RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Scrapple

Banned

Scrapple

A friend an I butcher two pigs a year . We do it up , smoke our own hams , bacon and chops .
    We also make scrapple . For those of you who haven't had it your missing out on some good eating .
    If your butchering your own pigs and not making it , ... well your missing out on the good eats and a whole lot of cheap food .

Traditionally scrapple is made from the head and organ meats .
    I do things a little different . Because I take the jowels and cure / smoke them there isn't a whole lot of meat left on the head . So I don't bother with it .
    But , much like making good chicken soup if you want to make good scrapple you have to make a good stock .
    So instead of the head I use the rest of the carcass bones to make stock
    For me this ends up being , three legs , front shoulders and about half the ribs ... we takes every inch of meat we can for bacon so the ribs aren't all that great for eating , I only save the best of them .

Ingredients. .
    3.5 gallons of stock
    7 lbs course ground corn meal
    2 cups buckwheat flour
    1/2 - 3/4 cup course black pepper ... start with 1/2 c and add to taste
    1/3 - 1/2 cup salt . To your taste again

to make your stock .. youll need a large pot or a kettle .
    Cut the bones up into manageable pieces , if your using the head leave it whole of course . Toss them in your pot and heat to a rolling boil .
    And then add in what organ meats you desire .
    I use the entire heart , and about half the liver .. I am not a liver fan
    If you are then by all means use it all .
    I also do not use the kidneys , you can if you like them .

Now that everything is in the pot reduce your heat to a medium simmer And give it a stir every now and then for about three hours .

Remove from heat and then pull out the bones and pull off any meat that hasn't already fallen from the bone .
    Then strain all the meat from the stock and carefully sort threw it and remove any stray bits of cartilage and gristle from the meat And chop the meat up into medium fine bits . And toss it back into the stock

Now you'll start the real cooking ... bring your stock back up to a roiling boil .
    Add your salt and pepper
    And slowly start stirring in half your corn meal , if temp has dropped any keep stirring until the temp comes back up .
    Then stir in your buckwheat flour .
    Now is the time to very quickly taste and adjust your seasonings .
    And then slowly stir in the rest of the cornmeal .

As soon as the last of the corn meal is in reduce to a low heat and keep stirring for 25-30 minutes .

Once your done cooking immediate pour into greased bread pans to cool . Once they are cool I like to put them in the freezer until they are almost frozen , and then dump them from the pans .
    And wrap them in butcher's paper for freezing .

It's going to be thick and hard to stir ... so if your lazy like me your gonna want to cheat And go buy a paint mixer for your electric drill
    It's $10 well spent

Total yield is around 35 pounds .. depending on how meaty your bones are and how much liver you use .

Boolit Master

Scrapple is something that is either loved or not. Personally, I like it, although it is not readily found down here. Some people down here like hog's head cheese. I was introduced to scrapple in the DelMarVa area back as a kid. Dad made hog's head cheese, so I was already familiar with it. Up there, scrapple was served as a side to eggs for breakfast, much as grits or hash browns are. Interesting taste, but many don't like it, as they don't like hog's head cheese. Helped my dad make lots of hog head cheese. It's one of those love or leave it type foods, like cabbage or sauerkraut, or a bunch of other things. I love a good hog's head cheese sandwich with a lot of mustard and a big slab of onion on it.
    Last edited by gbrown; 02-24-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned
    I admit , if you make scrapple with all the liver and kidneys I don't care a whole lot for it .
    I tried it once without any liver at all , And it just wasn't right .
    For my tastes half the liver is just perfect , And most who try mine tend to like it but like you said , it's not for everyone .
    I've never had good store bought scrapple .

I love scrapple! In fact, a friend of mine was captain of a boat owned by the Rappa scrapple company. Delmarva born and bred.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    going to PA. a lot. Scrapple is a Love Hate relationship. Nothing like a nice piece of Crispy scrapple with apple Butter In the morning with Eggs
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Ate a lot of scrapple growing up in PA. We would pan fry it in butter and pour syrup on it for breakfast. Same thing for corn meal mush.
    East Tennessee

Never tried it, but now wanna try cooking it. Thanks for the recipe!

Boolit Grand Master

Scrapple is a regional thing. About the only thing more regional is Taylor Ham/Pork roll. Not a fan of pork roll. Scrapple is hit or miss. It can be really over spiced or really bland. For me it has to be cut thin, browned on both sides but soft in the middle and topped w/ barbecue sauce. There’s only one butcher I will buy it from. The stuff sold at grocery stores is horrible almost every time. I hated it as a kid because of the store bought brands.

Boolit Master

Redneck,
    You forgot the well used athletic shoe with the bone for stock, improves the flavor of scrapple greatly!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Every time i go to the Allentown Gun show in PA. I stop @ the Amish market . Get enough to last until the next show
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Mold
    I'm a Lancaster county kid, so obviously grew up eating scrapple. Ever since the Navy evicted me out of PA, I seem to have lost my taste for it. I blame not being able to find it down in FL. Surprisingly though, Publix carries pork roll. So at least I've got that going for me.

Boolit Master

My Pennsylvania German Grandmother made it at least twice a year. Living in the City after WW2, there were no pigs to raise/butcher. So she got all she needed from her local German Butcher.

My DAD, Uncle, Brothers & Cousins all Loved it. But after she passed in 1979, there was no one who could make it.

We tried some from German Butchers & some Commercial made frozen stuff from Pennsylvania.

But nothing like Grandma's. Haven't enjoyed it since.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

As a youngster growing up on a farm in Juniata County, PA scrapple was one of my favorite meals served with syrup, jelly or apple butter, it was all good. Today I get all my Scrapple from the Amish at Shady Maple in Honeybrook, Pa.. I do not buy any of the store brands, way to bland and greasy.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

I grew up in NJ but my mother grew up taking over from my Grandfather
    as the Breakfast cook at my Great Grand parents Bed & Breakfast Hotel.

And Growing up she cooked it.

I have never made it myself, but stick to the store brands that are available, RAPA, Hatfield And Habersett.

I just finished my "breakfast" (I crawled out of bed at the crack of 3PM today) half of a pound of Habersett Scrapple and two Eggs Fried Easy over.

My Mother grew up in Layton, Sussex County, New Jersey. and I now Live in Carbon County, Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by AllanD; 03-26-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Addition

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Sorry you are welcome to it and oh yes i have had it. All my brothers just love it but it ain't for me.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Nothing Bad about scrapple except the folks that won't try it!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starreloader View Post
    As a youngster growing up on a farm in Juniata County, PA scrapple was one of my favorite meals served with syrup, jelly or apple butter, it was all good. Today I get all my Scrapple from the Amish at Shady Maple in Honeybrook, Pa.. I do not buy any of the store brands, way to bland and greasy.
    Star, I grew up on the other side of the Tuscarora mountain in Perry County.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by CASTER OF LEAD View Post
    Star, I grew up on the other side of the Tuscarora mountain in Perry County.
    Does that mean you like "elpparcs"!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington