Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard to beat Power Pistol for 38 Spl +P 158 gr LSWC

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    PP is great on 44 special. 8 grains with 250 Keith is cats meow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What he said!^^ This duplicates the old Skeeter load, but at (allegedly) lower pressures.
    I have used a lot in 9 mm loads as well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Has anybody done side-by-side charge-velocity tests of AutoComp vs. Power Pistol?

I've had great results with AutoComp, 5.5-6.0 grains in .38 Special +P, also 7.4 grains with 87-90 grain Hornady in 7.62x25 and .30 M1 Carbine, 11 grains with 250 Keith in .44 Mag for Medium Velocity...

Burn rate similar to Herco, but measures like water in Star or Dillon.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Have not done AutoComp but have done PP and BE86. BE86 bulks the same (same grain wts in my bushings) and in the .38 spl with different loads velocities are essentially the same for the same grain wt and bullet weight. I think BE86 is just flash suppressed PP.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Super Moderator

I just got some PP last weekend. I've never tried it, and want to cook up some loads for 38 Special and 45 Auto Rim. Has anyone use it in 45AR with the Lyman 454424?

I am down to about 20 rounds each of the three
    .38 special loads I keep in rotation. I have some power pistol so I believe I will try it. To the Loading manual I go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I too have gotten max velocity with PowerPistol in 38+P. That said max charges of Unique are right on its heels, it is more accurate with greater consistency shot to shot, and is just as clean, low flash, etc. I stopped using PowerPistol in 38+P and switched to Unique. PowerPistol is a better powder for 9mm however.

Boolit Bub
    I’ve had good results with Power Pistol in .32 mag and .44 special loads as well.

I have been playing around with PP in 357mag, 10mm, and 40s&w and like the results I am getting for each caliber.

I like 357mag loads that are fairly hot but not nuclear hot. And I have really liked 7.2gr PP under a coated 158gr SWC from SNS casting. No pressure signs, burned clean and shot accurately.
    I fired this load side by side against the W296 load that I had for the same bullet and decided to ditch using W296. The PP load (7.2gr) chrono'd at 1099fps and the W296 load (13.1gr) chrono'd at 1178fps. The W296 load was one of those loads where you could feel the pressure blast smack you in the face and there was some very noticeable sticky extraction from the cylinder after firing. The PP load showed no pressure signs and case extraction was not sticky at all. And I can probably bump the PP charge weight up a bit to match the FPS I was getting from W296. Cant say I'm sad to quit using w296.

For the 10mm I got some great velocities with PP. Im currently launching a 135gr Nosler JHP @ 1441fps using 10.9gr and there is still room to bump that charge up a bit too.

Power Pistol is definitely a good powder. I can see many jugs being purchased in my future!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12