Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rossi, are they worth buying

I have a 357 and never bothered to "slick it up" and still like it. Levers tend to slick up anyway just unloading and shooting them. About the only thing I could complain about with mine is that it does have a short stock. In the 357 its no big deal but it might be an issue in 44 mag. There are also some very blunt nosed ammo types that it does not care for but it feeds well with most. I like mine and shoot it a lot.

DEP

Boolit Buddy
    What's a good price on a stainless one, saw 2 in a lgs for $695?

Boolit Grand Master

I got my first Rossi in 1969 and carried it in the cruiser for years, wife hunted with it and it got shot a lot, no problems. Since then I have owned or worked on maybe a hundred of these and each with minor tuning has made a good using gun. I am not partial to the modern safety on the newer guns gut that is an easy remedy. From the box they are not a Winchester but for the money you can't go wrong. Currently they are hard to get as Rossi is not shipping them but if you can find one you won't lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    TaylorS, consider running your lever with the hand on the outside and fingers tucked in the loop.
    It’s the sight that’s not straight with the bore I hammered it in but haven’t really sat down to tune it true to the bore it’s close enough for short shooting but for the 100y+ I need to sit down and really aight it in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Can anyone match or exceed over 15,000 45 Colt reloads smokeless & black powder down the bore of my 24" Rossi with no malfunctions or broken parts? Granted the wood is not Black Walnut but what other '92 model Winchester is on the market for under $500
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I have a Rossi 92 44mag and get baseball size groups at 100 yards with mine all day. Great little gun. It will surprise you how much they kick. Mine functions great with no modifications. Only downside are they aren't drilled and tapped for a peep sight.
    Agreed. But as far as feeding, like one thing I read; they feed best if you work the lever like you are trying to tear it up. Truly that is the case with mine. I have problems if I slowly work the lever.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    What's a good price on a stainless one, saw 2 in a lgs for $695?
    While not a bad price, I think that is close to the MSRP. I got my NIB stainless M92 middle of last year for about $550.00 shipped. There are several listed on GunBroker now, plus other places.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

I have a 357 levergun on my bucket list and would take a Rossi hands down over a Remington made Marlin.

Boolit Master
    What I have let my 2 Rossi's teach me is that hey run best when oiled generously.

Boolit Buddy

Smile

LOOK THE RIFLE OVER CAREFULLY BEFORE PUTTING YOUR MONEY DOWN !!! I wanted the rifle in .45 Colt and ran across one at gun show being carted up & down the aisles. Bought it, $400 IIRC and took it home. 1st problem was it wouldn't feed properly. Bought the feed rail parts from stevesgunz, put them in, did a bit of fiddling around polishing, etc and now it feeds OK. It is particular 're rim diameter. Mine doesn't like oversized rims. You can get them to feed but don't be gentle working the action. I couldn't get mine sighted in. It was WAY right (2"+ @ 25 yards). Moving the rear and front sights the proper direction didn't help anywhere enough. Looked the barrel over closely and noted it wasn't straight. Not even close to straight. Sent it in to warranty repairs to get the barrel replaced and the rifle came back with the sights at their extreme limits in their dovetails, even loose in their dovetails, and STILL shooting around 1" right at 25 yards. No change in the barrel. Still severely bent. Found a custom rifle builder and barrel maker who agreed to straighten my barrel. ~$100 later I had a straight barrel and a very nice rifle re: accuracy, etc. Bottom line is the rumors that Taurus Customer service is beyond bad are correct. DON'T assume Taurus/Rossi will make your rifle right if it's screwed up. I like mine after all the fixing. It still cost way less than the Winchester 92 or Marlin 1894. Just be careful before you commit to the gun. BTW - the barrel groove diameter in my rifle is about .450 - .451. Pilgrim

There is an evolution of the Rossi 92. They're not all created equal. The "real" Amedeo Rossi (pre-Braztech) guns have the front sight on the barrel band and a decent rear sight compared to the newer model's weirdo semi-buckhorn. The old ones DO NOT have a safety right in the way on top of the bolt...no safety at all. The old ones have no plastic parts (magazine follower on newer ones). The older ones do have odd wood BUT NOT the seemingly water base and fairly ugly stain the new ones have. The bluing and wood to metal fit is better on the originals as well. My ca. 1987 .357 feeds from about 1.45" to about 1.63" OAL and is smooth as glass, accurate too. The only downside of the old ones besides the front sight/band combo is Rossi (Braztech/Taurus/whatever) won't work on it or sell parts for it or assist in ANY way...but they hardly do for a new one either.

I’ll never buy a Rossi product again. Got a 92 in 45 Colt in spring of 2012. It wouldn’t feed properly. Cartridges came off lifter nose high and wouldn’t chamber. Problem existed with round nose, RNFP, hollow points and semi-wadcutters. Had a smith tinker with it, got it to chamber 50% of the time. Getting ready for hunting season I decided to remove the wood and put a coat of wax on unfinished places. Forearm had been routed out where there was an open gap between magazine tube and barrel. Contacted Rossi and they refused to send a new stock, said it was out of warranty. Tried to explain it was evident the problem wasn’t due to fair wear and tear, or even abuse and the stock had left the factory that way. Again, no help. Got rid of it and bought a Winchester. Much better rifle to shoot and company to deal with

^^ That was a Braztech gun. ^^

Boolit Buddy
    I have 4 Rossi lever guns, all but 1 are 20” blued a 357/38, 44 mag, 454 Casull and a 45 colt. The 454 casull is kinda hit or miss(probably a reason they stopped making them) I have killed a good number of deer with my 44 mag, using the lee 310 over a hearty charge of Win 296, I also have a 45 Colt with a stainless 24” octagon barrel with a brass reciever and butt plate with a hardwood stock it shoots really good

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would look at the post-Interarms Rossi rifles as I would a Remlin or Winchester 94 Ranger. They can be really good for the money but there is a good chance you will have to finish what the factory neglected to do. If you demand a rifle that is ready to go out of the box I would not recommend any new lever action cheaper than a Henry.

I dont mind tinkering so I am not afraid to take a chance on a cheap rifle. My Mossberg 464, purchased like new but used for $300.00, has required a fair amount of fiddling but is coming along nicely. Just picked up a neglected Winchester 94 Ranger for $200.00 and so the process begins again. I enjoy learning how to gunsmith and making a rifle just how I like it. If you don't, then dont buy a cheap lever action.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 03-17-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one in 44mag I loved. Pulled a dumb dumb and sold it year back when I was strapped for cash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123