RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Gas check sizes

Boolit Master

Gas check sizes

I'm sure this kind of thing has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything specific to my problem. I'm having trouble with some powder coated Lee 312-160 bullets. I have a bunch of old Ideal 30 cal gas checks that I've picked up for next to nothing as gun shows over the years, and a box of Hornady checks.

The bullets shanks run about .288". The checks run about .285". The old Ideal checks are even smaller. I made a punch to open them up, and that works for the Hornady checks. They slip on fine and once sized they stay on tight. The old Ideal checks just fall off. I think I'll just chuck them.

The Hornady checks work, but it's a time-consuming pain to open them up. I've been thinking about ordering some new checks. Does anyone have any other brands of 30 cal checks that measure slightly larger?

Moderator Emeritus

NOE has Gator gas checks which are now on sale. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=838 I've never used this brand, but have used the .40/.41 size which works quite well.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Before you give up on the Ideal checks, try annealing a few and trying them. They'll open up easier and annealing will eliminate spring back when you seat/size them.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the tip! I annealed a few and it worked just as you say.

I still think I'll buy a new stock of checks, since I need a couple other calibers also. I'll anneal and open these up with my punch as I get time, but I'd still like to find some that were ever-so-slightly larger to begin with.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE also sells a tool to open up the checks slightly, you might want to check on them when you look at their sale checks. I have no affiliation with them other than using their products.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

A drop of super glue in the gc. Install the check and let the bullet sit standing up for a couple hours. The super glue sets and the gc isn't coming off.

Boolit Master

Well, I started using some of the bullets I made with the old Ideal checks, and discovered that some were still loose. I got a new mold and used some on those bullets and they nearly all fell off after sizing, even annealed. I super-glued a few but that seems to be an exercise in frustration; I just don't have the time or patience for that kind of thing. It seems that everyone has their own one thing that they hate about the reloading process. For me it's installing gas checks.

I think part of my problem with size is due to the fact that I'm installing the checks after powder coating. I tried installing before powder coating but some popped off after baking.

I have to wonder how people used these old Ideal checks. They seem about useless to me. I think I'm going to end up chucking them and just buying new checks. I don't use very many checks so I thought I could make them work, but I've reached my limit with them...

Boolit Master
    i super glue them on also as forrest said

In Remembrance
    30 caliber gas checks fit best on .284 shanks. Thats the standard size.

Boolit Master
    In this case the mold has been cut wrong, the shank should fit std. gas checks, some Lees fit some don't, you pays your money and take your chances.

http://www.lasc.us/CheckShankSize.htm
    Handy chart for Gator checks.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gas_Check_Dimensions.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	244903

Yep, I was going to say the same, if your bullet shank is .288 that's abnormally large. Standard gas check shank for 30 caliber is .284 and when I apply mine they grip very well but I make mine out of aluminum, can't speak for Hornady or Ideal but I would try a different mold as I am pretty sure you'll have problems with all standard gas checks if your bullet shank is indeed .288