Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30-40 krag Harris Gallery load with bullseye?

Boolit Buddy

30-40 krag Harris Gallery load with bullseye?

"125 grain plain based "small game/gallery" 900-1000 f.p.s., 5 grains of Bullseye or equivalent. "

I have some coated 125 grain and wondered if anyone has experience with this load for 30-40 Krag? It is a rechambered Handi Rifle.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    5 grains of Bullseye with 125-grain lead bullet in the .30-40 is OK, but if you want to do for minimum noise, 4 grains will still get the bullet ouit of the barrel every time.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Should work fine, use a similar load in my 30/40 AI Ruger #3. Tried it in a sporterized Krag but accuracy was mediocre at best, probably due to jump from case to rifling because of the long throat on the Krag, although may just have been my rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd drop it even further than Outpost75. I'd start at 3.5 gr and test 3.5, 3.8, and 4 gr. I'd use 3.2 gr with a 90-98 cast bullet. Also, if you have some dedicated cases for such loads I would drill the flash holes out with a #30 drill. That will get the primer flame into the case quicker and more evenly and reduce any powder positioning problems to a minimum.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I'd drop it even further than Outpost75. I'd start at 3.5 gr and test 3.5, 3.8, and 4 gr. I'd use 3.2 gr with a 90-98 cast bullet. Also, if you have some dedicated cases for such loads I would drill the flash holes out with a #30 drill. That will get the primer flame into the case quicker and more evenly and reduce any powder positioning problems to a minimum.
    Larry,
    Does this mean that the use of fillers for such a light load could be skipped? I have always used kapok in those light loads but I would be tempted to try without it if consistent ignition is obtainable.

Thanks.
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Argentino View Post
    Larry,
    Does this mean that the use of fillers for such a light load could be skipped? I have always used kapok in those light loads but I would be tempted to try without it if consistent ignition is obtainable.

Thanks.
    I'm not Larry, but my experience has been that when using the fast burning pistol and shotgun powders that no filler is needed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks. Good to know since weighing 0.75 to 1.0 grain of kapok is time consuming.

I´ll give it a try without filler (Bullseye) and will measure some velocities too.
    Last edited by Argentino; 03-14-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: bullseye loads reference added
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe

Boolit Grand Master

As said, no filler needed with Bullseye loads.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry,

If you had a lot of Clays on hand. what weight charges would you use for a 95-100 gr. bullet in .303-.30-40-.308?

Boolit Master

What kind of velocities could one expect from such light loads?
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Good references for reduced load data with fast-burning pistol and shotgun powders in rifles:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

"A bicycle is not a modified car. CAS velocity (900-1250 fps) loads are not simply further reduced high power loads. CAS loads are different; they require a different loading paradigm - the use of moderately fast, disc, double base pistol powders is indicated..."

"One of our first choices of powder would be Winchester's 231. Introduced by Win in 1972, it is another double base disc powder (small at .025 x .009), we deduce a RQ of 300 plus or minus. At 22.5%, 231 packs a significant but not overwhelming nitroglycerine charge. It ignites very easily, burns very cleanly, and generates small SDs. While shooting BC measuring loads, we found we could easily shoot 200-250 w231 CAS loads without fouling the (45-70) bore..."

"While developing loads for BC shooting, we found that good loads would exhibit a SD of 4 or 5 fps across 10 shots; lessor loads would shot 10 fps or greater SDs. For someone working up CAS loads, if their loads are showing greater than single digit SD, they should keep looking. With BC shooting loads, it was not unusual for 20 or 25 rounds to print under 2" at 50 yards..."

"In our shooting, magnum primers always increased SDs, usually by 50 to 100%!"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.