Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Unscientific 300 Blackout bullet testing

Unscientific 300 Blackout bullet testing

So, I have been playing around with cast bullets in a couple pistol length 300 Blackout AR's. When I can get them to completely go into battery, they are a blast. Problem is that once powder coated they are mostly a little thick in the nose area to function dependably. So this morning I pulled all my 30 cal molds that I have been playing with to do a side by side test. All cast from the same pot of range recycle lead and a shot of tin to help with fill out. Now these are not the prettiest bullets and that is no fault of the molds. didn't have the time to get all five up to perfect temp. Once they started throwing decent bullets, counted bout 50 and on to next mold. two mold are from NOE ( one brand new), two from Arsenal molds and one from Miheck. weight's are from 135ish thru 188ish. Will weigh and average the bullets. Biggest thing I want to take from this is which ones have to smallest diameter nose area for reliable feeding after powder coating. AR's just don't have the camming ability a bolt gun does. So tight doesn't work well. All of these bullets I have shot ( except for the NOE) and have worked good with LilGun, just haven't had reliable feeding. also going to try a few different colors of powder coat ( mostly smokes, but a few others) to see which one's go on the thinnest. Here is a picture of the lineup. Will post more info when molds cool down. Anyone know how to rotate the picture's?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3690.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	236704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3687.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	236705
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master

I’m here n the same “boat” have a 30-30 that while old is tight throated and a 300 blk that also seems snug; as in two good loads worked up won’t chamber once pcd, and even tumble or pan lubing get a handful that just won’t go into battery. Was thinging at least for the blk finding a very pointy mold in the 120-140 weight range

Boolit Master
    Try Hi-tek coating. It doesn't add much size to the bullet

Here are pictures of the 5 different bullets

Name:	mp135.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	236746

Name:	noe152.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	236747

Name:	noe180.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	236748

Name:	arsenal170.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	236750

Name:	IMG_3693.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	236751
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

HiTek will generally give a thinner coat. Try PC shake&bake with minimum powder so it gets a thin - almost poor coat. Cook till it flows good, cool and repeat S&B. Then cook full cure. PC sticks to uncoated area on the second and gives a thinner coat. The bottom 2 should work if you vary the seating depth. Unless you nose size, throat and bore dim. need to be adjusted (mould design) to accommodate the 3-4 thous. of coating. Remember the throat is usually tapered so 1 deg = 5 thous. for a 3/8" long throat. The alloy will expand in the neck, throat; shrink in the freebore and long unsupported nose will 'slump' into the grooves and possibly get crooked. Long nose bore rider shouldn't get bent when chambering, ride the top of the lands. Tough to do in an autoloader.
    Whatever!

Now the data uncoated
    Now NOE 311-152-SP
    OAL- .9745
    to Ogive- .5555
    to Crimp Grove- .3325
    Crimp to Ogive- .2565
    Weight- 151grn
    Retired Redleg

MP
    OAL- .7975
    to Ogive- .4755
    to Crimp Grove- .371
    Crimp to Ogive- .146
    Weight- 130.8
    Retired Redleg

Arsenal
    PC309-188-NR-BR-GC
    OAL- 1.141
    to Ogive- .7175
    to Crimp Grove- N/A
    Base to Ogive- .727
    Weight- 192
    Retired Redleg

Arsenal
    HVTH1 170 Silver
    OAL- .9715
    to Ogive- .647
    to Crimp Grove- .189
    Crimp to Ogive- .471
    Weight- 169.5
    Retired Redleg

NOE
    311-180-RF
    OAL- 1.089
    to Ogive- .55.5
    to Crimp Grove- N/A
    Base to Ogive- .570
    Weight- 193
    Retired Redleg

Well not a complete comparison due to two of the bullets have no crimp grove, But still some good data. Seems that the two NOE mold have about the same short distance between the base and Ogive. MP is a little shorter but a much lighter bullet. I think this new NOE mold ( 311-152-SP) is gonna work great. Seems like with the shorter OAL and Short length to the Ogive, that it might just fill the void for the 300 BLKOUT.
    Retired Redleg

311-152-SP seems to be good but I use Accurate as he will dim. to my specs. He doesn't do spirepoint though.
    Whatever!

I've got a few pounds of Arsenal molds and they are top notch. This Blackout is just a little finicky with off the shelf molds. If this NOE mold doesn't work ( expecting it will), then I am going to have one made to my own specs.
    the search is half the fun with casting.
    Retired Redleg

Banned
    NOE makes boolit nose sizing dies http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104