientific ! Accept what works and discard what doesn't.

I’m puzzled by the number of people who claim not to coat and aren’t interested yet are in this chat room! Do y’all lurk on every forum room here? Lol. I gave up PC, too fussy, but this hitek stuff is sent from above! I don’t see any advantage to messy lube. Lead exposure on my hands at the range is reason enough to coat! The only time I actually touch lead anymore is taking the bare boolits out of the quench water bucket. From there they get dried and coated, and the lead is sealed inside a protective layer. Oh and btw, with hitek that layer is about .0005” thick, very nice when you’d rather not grow your boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    My MkIII Lee Enfield shoots inside 1.5'' at 100 all day using Hi-Tek, no lube purge flyers, no gummed up dies or rifle, I haven't had much luck with PC but Hi-Tek is brilliant.

Banned
    Powder coating is the dark side.

I’m sure that there was resistance to the idea of Lee Liquid Alox when it came out, too. There are still people that say lubrisizers are superior; yet I’m getting frequent 1” groups @100 yds with push thru & LLA so You can’t prove it by me.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’m sure that there was resistance to the idea of Lee Liquid Alox when it came out, too. There are still people that say lubrisizers are superior; yet I’m getting frequent 1” groups @100 yds with push thru & LLA so You can’t prove it by me.
    I completely resist Lee liquid earwax. When it first came out I played around with it quite a bit, was not in any way happy with results, so I do not use it.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master
    powder coating is the only way to go for me
    tired of the gooey greasy stuff.gums up my dies and don't really work as well as pc has for me
    I musta never got the correct size or what have you using traditional lubes so I gave pc a try
    will not go back to lube
    lot of people hate the new fangled telescopic sight and use iron sights but to each his own
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I would have never been here on CB if it were not for some Hi-Tek bullets that I purchased from Leatherhead Bullets a few years ago and loaded into a few different calibers. It made me come to the conclusion that coated cast bullets shoot really well. They are clean and don't have the smoke of lubed cast. That's what won me over to casting. The simplicity of coating and the results on steel and paper speak for themselves. Plus my cost per round is now lower.

Banned
    Its un natural. If God had wanted bullets to be coated he would have made an 11th commandment. "Thou shalt have coated Bullets" until then I will still size and lube my own. Its just not right to have red or pink bullets just not right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Its un natural. If God had wanted bullets to be coated he would have made an 11th commandment. "Thou shalt have coated Bullets" until then I will still size and lube my own. Its just not right to have red or pink bullets just not right.
    If expands my reloading budget by bartering with the wifes wants. So be it. A mans gotta do what a mans gotts do. I would bedazzle her some hollow points if ment an extra pound of powder and case of primers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Look again, it's in the fine print...

I shot a military bolt match this past Saturday with PC'd RCBS 30-180-SP --- and won 5 of 6 stages!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    I use all 3 methods, hitek for the calibers it works great at (45, 38spec), powder coat for some finicky stuff (9mm), and plain tumble lube if I'm lazy and just want plinking ammo. Each still has their purposes and fan-bois.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast