Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Carbine

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Here is the statute I think & is the one that I was told was/is the reason why Dunham Sports would not sell me one the day after I read the sale was on for them & went to the Red Wing, Mn. store to look at one in .45acp just to have as a cheap fun plinking handgun.

Evidently this is the MN Statute that applies:

624.712 Subd. 4.Saturday night special pistol.

"Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:

(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or

(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or

(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

Source: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.712

I am not sure just what criteria above is the deciding factor , or if there is more than one without more research, but that is what I was going on, when I posted my earlier post.

The law may or may not been in effect when your other pistols were obtained, or something like that. I have a HP .380 that came in a trade, and I enjoy firing it on occasion. I do not know where it came from other than the guy I got it from. It is not a bad shooter for what it costs, IMO.

Anyway, do not want to sidetrack too much, but that is "the skinny" on what I currently know about HP & MN sales...
    So the zinc is the sticking point? What an absurd statute
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Agreed, but when did gun control laws ever make sense?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Agreed, but when did gun control laws ever make sense?
    Yes, It is pretty absurd & lacks sense... Typical of a law made by legislators, who , while likely meaning well,. did a really poor job at it...

Considering the slide is the only part that is a zinc alloy
    Hi-Point semi-automatic pistols are polymer-framed and generally regarded as simple, inexpensive handguns, which trade-off aesthetics for lower manufacturing cost. ...Snip...
    The slide is die cast from a zinc-family alloy that includes aluminum, magnesium, and copper and is called Zamak-3, rather than machined from forged steel.
    Source:https://guns.fandom.com/wiki/Hi-Point_Firearms

The whole basis of such a statute , from what I understand, is that the legislature figured that the lower the cost of the firearm, & the use of "pot metals" was both dangerous from a crime standpoint by having lower cost handguns be easier for criminals to obtain, as well as their "safety concerns" that such firearms would blow up on someone.

Now, it is entirely likely that either "may" be true, but the descriptions used, might equally be false.

So, like most laws & taxes implemented by gubment, these type laws remain "on the books", with no one interested in taking them off, because it would look like the ones trying were not "tough on crime", nor interested in "public safety".

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    A bit late to the party. My 9mm hi point doesn't like 147 hp rainier lead safes, but seems to run everything else well. It does stove pipe occasionally when dirty or not lube enough. I cracked the base of the original factory mag by dropping the grip on a table while the front was supported by a bipod. The 20 round redball magazine I bought works well as a 15 round mag, if I put more than that in they nose dive into the feed ramp and jam.

I too removed the springs from the butt, in my rifle the recoil is surprisingly sharp if only wearing a tee shirt. Nothing mean, but just surprising.

As previously noted it is kind of a pain to disassemble and the rear sight has to be removed to remove the action cover. I didn't like having to recheck the sight zero every time I cleaned it.

My brother in law shoots lefty and had issues with it spitting cases and powder into his face, while my Ruger PC has the action further forward and clears his face.

All that said, it is a fun rifle to shoot and surprisingly easy to shoot accurately. I had a scope on mine for a while but went back to the factory sights, I enjoyed it more as a iron (plastic) sighted carbine My dad was impressed watching me bounce golf balls around on the berm until he tried and realized that that rifle made it seem easy.

Having recently purchased a Ruger PC carbine am thinking I will be selling my Hi Point.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master

Caldwell AR 15 brass catcher on 4595

I was thinking that the Caldwell AR 15 strap on brass catcher should work.
    It does work great for me on my Highpoint 4595 carbine. The velcro strap fits perfectly under one of the slots under the rail , and I am pleased to say that it has captured 100% of my brass. So far, I have only collected 20 rounds at a time before pulling the zipper to empty it.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Now if I could find something that works well with my Walther PPQ 45.
    Last edited by ghh3rd; 03-02-2019 at 05:42 PM.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Here is the statute I think & is the one that I was told was/is the reason why Dunham Sports would not sell me one the day after I read the sale was on for them & went to the Red Wing, Mn. store to look at one in .45acp just to have as a cheap fun plinking handgun.

Evidently this is the MN Statute that applies:

624.712 Subd. 4.Saturday night special pistol.

"Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:

(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or

(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or

(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

Source: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.712

I am not sure just what criteria above is the deciding factor , or if there is more than one without more research, but that is what I was going on, when I posted my earlier post.

The law may or may not been in effect when your other pistols were obtained, or something like that. I have a HP .380 that came in a trade, and I enjoy firing it on occasion. I do not know where it came from other than the guy I got it from. It is not a bad shooter for what it costs, IMO.

Anyway, do not want to sidetrack too much, but that is "the skinny" on what I currently know about HP & MN sales...
    These Saturday Night Specials laws were enacted to prevent the poor from being able to buy guns. Typical of the Democrats in their zeal to keep the low income blacks and Hispanics from owning guns. The Democrats are the real racists. All of the old gun laws they passed after the civil war specifically targeted the minorities. Hi Point was amazing in being able to manufacture guns and sell them at low cost. it really irked the Democrats a lot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    These Saturday Night Specials laws were enacted to prevent the poor from being able to buy guns. Typical of the Democrats in their zeal to keep the low income blacks and Hispanics from owning guns. The Democrats are the real racists. All of the old gun laws they passed after the civil war specifically targeted the minorities. Hi Point was amazing in being able to manufacture guns and sell them at low cost. it really irked the Democrats a lot.
    I agree.
    It was one of the two reasons I reckon they were trying to cover.
    Fighting "Crime" (Such firearms were less costly so poor could afford them, as well as criminals) & "Public Safety.

See post #43.

Regardless, I think they were poorly written laws.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Soon as we get some decent weather ill get some grouping pics up of each carbine at 50 yards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    It does work great for me on my Highpoint 4595 carbine. The velcro strap fits perfectly under one of the slots under the rail , and I am pleased to say that it has captured 100% of my brass. So far, I have only collected 20 rounds at a time before pulling the zipper to empty it.
    If this one is like the $8 I bought off Ebay, it will also work on a 1907 Winchester. After spending a lot more time hunting down that hard to find, expensive brass, I knew I needed to figure something out and it worked.

Boolit Master

When im shooting off the bench. I sit a box with the opening next to the gun to catch the brass. If im standing and im going to take my 10mm out i use a portable gazebo with a tarp wall to catch the brass. Them 10's throw the brass far lol.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090397.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	237305

I modified a brass catcher designed for AR-15's made by E & L Enterprises (Eugene, OR) to fit my Scorpion. I don't know if their still in business. They use to advertise in the back pages of the gun rags. It also fits my AR-10, after modification.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Rain Sat night and sunday. Should wash the snow away. Monday i'll get the gun club. And ill get the grouping done. Sunny and 45 monday. Works for me lol.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Well that's really something. The reason it didn't explode doesn't require a ton of speculation, it's not a locked breech design. Being a blowback the pressure would have caused the bolt to open and blow all the gas out of the ejection port. Still does prove that the carbines are pretty overbuilt if they can survive that type of abuse, but if you're going to be using inexpensive materials and techniques, large design margins are the way you can do it.

Boolit Master
    I dunno, as I've never handled one, But I think one would notice the firearm getting front heavy.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I finally got the grouping done. The 9mm and 40 are at 50 yards. With a dot sight. Off the bench i forgot my sand bag. The 45 and 10mm at 100 yards. Them i have scopes on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8229.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	238550 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8232.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	238551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8239.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	238552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8240.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	238553
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

That 45 is the keeper of that bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I do like my 995 carbine. It in turn likes the Lee 358 125 flat nose bullet which I have a 6 cavity mold for and can produce till the cows come home.

Pertaining to the cost of the High point pistols and them being declared Saturday night specials. Since when is the cost of a stolen pistol relevant?
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

My 45 at 75 was IMO even better group than the one above. Course being shorter it should be.

I think if I wanted to swap the Red Dot for a scope, especially a 3x9 or 4x12 I could improve on that group quite a lot.

But for me, for what I expect out of it, what I want it to do, it does just fine.
    Ugly is as ugly does. And these do well enough for me to make it easy to overlook the purely physical.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast