Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8mm Sporters at Cabela's

Banned

8mm Sporters at Cabela's

Was going through KC yesterday, so always have to stop by Cabela's just to look at the used guns. There were three identical rifles listed as "Zastava" Mausers in 8x57, that were obviously military '98 actions that had been decently sporterized; new barrels, new bolt handles, low swing safeties, drilled and tapped and plain, but well-contoured stocks on them. Asking price was $399, seemed like a pretty decent deal if you like the 8x57.

Anybody know who's selling these? Seemed strange to me that someone would be selling a line of sporters in 8x57 on the American market.

Boolit Master

they are likely new production. mitchells mausers would be one of my guesses as to who.

Boolit Master

Seems like one of those instances where you should buy all there and in a few years when they are really hard to find and remembered fondly and sout after you could name your price on the other two; after enjoying them in the meantime , it’s a highly underrated round and a great cast boolit shooter as good or better than the 35s

Boolit Master
    They were discussing these rifles in this thread here https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...terized-rifles

Zastava apparently did a arsenal sporterizing on the rifles, bent the bolt handle down, drilled and tapped them for scope mounts. Cabelas apparently got a bunch of them to sell in their stores. if you want a nice hunting rifle, they would be pretty good. But with Remington Savage, Thomson Center, Ruger selling modern bolt action rifles for about the same price or less, it is a difficult choice to have to make. There is nothing wrong with the 8x57 round but the other rifle choices let you pick much more common cartridge calibers though. Easier to find in a store somewhere if you need a box of ammo while out in the field. The rifles I looked at seemed to be caked with old Cosmoline like stuff, but looked to be in nice condition with little use, unless they had polished and reblued them or something.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    They were discussing these rifles in this thread here https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...terized-rifles

Zastava apparently did a arsenal sporterizing on the rifles, bent the bolt handle down, drilled and tapped them for scope mounts. Cabelas apparently got a bunch of them to sell in their stores. if you want a nice hunting rifle, they would be pretty good. But with Remington Savage, Thomson Center, Ruger selling modern bolt action rifles for about the same price or less, it is a difficult choice to have to make. There is nothing wrong with the 8x57 round but the other rifle choices let you pick much more common cartridge calibers though. Easier to find in a store somewhere if you need a box of ammo while out in the field. The rifles I looked at seemed to be caked with old Cosmoline like stuff, but looked to be in nice condition with little use, unless they had polished and reblued them or something.
    These looked like good rifles. I do load and cast for 8x57 but haven't done that much with it. Should be an excellent caliber, just not sure it's as good as a .30-06 or .308 would be.

For me, I've owned(past tense) many .308s and 30-06's; but the 8x57mm is my choice. BUT- I've always been a reloader. If I weren't, things would be different. No one will convince me that it is inferior to them. Now that I shoot cast in it I like it even better. It was the genesis of the modern rifle cartridge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    These looked like good rifles. I do load and cast for 8x57 but haven't done that much with it. Should be an excellent caliber, just not sure it's as good as a .30-06 or .308 would be.
    In Europe the 8x57 was like the 30-06 here in the USA as to popularity. Its only weak point is availability of ammunition at present in the USA, if you need to buy some somewhere on short notice. Many stores don't stock it anymore. Back in the 1960's the major US ammo companies made ammo for it. But now it seems you have to get the ammo from a European company. Which isn't bad as the European ammo is loaded up to its potential. The American companies loaded it weakly as they were worried about the ammo being fired in non-JS capable rifles. There were a number of 7.92x57 rifles imported that have a slightly smaller bore than the current 8x57 JS rounds are. Anyway the 8x57 is a match for the 30-06 and .308 Win. The ballistics have it being about the same for all practical purposes. After WWI and WWII thousands of Mausers were imported and sold as surplus in the US. Thousands were converted to other calibers of course. But many thousands were still used as with 8x57 rounds to hunt big game. In Europe it was the main cartridge used for hunting by most everyone as it was like the 30-06 in popularity here over there. Actually some American companies actually offered their bolt action rifles chambered for the 8x57 cartridge too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 02-25-2019 at 12:00 AM. Reason: add more info

Banned

It's no secret that the US War Department copied the 98 Mauser and 8x57 pretty closely with the 1903 Springfield and .30-06, in fact, I think there was an international patent infringement law suit over it.

