Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti v/s Cimarron SA

Boolit Master

Uberti v/s Cimarron SA

OK, following along with the Uberti thread that is KILLING me.

Is there a difference between Uberti and Cimarron single actions ?

I'm under the impression that they are made at the same factory, imported by different company's, and that Uberti's are given a little more TLC when manufactured.

Also, It looks like if you are looking at a "Taylor Tuned" SA it's going to be an Uberti - possibly because they are a better starting platform ?

SIL has a Taylor's Uberti in .357 (sacrilege I tell ya !!) and it is NICE !!

Thanks for any insight folks
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have a Cimarron in 44 Special, it is a Uberti and I have a Stoeger by Uberti in 45 Colt, only difference is the grip is 3/8" shorter on the Stoeger, fir and finish is very, very good on both. I have a Uberti 1873 in 32-20, fits right in with the others. The 32-20 is charcoal or bone blue is the only difference.

Boolit Master
    Taylor tuned are gone over by their gunsmith.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have a half a dozen Ubertis - all from Uberti USA. Most I ordered though my LGS I use back in Michigan - they've been in business for a long time - probably 60 + years and is a family run business. Their gunsmiths are known for quality work, etc. and they also go over firearms ordered before they leave the shop. Anyway, I asked the last time I ordered one - a '51 Navy R & M conversion. I specifically asked about Uberti, Cimarron and Taylor's - since they are all handle Uberti brand - the gunsmith was quite frank about the whole thing and said that he has examined Ubertis from all three that have come through the shop as special orders, as well as consigned - he claims that there was no difference in his opinion. They all come form the Uberti shop - yeah, some may be special runs with Cimarron, etc. stamped on them - but they are all Ubertis. All that I have ordered and purchased form Uberti USA have been high quality and very nice with triggers that work just fine for my purposes - I'm not one for "tuning things up" but different folks like different things. All of mine shoot just fine as they have come from the factory and I've never had any issues with any of them. I can't speak to Taylor's "tuning" or just what is actually done by them - maybe it's worth the extra $$ - all depends on the individual buying it.

I do know that after I bought my Uberti 4 3/4" .357 Bisley, I never picked up my Ruger New Vaquero again - not "tuned" but is high quality and puts them where I aim it - the NV is currently consigned and while I like Rugers and have owned a number of them - I'll stick with my Uberti Bisley.

Just my 2 cents which isn't worth a nickel!

My opinion is very similar to bedbugbilly's. Fit and finish, there is no readily ascertainable difference among Uberti or Cimarron. You'll find checkered grips on some of their more expensive models, but I for one like the smooth originals. Taylor's tune-up job is nice, but the Ubertis are very shootable the way they come, and any of them can be slicked up after purchase if desired. I'll also second what Billy said about the NM Vaquero. I've got one in .45 Colt that is languishing in its case because the Uberti-made revolvers are nicer to shoot, nicer appearance, better accuracy.
    I've also got a Pietta in .357 mag. and it's a very fine revolver in every way.

Boolit Master
    Great info ! Good to have first hand knowledge. "Taylor Tuned" isn't a deal breaker one way or another. It's a plinker. An historic fun gun. Now I won't worry which name is in the bbl.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy

Uberti is the manufacturer, Cimarron, Taylor’s, Navy Arms, Stoeger and others are importers.

Cimarron for example, also sells SAA clones made by Pietta.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can speak from personal experience with only one Taylor Tuned Uberti. At their Spring Open House a couple of years ago they were running a special and I happened to have a $200 prepaid Visa gift card in my pocket. I wanted a 4 3/4" in 45 Colt, so they pulled one off the shelf, and one piece of plastic and a surprisingly small amount of cash (it was a great sale for the Open House) and it came home with me. They publicize that their "...Taylor Tuned actions are performed by our own in-house gunsmiths and feature: hand polishing, exact timing, and lighter hammer/trigger pull with our custom springs." I don't know about how others have been, but mine is spectacular.

My only other Uberti SAA is a 32-20 from Navy Arms. Val Forgett himself told me that all of the 32-20s they sold went through a very similar process with their in-house gunsmith, and mine certainly shows it.

I'm sure there is some variance within the out-of-the-box Ubertis, but they have the potential, with proper tuning, to be excellent. That's my story, based on personal experience, and I'm sticking to it!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    In my experience, overall quality of all offerings is pretty much the same. I like the Cimarron version because I like the black powder frame and bullseye ejector, the greater variety of finishes, and the fact that Cimarron uses the more authentic-looking serif letters and numbers on the barrel.

The exception is my Uberti Flat-Top Target Model .44. I think the barrel is marked “Beretta.” But it appears that the manufacturer pulled out all the stops on that model, for a nicer action and feel. The others are plenty nice enough; better trigger pulls than a couple originals I have.

Boolit Grand Master

Some Cimarron are Uberti and some are Pietta. It use to be that Pietta was not quite the quality of the Uberti but recently compared side by side they are neck and neck for finish and fit. The most recent Pietta/Cimarron I got in was a 45 Colt 1873 SAA. The Barrel cylinder gap was 5 thou and the cylinder throats were dead on at 452 and the forcing cone was as smooth as any from the factory. The trigger released at 3 1/2 pounds and timing was spot on... I had no complaints at all.

Boolit Buddy
    This probably won’t help, lol, but I’ll tell my personal experiences with the Italian clones...

I’ve had SAAs in Uberti, Cimarron, Taylor’s, Navy Arms and Beretta. In my examples the fit & finish was quite a bit better on the Cimarron and Beretta than the Uberti, with the Taylor’s and Navy Arms in the middle.

But I’ve had Uberti, Taylor’s, Cimarron and Navy Arms, 1873 Winchester clones. The Navy Arms and Uberti had the best Fit & Finish. I still have the Uberti 1873.

I prefer Cimarron because of all the different versions/calibers they offer.
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 02-27-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    In the Taylor’s catalog, I have noted a variety of frame styles as well as calibers barrel lengths, finishes and grades of finish. Also, their offerings of different grip frames and hammer types, including a short throw version, should give the shooter anything he could desire. Not sure what’s in stock now, but over the years they seem to have had it all!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Never had owned one of the Italian SAA clones until last December. A local shop had a bunch of "demonstrator" guns at very low prices and all had factory warranties.

Picked up a Cattleman .22 LR 4.75" for $250.00 and a matching .357 Magnum for $340.00. They had never been fired.

Sent the .357 off to Jack Huntington who is converting it to .41 Special...should be back this summer... When I called him to make sure he had received the gun he said he was very impressed with the fit, finish and quality.... So we will see how it shoots when it gets back...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85600.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	237232

Boolit Grand Master
    An interesting point came out in a discussion with my shooting buddy in absentia, Dale53. After several texts back and forth between Central VA and SW OH, we gave up and got on the phone. It turns out that early versions of the Uberti SAA came with a small, hard to see V notch for a rear sight, while mine from about 2015 came with a relative large (by comparison) square notch cut into the frame instead... a definite improvement!

From what I have been told, the tiny V notch is authentic and original for the Colt SAA, so while I don't know whether the square cut version is original for a later Colt or strictly a post- Colt improvement, I really don't care because it works so well. The closest I have seen (in my own experience) to this style notch is the King Gun Works "Super Police" conversion from the pre-War days... I'd like to see them brought back for modern fixed sight revolvers.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    I have 2 Cimarron's in .45 Colt. They have the tiny v notch and are called Model P's. Shot them for 14 years in Cowboy and they never failed me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have six Uberti SAs right now. Four are Taylor's Running Irons. Two of those are "Taylors Tuned." I found it to be a great waste of money. One of the Tuned guns had to be sent back to Taylor. Cimarron is just an importer as are Taylors and Stoeger, etc. All the guns are made by Uberti. Some such as the Running Irons are made to the importer's specs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    I have six Uberti SAs right now. Four are Taylor's Running Irons. Two of those are "Taylors Tuned." I found it to be a great waste of money. One of the Tuned guns had to be sent back to Taylor. Cimarron is just an importer as are Taylors and Stoeger, etc. All the guns are made by Uberti. Some such as the Running Irons are made to the importer's specs.
    I would be interested to know why you found the Taylor's Tuned package to be "a great waste of money" and why one had to be sent back to Taylor. Not doubting your experience, but to be honest it's the first negative I have ever heard about them, so I would really like to know what to look out for. While my own experience is much more limited than those you cite, I find it hard to imagine a better treatment than my Taylor Tuned Smoke Wagon received. Were the "un-Tuned" ones just as good as the Tuned ones, did the Taylor Tuned examples not work properly or not hold up as well? Again, why did the one have to go back?

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Actually, there's a lot that can be done to the "factory tuned" S.A. For instance, the "factory tuning" is not much/any more than replacing the action springs with lighter "aftermarket" springs. Sure it feels good or better than "run of the mill" but, polishing certain areas, correcting surface contours to prevent wear, adding an action stop and a bolt block to protect the action parts among other things, can enhance the experience tremendously!! Not to mention, replacing the action springs with coil-torsion springs result in a much more linear action cycle (instead of the heavier "stacking" you get with flats or wires) along with a "lifetime" action is what one can get with a world class setup! It makes a difference . . .

Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    45 Dragoon, I was discussing “Taylor Tuned” not factory tuned. Taylor’s gunsmith does do what you describe... they polish all bearing surfaces on a special jig setup to achieve the inherent smoothness of the interacting parts, then they put in all new, American-made springs. This is the way they advertise it and what their personnel have relayed to me in face to face conversations. I have no reason to doubt their veracity, especially when reinforced by my personal experience with the Taylor Tuned Smoke Wagon in 45 Colt I bought for Cowboy Fast Draw. The action is smooth, slick, and very light.

Froggie

PS I have no personal or professional association with Taylor’s, I’m just a very satisfied customer.

PPS As for leaf vs coil springs; although coil springs are preferable for durability, I have found leaf springs to be far superior when trying to achieve a great trigger pull. “Stacking” is more of a problem with DA revolvers, which of course would not apply here.
    Last edited by Green Frog; 03-06-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Add PPS

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    I would be interested to know why you found the Taylor's Tuned package to be "a great waste of money" and why one had to be sent back to Taylor. Not doubting your experience, but to be honest it's the first negative I have ever heard about them, so I would really like to know what to look out for. While my own experience is much more limited than those you cite, I find it hard to imagine a better treatment than my Taylor Tuned Smoke Wagon received. Were the "un-Tuned" ones just as good as the Tuned ones, did the Taylor Tuned examples not work properly or not hold up as well? Again, why did the one have to go back?

Froggie
    The Taylor Tuned cost $100 per gun. Not really sure what they did for the extra $100. I could not find a difference between the tuned and non tuned. I had to go through both and deburr the frames, hammers, cylinder pins, etc on all four guns. The "tuned" gun that went back to Taylor's felt like it had sand in the action out of the box. The cylinder did not rotate properly nor could it be removed/replaced without tremendous force (so bad that I thought the cylinder was not drilled properly). The gun would not consistently set of Federal primers (or Winchester for that matter). The cylinder would lock up (no, not high primers or a burr on the face plate). To Taylors credit they did make repairs that made the gun functional. They did allow me to discuss the issues with the gunsmith doing the repairs. When it was returned to me they had obviously replaced the firing pin and the mainspring. They did some work on the timing. Included in the return was the original mainspring and another mainspring. The cylinder is better but still after a couple of thousand rounds still a pain. I guess I would have thought if a gun was "tuned" they would have worked out some of these issues before the gun was delivered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast