Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point Carbine

Boolit Master

Hi Point Carbine

I am interested in getting a 9mm. And would like to hear from others on what works and what doesn't. I would prefer to get a ruger carbine but i can get 2 of the Hi Points for the price of one of those.
    I am looking for information on bullet types, Magazines, Powder, After market parts, Sight preference.
    Throughing flames at me teaches no one. So please don't. But Telling what doesn't work is also appreciated. Kevin

Banned

I had one,it ate everything I put in it,lead, jacketed. never one problem with it. I bought one in 45acp yesterday. Expect it to be the same.

Boolit Master
    I have one in 40 S&w. Shoots lead great. As for as parts u don’t need them they shoot good without them. I did take off my factory rear sight and install a red dot. There just a fun gun to load for and shoot. My best load for accuracy was hs6 and a plated lead bullet from rainier. It was there 165 gr hp beval base. I have tried a lot of different loads but most shoot good at 25 yards. All the aftermarket parts just add bling to the gun. If you like that go ahead at least you will have gun that you customize yourself.

Boolit Master

I have 4 of them. The 9mm 40sw 45 and the 10mm they are awesome. I did take off the stock sights and put red dot scopes on 2 of them. And regular scopes on the other 2. I do recommend putting some blue loc-tite on the bolt handle knob.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several in 9 and 45acp. Eats everything
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Here in MN we can't buy the HP handguns over the counter legally due to MN law. The MN state classifies them as "Saturday Night Specials" due to the alloy composition or some ** like that.

I am wondering the same about their carbines.

I would be interested in one, but have to wait for the $$ to add up. Limited incomes do that , y'know.

Anyway, I also find it interesting that so many folks put down the Hi-point handguns as low quality, but seem to think the carbines are just fine. Kind of strange to me, anyway..

Kind of funny that folks don't think the same about a plastic stocked Daisy bbgun as compared to an upper end air rifle in the same way.

Just some ramblings on a Sunday morning with a bit of "blizzard conditions" as they call it, going on outside...

Anyway, G'Luck! if ya decide on one of these HPs & I will be interested in your "review" if ya do get one & take the time to share it here!

P.S. - and Thanks! to the ones who have already shared their "reviews".
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

I know I want one. I'd probably lean towards a .45 ACP or 10mm, but I wouldn't turn down a good deal on a 9mm either. Any review I ever read on them always starts out like "I wanted to hate this gun...until..." Everybody seems to love them. Sure do look fun.

Boolit Master

Everyone else seems to be changing the sights. I had already bought a red dot for my 9mm but after shooting it I found I like the ghost ring sights quite well. Very quick target acquisition with them. Try them first before just changing them out. You may be surprised. My carbine also shoots any kind of ammo I put through it. It loves the Lee 358-105 SWC which makes me real happy.

Boolit Master
    I have the .45 ACP version and I like it quite a bit. Although I put on a red dot sight, the open sights on the carbine work pretty well. Anyway my carbine shot everything I fed it without any issues.

Boolit Master

I bought a 9 a 40 and a 45 a couple of years ago , loved them all gave the 9 to daughter , bought more this past christmas , a 9 a 40 and a 45 , then I see a package deal with the 9 having the redball sports magazines and a fore grip added in for next to nothing so I had to order 2 more .

Gave the son in law his own 9 and my son a 9 , kept a 9 and the larger calibers for myself . Great shooters , buy the 9 or 45 and redball sports makes the high capacity magazines , my understanding is they will be making them for the other calibers also . I use the factory sights myself but I can see where a red dot or scope would be quite useful , as has been noted the bolt handle does need to be tight , swear I am going to break it but if it is not tight it will loosen .

If something happens even your fault they repair or replace , as to the pistols , I ended up with a pair of 40 off gunbroker as I put in a bid as 2 had extra magazines and at the low price I couldnt pass it up. I am using cast in my hi points and whatever load or powder my different handguns use , no problems , so to sum it up the only aftermarket item I have is the magazines by redball sports , grabagun online hed the magazines for the 9 and they were cheapest I could find , wish you luck and good shooting.

I have one in 9mm. Like said above it eats anything and ifps pretty accurate also. Great for the wife and children for light recoil.

Boolit Master
    I have actually seriously considered getting the .380 Auto version too. In looking at the Ballistics By the Inch website the .380 turns into something of a magnum when used with carbine length barrels. But it just seems like a fun caliber to shoot.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I have one in 40 S&W and a 9mm. The 40 S&W shoots the LEE 175 TC bullet very accurately.

Unfortunately, the 9mm is not so easy to please, accuracy wise. I have tried numerous combinations of cast, (different styles, alloys and diameters) and jacketed bullets with different powders and the accuracy is all over the place, mostly poor, except with one specific load which meets my satisfaction. That is the HOR HAP .356 jacketed bullet and Unique powder. I recently acquired some 130 gr. .356 WIN FMJ bullets but have not had a chance to use them in the 995 yet. These are definitely cheaper than the HOR so therefore more attractive to me if they work.

I removed the rear sight and as much of the front sight as I could and installed a red dot on both.

There has never been a problem with functioning, except when I didn't get the magazine inserted fully. The magazines sit flush, in the 995, with the bottom of the grip and can be a minor issue to seat fully, especially when fully loaded and the bolt is closed. I found a 1/4" butt pad spacer and made some "bumper" pads for the magazines which I screwed and glued on. Makes a HUGE difference.

As has been stated in previous posts, ABSOLUTELY FUN to shoot. I just wish they made a double stack magazine version. I thoroughly dislike the extended magazines and the single stack seem to be empty all the time. Can't figure out why!
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Here in MN we can't buy the HP handguns over the counter legally due to MN law. The MN state classifies them as "Saturday Night Specials" due to the alloy composition or some ** like that.

>>>SNIP
    JB,
    Are you 100% sure about that?
    I have bought several HP handguns at FFL dealers. One NIB at Cabelas. One NIB at a pawnshop in Monticello. One NIB at a gunshow from a Large FFL dealer...and never had any different checkout forms or wait period than any other handgun.

To the OP,
    I had a 40 cal HP Carbine, bought it used from a MN FFL dealer and in MN you do need a Pistol purchase permit or Carry permit to purchase the HP Carbine, just like you need one for a AR-15. MN classifies them the same.
    BTW, My Carbine would successfully feed all the cast boolit styles that I had molds for, even though I bought it specifically for shooting home swaged jacketed bullets made from BT_Snipers die. The factory Mags work well...and I don't recall seeing any aftermarket mags made for it?
    LASTLY, I think the factory sights look crude, maybe that's why many people swap them out? But even though they are crude, they worked well, no complaints about functionality from me.

ALSO, I should add that I had a first generation HP carbine, I think they changed sight options after that generation? regular sights plus ghost rings? I know they did that with the Pistols anyway.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    JB,
    Are you 100% sure about that?
    I have bought several HP handguns at FFL dealers. One NIB at Cabelas. One NIB at a pawnshop in Monticello. One NIB at a gunshow from a Large FFL dealer...and never had any different checkout forms or wait period than any other handgun.
    Here is the statute I think & is the one that I was told was/is the reason why Dunham Sports would not sell me one the day after I read the sale was on for them & went to the Red Wing, Mn. store to look at one in .45acp just to have as a cheap fun plinking handgun.

Evidently this is the MN Statute that applies:

624.712 Subd. 4.Saturday night special pistol.

"Saturday night special pistol" means a pistol other than an antique firearm or a pistol for which the propelling force is carbon dioxide, air or other vapor, or children's pop guns or toys, having a frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breechblock:

(1) of any material having a melting point (liquidus) of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, or

(2) of any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or

(3) of any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter.

Source: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/624.712

I am not sure just what criteria above is the deciding factor , or if there is more than one without more research, but that is what I was going on, when I posted my earlier post.

The law may or may not been in effect when your other pistols were obtained, or something like that. I have a HP .380 that came in a trade, and I enjoy firing it on occasion. I do not know where it came from other than the guy I got it from. It is not a bad shooter for what it costs, IMO.

Anyway, do not want to sidetrack too much, but that is "the skinny" on what I currently know about HP & MN sales...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    SNIP...

Here is the statute I think & is the one that I was told was/is the reason why Dunham Sports would not sell me one the day after I read the sale was on for them & went to the Red Wing, Mn. store to look at one in .45acp just to have as a cheap fun plinking handgun.

Anyway, do not want to sidetrack too much, but that is "the skinny" on what I currently know about HP & MN sales...
    Thanks for the news. I wasn't aware...after a bit of searching on reddit, it sounds like the Hi Point Pistol was added to the "Minnesota Saturday Night Special List" sometime in 2016 or 2017.

====
    Also, the following was on sportsmans outdoor's website
    Hi Point pistols are illegal for sale in the states of Illinois and Minnesota due to "melting point" laws.
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...r-frame-pistol

====
    For the OP, The HP carbine listed at sportsmans outdoor's does NOT have the same sales exclusion comment.
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...2.cfm/ID/76136

====
    No worries about sidetrack, I would think this topic is important to the OP.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    They must have changed the laws. Most local gun stores have them on display and sale.
    Thanks everyone that has responded. My mind is finally made up. I'm ordering one as soon as my gun guy comes back from vacation.

I don't know about 9mm, but I love my 45 acp! eats everything and very accurate. I would recommend these carbines for sure!

Boolit Master

I have BDC scopes on my 45 and 10mm. Shooting 12x20 steel silhouette plate at 100 yards. I have to use the 1st ''notch'' on the scope for the 45. The 10mm i use the center cross hairs and hit the plate . The 40 and 9mm i have red dot scopes on. Have not tried them over 50 yards.

I wish they made those so they would work with other manufacturer's magazines.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast