RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot full house 44 magnum rounds in a Magnum Research Desert Eagle?

Anyone shoot full house 44 magnum rounds in a Magnum Research Desert Eagle?

I saw a Desert Eagle in 44 mag for sale the other day and was wondering if that thing would hold up under a W296 load... Or a steady diet of w296 loads...
    I love shooting full house loads in my Ruger Redhawk, but it is a Ruger...
    Would be kinda fun to be able to send 2000 grain of lead down range at about 1500 fps in a second or two...from a pistol.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

That is one heavy .44 cal boolit!

Boolit Buddy
    Can't help there, as I have the 50AE, and I use a 325gr. hollow point, with 23grains of 2400.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have shot 296 loads thru mine. Only have about 4-500 thru the gun. shot cast thru it until I heard it was a no-no. Haven't shot it in years though.

Boolit Master
    #2 son has/had one. Always shot full load jacketed in it. Never shot cast. Manual warned of plugging the gas system. Not sure if that was true or not but didn't want to try and fix. My cast is all with clip on wheel weights.

Boolit Grand Master

My son in law bought a 44 mag DE , we shot some heavy factory loads through it and a S&W model 29 revolver . We started with the model 29 and each fired 6 rounds . No problem with it .
    After we each fired 3 to 5 rounds with the DE we both had enough.
    As that big slide slams to the rear then slams forward...it increases the felt recoil.. a lot. The recoil impulse is very long and the slides back and forth movement makes it seem like a lot more recoil.

We went back to the revolver , shot up the rest of the ammo with it...and enjoyed it ! Son in law sold the DE .

In theory the heavy DE with it's heavy slide should have less felt recoil...but I swear both of us felt more recoil..or something and found the revolver much easier and pleasant to shoot.

I know this flies in the face of what the experts say...but I'll take a revolver in 44 magnum any day .

I don't believe you will be emptying the DE magazine in a split second like a plastic wonder nine...that big boy Desert Eagle jumps around just a little a bit .

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-24-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    I have a desert eagle 44 magnum. I've shot 240gr jacketed loads that were full house loads. I also shot the same loads thru my Ruger Super Red Hawk and the recoil doesn't feel as bad thru the DE as it does thru the 9" Ruger. I believe you must have a typo there isn't a 2000gr 44 mag bullet. Maybe you meant 200 gr. Lead is a NO NO in a DE because it WILL sooner or later plug the gas ports in the DE. Mine is extremely accurate with a maximum load of 2400.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I don't own one so if i am talking out my backside then forgive me. Has anyone ever actually clogged up a gas port. I shoot several simi rifles with cast bullets and never had a problem. I am wondering if this warning is an abundance of caution on something that could happen but never has.

I shot 310grs in my RH and that is more then I like to shoot on a normal time.only once in great time.I shot other lighter boolits but at mag loads.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I don't own one so if i am talking out my backside then forgive me. Has anyone ever actually clogged up a gas port. I shoot several simi rifles with cast bullets and never had a problem. I am wondering if this warning is an abundance of caution on something that could happen but never has.
    Yes, people have clogged up the gas ports on them, and to clean them out is almost impossible as the design does not lend itself to cleaning out the gas system. There are posts on this forum about the issues and those that have had that exact problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I have a desert eagle 44 magnum. I've shot 240gr jacketed loads that were full house loads. I also shot the same loads thru my Ruger Super Red Hawk and the recoil doesn't feel as bad thru the DE as it does thru the 9" Ruger. I believe you must have a typo there isn't a 2000gr 44 mag bullet. Maybe you meant 200 gr. Lead is a NO NO in a DE because it WILL sooner or later plug the gas ports in the DE. Mine is extremely accurate with a maximum load of 2400.
    No typo, but 9 x 240 grain boolits is a little more than 2000 grains, actually 2160...
    WWG1WGA

I used to carry a snub 44 and loaded 29 gr h110 with a 180 gr hp. And they aren't for the timid.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I used to carry a snub 44 and loaded 29 gr h110 with a 180 gr hp. And they aren't for the timid.
    Jesus, if you miss, you'll catch 'em on fire.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    No typo, but 9 x 240 grain boolits is a little more than 2000 grains, actually 2160...
    Yes, I figured out what you were referring to...............later.

44blam you bet ycha. If i misses it would scare the devil out of em.

The DE will take a steady diet of full power 44mags but I would hesitate to shoot uncoated lead because of the gas port system.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Only shot a de in 357 mag ,thought it cut the recoil compared to my 686 .still preferred the 686 though.

TONS of 180g-200g jacketed HP with stout loads of 296 / H110. Working on my PC coated rounds, the chamber shaves it a bit of the bullet on mine, but others have had success with PC lead rounds. I've also tried other super heavy j words and the recoil is nothing out of that gun.

The flame and concussion using 296 significant (i.e. awesome), but not unshootable. They are really useful if someone at the range shoots their gun sideways or is otherwise being generally discourteous. Start hammering with this rounds and people tend to leave.

As mentioned by 6bg6ga, the same ammo in the super red hawk has more recoil, even more so to the point of pain in a 6 inch standard Redhawk. The DE is much softer shooting, as others have mentioned, with the overall weight and slide. Check the video below for the example of the recoil.

FYI i did have some mag issues early on. The detent on the mag follower was causing drag issues. But if you can handle and like shooting your Ruger, the DE is even better!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	236932

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	236933

Last edited by Dutchninja; 02-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Yes, I figured out what you were referring to...............later.

understood

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchninja View Post
    TONS of 180g-200g jacketed HP with stout loads of 296 / H110. Working on my PC coated rounds, the chamber shaves it a bit of the bullet on mine, but others have had success with PC lead rounds. I've also tried other super heavy j words and the recoil is nothing out of that gun.

The flame and concussion using 296 significant (i.e. awesome), but not unshootable. They are really useful if someone at the range shoots their gun sideways or is otherwise being generally discourteous. Start hammering with this rounds and people tend to leave.

As mentioned by 6bg6ga, the same ammo in the super red hawk has more recoil, even more so to the point of pain in a 6 inch standard Redhawk. The DE is much softer shooting, as others have mentioned, with the overall weight and slide. Check the video below for the example of the recoil.

FYI i did have some mag issues early on. The detent on the mag follower was causing drag issues. But if you can handle and like shooting your Ruger, the DE is even better!

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	236932

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	236933

That's awesome.
    WWG1WGA