Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Carbine

I have 3 currently, the oldest of the lot the .40sw is on loan to the son in law for general house and loved ones protection.

My wife loves the 9mm with a Truglo Red Dot sight.

While I like them all, my favorite is the latest, and the only one bought new, the .45acp.

Like all the others it is equipped with the front handgrip, a decent Red Dot sight.

None of the 3 have ever given me a lick of trouble. I did have one magazine give me some feed issues once. Figured it got dropped full and landed on the feed lips.

2 minutes comparing to the one that worked and a needle nose pliers fixed it.

I do also have the C9 handgun. 100$ pawnshop find. It had a broken magazine release part. So I called the factory, gave the serial #, they said they would send the part right out. It arrived with clear instructions, pictures, a magazine, and a mag loader. All at no cost in 3 days.

Yes I AM a Highpoint Fan. And proud of it.

Do accept that chances are they are not a MOA rifle no matter what you do.
    Reasonable accuracy yes. A long barreled Bolt gun they are not.

What they are, is inexpensive, easy to handle, great in close quarters situations, way more accurate than a handgun, and a barrel of fun to shoot. My opinion, YMMV.

Boolit Master

Nothing wrong with Hi-point. They work. And they have a great warranty. I have all the calibers they make in pistols too. I had to have my 40 fixed. The slide locked back every round fired. Bought it used. They fixed it. 8 day turn around time. They sent an extra mag for my trouble and polished the feed ramp and did some other extras.

Boolit Master
    I have the HiPoint in .40 S&W, and have been looking for the .45 ACP version at a decent price, but to no avail.
    If you really want the Ruger in 9mm, PSA has them right now for $449.99 with free shipping. That's less than $150 more than the HiPoint - brand new.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

I bought the 9 mm when Hi-point first changed the style of the carbine. Only ammo it did not like was some Pakistani surplus, which was erratic in my pistols also. Got the .45 Auto a couple years ago. They are not straight forward to strip down the first time, but You Tube helps a lot. After several times of taking them apart, the process is not a big deal. Both the front and rear sights are adjustable. Attached a green laser to the rail under the muzzle on both, and dialed them in to 25 yards. Allows me to take a dip of Copenhagen with one hand, and shoot from the hip with my other hand. Hi-point sells a double magazine holder for the shoulder stock which I thought might interfere with my face while sighting, but does not. The extra magazines are roughly either side of $20.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Boolit Master
    I recently noticed that Hi-Point is selling a high capacity 20 round magazine for the .45 ACP version carbine. They are now selling a 20 round magazine for the 9mm carbine too. So if they are selling it then it shouldn't void the warranty.

Boolit Master

I mentioned the high capacity redball sports magazines , I shot my 9mm today not a hiccup in the clip . Also son gave me one of the high capacity magazines in 45 today he got sent to him by one of the people who is part of the company overheard him telling a coworker about the carbine I gave him. And yes they are authorized by hi point and sold through them.

Boolit Master

I remember when they 1st came out 25+yrs ago. I was running a Gun Shop near LA,CA.
    We did sell them, at 130bucks anybody could afford them.
    They came back broken at the rate of 1 to every 3 sold.
    Those broken ones were probably the only 1 out of the 3 that were actually fired.

I did manage to shoot one once. Extractor fell apart on the 3rd shot.

I wouldn't take one for free. Now or then. Or any thing made by hi-point or mks supply.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Yes both the Red Ball 9mm 20 round mag and the .45acp double stack into single stack mag have highpoint's seal of approval and will not void the warranty.

I have not bought the 20 round .45 mag yet but will be shortly.

I had 2 of the Red Ball 9mm mags, both worked perfectly.
    And I let my shooting buddy talk me out of my backup 9mm and one 20 round mag. (smacks self on head, Idiot) Sigh

Banned
    I have a carbine in 45acp. It works great my complaint is the trigger pull is heavy with no relief in sight. I recommend the Kel-Tec 9mm.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-25-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Boolit Master
    What kind of accuracy can one expect at distances longer than pistol length? Went through almost two pages of posts and nothing remotely related to long range accuracy. See a lot of posters are also using factory bullets. Come on guys this a cast bullet site.

I don't own a HP.............never even seen one in my area. I do own a 9mm CZ Scorpion. I know this carbine is not in the same price range. The other carbine I considered was the Beretta Storm............the Ruger hadn't come out yet.

I have sent thousands of cast bullets down my backyard range, varying in weights from 115 to 150 grains. I usually shoot seated at 60 yards, using only a camera tripod for a front rest, shoulder the rear. For load development, I mount a fixed four power scope. Otherwise, it wears a red dot. I have yet to find a bullet/powder combination that will shoot under two inches for ten shots. Two to three inches is the norm. However, it's fun trying.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    What kind of accuracy can one expect at distances longer than pistol length? Went through almost two pages of posts and nothing remotely related to long range accuracy. See a lot of posters are also using factory bullets. Come on guys this a cast bullet site.

Winelover
    Well the carbine extends the range for accuracy out to 100 yards or so. 50 Yards is more typical though. There are some videos of people shooting Hi Point 9mm carbines and 45 carbines out past 400 yards and actually hitting what they were shooting at too. Cast bullets are not a problem. But one might have to experiment to get the best accuracy. I have reloaded my 45 with cast bullets and it works fine. Accuracy seems to be about the same as using jacketed bullets. For 9mm I haven't really bothered with it yet, as 9mm ammo is just so darn cheap at present. I did shoot a bunch of the Rem UMC ammo that uses lead bullets, not jacketed. There could be a conundrum of a sorts with 9mm as a cast bullet sized for the barrel may not chamber when loaded into the cartridge. But I don't remember anyone having problems with cast bullets in the 9mm carbines. The short stubby fat pistol bullets will never get kudos for super accuracy though.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 02-25-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

I had some issues with leading in my 10mm with cast boolits. Mostly on the muzzle brake. I had to slow them down. They were coated cast bhn 18.

Boolit Master

Next time i take out the carbines i'll get some grouping pics.

I had no problem putting 230 gr .45acp cast into a 2" stick on bullseye at 100.

At 75 it was cloverleafing some of them.

That is with a red dot sight. A scope would give you more long range precision.

But I prefer the Red Dot for close quarters quick alignment.

If I need to hit a golf ball at 150 yards I have rifles that will do it if I do my part.
    I don't need the Hipoint carbine to do so. YMMV.

I have no idea about accuracy potential, I’m a plinker. It’s a good rifle for that. I also like the sights. The magazines suck, 10 round single stack or 20 round single stack. The grip is also rather thick which is frustrating given it’s single stack magazine.

My last complaint is the stock cushion. It’s spring loaded and just odd, it pinches your cheek and shoulder.

I really do like the gun but am hoping to upgrade to a Ruger PC-9 due to the magazine compatibility and threaded barrel. If you are looking for a cheap plinking rifle, the hi point is perfect.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    I have no idea about accuracy potential, I’m a plinker. It’s a good rifle for that. I also like the sights. The magazines suck, 10 round single stack or 20 round single stack. The grip is also rather thick which is frustrating given it’s single stack magazine.

My last complaint is the stock cushion. It’s spring loaded and just odd, it pinches your cheek and shoulder.

I really do like the gun but am hoping to upgrade to a Ruger PC-9 due to the magazine compatibility and threaded barrel. If you are looking for a cheap plinking rifle, the hi point is perfect.
    +1 on that funky spring cushioned butt stock.
    I removed the springs, removed and drilled a thru hole in the center plug, and used it as a drill guide to drill thru the stock.
    I drilled the hole in the stock bigger for screw clearance, and taped that hole in the center plug 10-24 .
    Put it back together, minus the springs, and added a screw thru the stock and screwed into the newly tapped hole in the center plug.
    This holds the butt plate against the stock, no more movement/cheek pinch.
    whew, should have taken pic,

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 9mm back 20 years ago when I was in high school, clearly one of the early iterations, was definitely built cheap. As I recall trigger wasn’t bad, but again that was 20+ Years ago. What I do recall for sure, was that with factory ammo myself, and my Dad could hit anything we pointed that gun at hands down. I sold it out of desperation for cash, Dad was disappointed.

Sorry but I never shot cast through it, that was loooong before I even knew home casting was a thing.

Banned

Is there a good brass catcher available for these?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Is there a good brass catcher available for these?
    I was thinking that the Caldwell AR 15 strap on brass catcher should work. Not sure though. I need to break out mine and see if it does work. But it might scratch the rifle in use though. They have a Caldwell AR 15 Picatinny rail version brass catcher, but the Hi-Point uses the Weaver rails, so you would need to file down the attachment cross screw shoulder to fit the Hi=Point rail. But then it should work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    +1 on that funky spring cushioned butt stock.
    I removed the springs, removed and drilled a thru hole in the center plug, and used it as a drill guide to drill thru the stock.
    I drilled the hole in the stock bigger for screw clearance, and taped that hole in the center plug 10-24 .
    Put it back together, minus the springs, and added a screw thru the stock and screwed into the newly tapped hole in the center plug.
    This holds the butt plate against the stock, no more movement/cheek pinch.
    whew, should have taken pic,
    I modded mine as well. I think I just took the spring out and screwed the buttplate back on. It’s better but still not perfect.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast