Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi, are they worth buying

Boolit Master

Read the entire thread and to a poster, everyone is satisfied with Rossi. I have two; a 357 with Oct. barrel and a 44-40 Oct. Each have had their actions honed and some after market Steve's Guns parts and both are fantastic.

My last .357 Rossi would outshoot my pre64 Winchester 30-30 at 100 yards. I put a Dockendorff rear sight on it- I never have liked semi buckhorn sights.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would love to have one in .357 to save wear on my JM 1894.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I bought a Lever Action Rossi 92 .357 stainless a few months ago.I am very happy with it at the range,i don't hunt.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Boolit Master
    I have a old one pre safety in .357. it shoots very good with heavy .357 loads and lite .38 loads. I use mostly .38-44 loads. it does well on groundhogs and deer. when standing in the rack with my real 92's it is a little hard to pick out in a hurry.

Boolit Master
    My m92 is in 454 Casull and has worked well from day one. I haven't bothered with smoothing it as is was a little stiff but smooth when new. I replaced the safety with a home made peep and it shoots as well as my old eyes can see using iron sights.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two, a 44mag and a 357mag, and they are not for sale,have taken deer with both. If it's priced right buy it,wish the shop that had it was close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post

I love my little Rossi 92 in .45.

I just got to find someone who sells a lever with a bigger opening for my hand.

Rossi made a Big Loop M-92 carbine (Mine were a .357 & a .45 Colt) and their current M-92 Ranch Hand handguns have a big loop - so if you can't obtain a big loop directly from the Rossi parts dept, you might be able to swap with someone who doesn't like their Big Loop (like me - I swapped out both my Big Loop lever to someone who was dying to have them).

Also, www.stevesgunz.com is a Model 1892/92 expert, who may be able to procure a Big Loop for you.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    WELCOME !

I don't know what Rossi the OP is referring to but I had a Rossi lever action chambered in 357 mag and it was a good rifle.

Internally it looked like the parts had been machined with rocks but after some judicious polishing the action cleaned up nicely. It functioned well and was very accurate. I sold it years ago to fund something else and I have a slight twinge of regret for letting it go.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one in ..45 LC. Not a bad rifle for the price. It is not a CAS rifle if you want to be competitive. It cannot be made to run as fast as a Marlin or 1873.

Great shooter if that is what you are looking for. Not easy to take apart....at least not as easy as the others above.
    Don Verna

In Remembrance
    I have two early pre-safety '92s, 44-40 and 45LC. Both work well. I recently got a '92 stainless steel in 38/357. Seemed stiff out of the box. Never took it all the way down, just stoned the parts that were visible when opening the action. Lubed and worked the action several times. Things smoothed right up. Trigger was also very stiff; worked that several (many!) times, smoothed the trigger spring, shimmed it a tad, and it too is now just right. Also, mine will function as fast as you can work the action, don't know what more you can ask of it.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Bub
    Mine is slick as...
    Just took about 2 hours to make it function with just one finger.
    I have the 44 mag in SS...It's wonderful to carry...

John Wayne, Chuck Conners and Steve McQueen can whoop up on me in heaven- I don't like big loop levers. Of course as a Texan, I don't even know what a mitten is either. I think that was the original purpose......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I bought a 44mag a few years ago when they where 400$ ish bucks, and really like it. Pretty rough internally out of the box. I built a safety delete plug and went though it with a stone and cleaned everything up and put a spring kit in it. Took a few hours but very much worth the time, It made a huge difference in how it ran.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Rossi made a Big Loop M-92 carbine (Mine were a .357 & a .45 Colt) and their current M-92 Ranch Hand handguns have a big loop - so if you can't obtain a big loop directly from the Rossi parts dept, you might be able to swap with someone who doesn't like their Big Loop (like me - I swapped out both my Big Loop lever to someone who was dying to have them).

Also, www.stevesgunz.com is a Model 1892/92 expert, who may be able to procure a Big Loop for you.

Heck no way to big of a loop, just a bit more room is what I want, but thanks

I have 2 the 44-40 is a older model and butter smooth the 45 Colt was nib a few years ago came with a rail mounted on it took that off and kinda put the rear sight on still shoots a little to the left but it’s also smooth with a good trigger no complaints on any of their stuff I’ve shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

TaylorS, consider running your lever with the hand on the outside and fingers tucked in the loop.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have three Rossi 92s and will buy more. They all benefited from the action mods described above, and two of them wear red dot sights in NOE barrel mounts. Best value for the money in lever guns is you are willing to do a little finish work.
    Tony

Boolit Bub
    Hi:

Thanks to every one.

I will go and see if it is still there and buy it.

Terrytm

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    TaylorS, consider running your lever with the hand on the outside and fingers tucked in the loop.
    That's what I have to do with my CAS amigo's guns with their leather wrapped levers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast