Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 20 ga slug.

Boolit Master

20 ga slug.

My plan is to duplicate 2 loads I have for my 12 ga, but for 20 ga. (rifled barrel, Savage 220 slug gun)

#1. Lee 7/8 oz using a Lee REAL .54 cal. and 20SO1 or commander wad.
    What size hard card? 28ga?

#2.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27540709_10213452554021654_5252954412353009925_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	236674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41491128_469232690242102_4690809907409059840_n.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	236675
    This is using a brush wad and 20ga fiber wad.
    Accurate slug-full bore.

I guess the million dollar questions is what size wads anf cards for a 20 ga?

-I know that is not a gold medal hull in the pic-
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

32 ga in a tapered wad in bottom of shotcup, then a 28 ga on top of that if needed for steel shot type wads. For the 20 ga trap commander wad a 28 ga. I will check tomorrow. Or you could just buy Uncle Dino's 20 ga plastic based swaged slugs, 3/4 oz that are deadly and accurate for me out of the same gun on a number of deer and hogs. Pretty cheap too.
    http://www.furycustombullets.com/web.../shotgun-slugs
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I'm listening. Thanks for coming to my rescue. You know, that target is 20 rounds. Just trying different lubes. Obviously the 4 outside I didn't keep. But my friend, that is 16 rounds in one hole at 50 yards and will hold at 100. How come I miss a deer at 40 yards?

Boolit Master

That target on the left is impressive! That was a 12 ga load? Or is that the full bore 20? The target on the right looks more like my Lee 7/8 12 ga. As for missing game, guess I'm wound kinda backwards. I seem to shoot better at a running hog better than I do a paper target sitting still!
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Yes that was 12 ga. Full bore slug Accurate 73-570s. The pic on the right gives the load data.

So 32 in a shotcup and 28 for full bore? Is that hard card and fiber wad for the full bore?

Boolit Master

Sorry I was confused by what you were asking. No, a full bore 20 ga slug uses a 20 ga. hard card. You need to determine your load height correct for your crimp, roll or staR. I'd make a dummy round first with a actual pwder charge, then push your slug down on top of that. Then you can measure from top of slug to 1/4" below hull height and that's your wad stack height. You can order 3/8 or 1/2" cards plus whatever regular hard cards to equal correct stack height for roll crimps. Don't know what slug you would use in a 20 ga cushion wad but if the shotcup is tapered like winchester you need a 32 ga card in the bottom of cup, then a 28 ga on top of that to fit the taper. if you need more height. The trap commander you mentioned is not a tapered shotcup, so a 28 will fit.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

I can't take credit for the left pic. But he shared his recipe with me. That is mine on the right testing lubes. As you can see, it didn't like one set. Still 16 in the same hole makes me happy. But I'll stew about missing that deer for the rest of my life....pooh!

I want to make this in 20 ga. in two different formats. One with a shot cup and Lee .54 REAL. And one full bore from Accurate Molds, so it will be just like the 12 ga. I will be using federal straight wall hulls. I have federal 20so1 and commander wads to play with.

This is where it gets confusing for me...on building the wad column....hard card size and fiber wad size to fit the federal hull.Plus I will use the brush wad in the full bore application.

Plan:roll crimp on both.

1. federal hull, shot cup, hard card-(size?) to get stack height. Lee REAL .54 cal.
    2. federal hull, brush wad, fiber wad- (size?) to get column height, and Accurate Mold full bore slug.

Does the Savage 220 Slug Gun have a different pressure rating than that of a regular 20ga?

Boolit Master

As per order above:
    1) 28 ga hard card in trap commander wadcup. Tried that, not really succesful but don't recall if I tried from 220 or smoothbore. The federal wad (tapered) may require a 32 ga to fit bottom of shotcup
    2) That ought to be a winner from the 220 but needs lube or hi-tech coating to prevent awful leading. Since you're using the brushwad you only need 1/8" 20 ga hard card or 2 to adjust height as slug will take up a lot of length in the hull.
    3) No, same pressure limitations
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I tried Lee 575-472 today with my "Economy Slug" -technique. I'm simply replacing the 1 oz shot with a slightly heavier slug.
    Got 1150 fps,the shotcup looks like Trap Commander to me. I didn't use any cards for this first test,neither coating.

Attachment 237079

Accuracy can't get much worse than this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010320193953.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	237080

870 IC choke.

Keyholes with a 220 Savage, bullet probably slipping inside the shot cup.

BB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    As per order above:
    1) 28 ga hard card in trap commander wadcup. Tried that, not really succesful but don't recall if I tried from 220 or smoothbore. The federal wad (tapered) may require a 32 ga to fit bottom of shotcup
    2) That ought to be a winner from the 220 but needs lube or hi-tech coating to prevent awful leading. Since you're using the brushwad you only need 1/8" 20 ga hard card or 2 to adjust height as slug will take up a lot of length in the hull.
    3) No, same pressure limitations
    I plan to powder coat the slug,easier and less messier in the long run. Plus it worked well on the 12 gauge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I plan to powder coat the slug,easier and less messier in the long run. Plus it worked well on the 12 gauge.
    I like coating too,even for wad slugs.

Everything seems easier with 12 gauge. My 575 is too large I think. Very tight with every wad. I have four molds for 20 with wads,nothing works.

Which fullbore slug do you have? I kinda like fullbore the best in 12. What size for a 20 gauge fullbore slug to be coated... 620...?
    Last edited by Petander; 03-04-2019 at 05:44 AM.

Boolit Master

I don't have it yet, still working on the gun. But my plans are to buy from Accurate Molds. A copy of the 12 ga. (73-570s) for my 20 when I get her up and running. I need to make and sell a knife or 2 to be able to afford the scope and then the mold.