Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: S&W 17-2 with Stag Grips

Boolit Buddy

S&W 17-2 with Stag Grips

I just traded into a 17-2 with stag grips. I would say 98 to 99% conditioon. Serial number places it 1966 as the born on date. It has beutiful stag grips that I assume are Sambar. The only markings on the inside panels is a large W on the round metal that are I guess are spacers. I have been soaking the barrel with Kroil and the rifiling looks perfect. Any info on the grips would be helpful.

Thanks
    Art

Do they look anything like these that the posters refer to as "Grashorns"? --->>> http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...grashorns.html

They appear to be made by this outfit:--->>> http://grashornsgunworks.com

"AMERICAN ELK GRIPS
    Elk Antler, or Stag, has been used as a handgun grip material by pistol owners for decades.
    It is tough, serviceable, eye catching and one of a kind. No two grips ever turn out the same color or pattern. Your pistol will be one of a kind!

Elk grow Antler of excellent quality. From the base up to the third tine the shell is thicker and the “bark will be deeper textured than any point above that.
    We only use the shank ends that will produce the best looking and toughest grips.

Each grip is hand made, one at a time. There are several color and finish variations available. You may select a set with strong Bark patterns, a set with trace bark patterns, or a set polished smooth which will resemble Ivory."--->>> http://grashornsgunworks.com/american-elk1

Boolit Buddy
    No they do not. These look like Indian Sambar. Since this is a 53 year old K-17, the grips could be Sambar. I have been buying and trading revolvers since 1985 and again this revolver almost looks fresh from the factory. Truly a bucket list gun for my wish list. I know of a older S&W grip guy who has a table at the Memorial Day gun show in Riverton Wyoming and will run it by him.

Thank you

Art

In Remembrance

If your 17 is as accurate as mine is it will continue to amaze you just how accurate that pistol is.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Just measured the cylinder gap and it was .004. I believe that is minimal. Also, the timing has the bolt entering the cylinder notch almost perfectly at the correct time. Minimal ring around the cylinder. S&W sure built fine revolvers back then.

Pictures or it does not exist.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I have 3 m17s a 1964 that I got NIB and a 58 & 52 I picked up used. My 64 has been my main carry 22 since I
    got it. It has some holster wear but is still tight and accurate. I have and have had a lot of top shelf 22 pistols and a good selection of CF handguns. If I had to pick one it would be the K22. There is no doubt that I have got more use and pleasure out of it than all the others combined. Finest 22 revolver ever made.

Boolit Buddy
    Took it by my Gunsmith. He verified it has genuine stag grips. Helped me fit a yoke screw from a larger S&W yoke screw so I have an extra since those tiny screws can sometimes run away. S&W does not stock them for such an old revolver. He also verified it was in excellent conditio about 98%.

I would have no problem IDing real stag grips but would be at lost to tell what kind of stag. I have fooled around with a lot of White Tail and Elk and have found the material can be very different from same animal. I don't know if from minerals in individuals diet or what but some stag is dense with little porous core and others have
    almost all core pith. I doesn't seem to have anything to do with size or age of the animal. Is the Sambar Stag of a different material than antlers from deer or elk?

Here's a photo essay about some of the differences. --->>> http://www.cartercrafts.com/bonestaghorn.htm

Boolit Master

I will help you to post pictures if you need assistance
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 03-19-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I could use help in posting pictures.

ART

Boolit Master

send me an email with a couple of pictures

milowreyATsbcglobalDOTnet
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    I will do that when time permits.