I have a bunch of .30 calibers and molds to go with them. I have a few 8mm rifles and molds to go with them. I have no doubt that giver equivalent bullet selection, the 8x57 would be the equal of the '06.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "not sure it's as good as a .30-06 or .308 would be."

Thems fightin' words mister,,,,,,,,

Finding a nice Mauser for $400 nowadays is a win for sure.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    The 1903 was patterned after the 1893 Mausers and the Krag. Design work on the '03 started in 1899 and the Gov't had lots of 1893 Mausers in inventory after the Spanish American war. They probably had zero 1898 Mausers. The only thing on an '03 that was possibly copied from the '98 is the bolt sleeve lock and it is enough different that I doubt it is a patent infringement. The story that it was copied after the '98 Mauser is false but has been repeated for well over 100 years so it is taken as the truth.

Boolit Master

I have heard the argument debated add nauseum in gun rags for well over 50 years and I for one don't really know the complete story on the design/copy of the 1903. Does it really matter. Heck no. They are both great rifles regardless of the story behind them. The only thing I would change about the 1903 would be better sights (too fine and hard to see in dim light) and the firing pin (need to be one piece like the mauser). I like/have both and do not feel handicapped with either when I carry it. The 1903 in particular is light and very quick handling. My first rifle ever was a 98 sportized mauser(I paid a whole $8.00 for it, I think) and I was not disappointed then and am not now. If the current Zastavia(probably misspelled) are as well made as some of their other produced guns, they should sell well and more power to them. my experience anyway, james

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I was looking for a 8mm mauser untill i saw the prices. I know what year it is ut my mind is still living 40 years ago. You can buy a new rifle cheaper than they want for a surplus mauser. I remember passing on some mausers years ago because they were $70 dollars i did pick up an unfired 6.5 swede for $60 dollars and just couldn't see the extra $10 dollars for one that had obviously ben used. I realize that may sound crazy but i still live in the past.

I have an old Turkish Mauser that I sporterized as it was not really all that collectable. I also handload the cartridge and it works very well for anything I would want to hunt with it. Hornady makes a very good 200 grain load for it at around 2400 fps I believe. I have loaded mine up to military specs or so. Last deer I shot with it was with a 150 grain Speer, not loaded super hot but not at starting loads either. The bullet did not shoot through the deer but must of exploded as it had a very large entrance hole. There was no tracking as the deer went down where it was hit. With a different bullet the other deer I shot with it acted were pretty well taken. Handloaded it is a good caliber, the wimpy factory loads not as good. Some claim that one outfit uses 170 grain 32 Special bullets. For the hand loader there are good bullets available.

The 30-06 was for practical purposes a lengthened and necked down 8 mm as the base dimensions are the same. I have made 8mm Mauser brass out of 30-06 cases just for kicks. It does not require a lot of work, just trimming.

DEP

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post

Zastava apparently did a arsenal sporterizing on the rifles, bent the bolt handle down, drilled and tapped them for scope mounts.

But with Remington Savage, Thomson Center, Ruger selling modern bolt action rifles for about the same price or less, it is a difficult choice to have to make.

YMMV, but for the same money, I would much rather have a good Mauser 98 than any of the newer/cheaper plastic/fantastic economy rifles - AND, the 8x57 is no slouch in the game field.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I have an old Turkish Mauser that I sporterized as it was not really all that collectable. I also handload the cartridge and it works very well for anything I would want to hunt with it. Hornady makes a very good 200 grain load for it at around 2400 fps I believe. I have loaded mine up to military specs or so. Last deer I shot with it was with a 150 grain Speer, not loaded super hot but not at starting loads either. The bullet did not shoot through the deer but must of exploded as it had a very large entrance hole. There was no tracking as the deer went down where it was hit. With a different bullet the other deer I shot with it acted were pretty well taken. Handloaded it is a good caliber, the wimpy factory loads not as good. Some claim that one outfit uses 170 grain 32 Special bullets. For the hand loader there are good bullets available.

The 30-06 was for practical purposes a lengthened and necked down 8 mm as the base dimensions are the same. I have made 8mm Mauser brass out of 30-06 cases just for kicks. It does not require a lot of work, just trimming.

DEP

You should try some of the Nosler Ballistic tip bullets in 180 and 200 gr. offerings for excellent DRT kills.Robert

I'm fond of the 8mm Mausers, I have a Brno and a model 98. The war time German 98 is one of the nicest rifles I own but sadly sportsterized. All numbers match and all the Nazi stampings are clear and crisp. I've had the rifle torn completely down and if its been more than test fired it isn't obvious. Looks to me that some old Hynee stashed this rifle as it's very obvious it's never been to war. The front sight has been changed, it's in a sporter stock and has a detachable magazine. Stamped 243 over 1940. Picked this one up for $500 and no, it's not for sale. Gp

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Zastava firearms are excellent, I have an 85 bolt action .223. They have always had USA distributors that let them down, unfortunately. Interarms, Charles Daly, Remington, and now Century. I think the firm would do well to go ahead and set up shop here and do their own distribution.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Well on the plus side the 8mm Mausers won't be banned right away if Sen Feinstein and her gang get their way. Every year they put out their gun control bill that bans anything semi-automatic, lever action, or has a removeable magazine. They actually have a list of guns that are approved and the bolt action Mausers are on their list. Basically anything made with WWII or earlier technology is OK so far. All of our more modern bolt action rifles that have a removeable magazine are also banned of course with their insane anti-gun bill. Anyway, so far her bill hasn't made it out of Committee so far.

Banned

I actually have a very nicely sporterized Chech Mauser in .30-06, plus a few commercial '98 Mausers (Santa Barbara, Interarms Mark X and Sears Model 50), I like Mausers and have been kind of on a Mauser kick the past few years. I've been kind of gravitating to the small rings ones the past year or so. Only 8x57 I have in the stable is an ameteurish sporterized Oviedo I need to get back to working with. Maybe I ought to trade something off and pick up one of these Zastavas.

Boolit Master
    I found some information showing bullet velocities for comparing some 8mm vs 30-06 rounds. The 8mm stuff is no slouch when it comes to slinging bullets downrange.
    8mm:
    1. Standard Yugoslavian was 196gr @ ~2450ft/s. That's 2.61 kfpe.
    2. Standard Turk (at least, 1951 headstamp) was 155gr @ 2960ft/s. 3.01 kfpe.
    3. Standard German was 154gr @ 2880ft/s (I think). 2.83 kfpe.

.30-06:
    M1 Ball was 172gr @ 2700ft/s. 2.78 kfpe. (Boat-tailed.)
    M2 Ball was 152gr @ 2740ft/s. 2.53 kfpe. (Flat-based bullets.)

and
    From GUNS Magazine article:
    The Yugoslav ball managed 2,471 fps, with an extreme spread of 135 fps and standard deviation of 38 fps. Groups from the newly bedded K98k ranged from 2.7 to 4 inches, with the most often encountered five-round spread measuring just under 3 inches. The S&B sporting round employed a 197-grain soft-point over 42 grains of stick powder at 2,556 fps, 141 extreme spread and an SD of 41. Groups measured 4, 2.7 and 1.3 inches. The Turkish ball (154 Grain) was the most consistent of the lot. Average velocity was 2,977 fps with an extreme spread of only 60 fps and SD of 18 fps.

ref https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...us-8mm.215954/

FYI They mentioned the 762x54R too
    7.62x54R (I used 7.62x54R.net as my source)
    Prvi Partisan FMJ: 150gr FMJBT @ 2800 ft/s. 2.61 kfpe
    Hungarian Yellow Tip: 182gr FMJBT @ 2660 ft/s. 2.86 kfpe
    Hungarian Light Ball ('80s): 149gr FMJBT @ 2820 ft/s. 2.63 kfpe
    Russian 7N1: 152gr FMJBT @ 2725 ft/s. 2.50 kfpe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast