Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best all round 380 ACP??

Boolit Master

I have looked at the small 380 just because they can be carried in a front pocket. Just put it in the pocket and go. Of the present models I like the Ruger lcp ll. Also my wife can operate the slide with her small weak hands so it can double as a nightstand gun for her.

Boolit Master

My choice was a Glock 42.

I like it allot, its light accurate and has proven 100% with everything from my handload LEE 95g Lead to ARX polly bullets to 100g Full Jacketed.

I would like to shoot a Taurus Curve or Spectrum and both where looked at along with the LCPII & MP S&W. Glock was best feeling and most fermilular.

My suggestion is to try and shoot everything that you like. Utube is a help if you trust the review”er”.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you want a .380 that is built to big gun standards and can handle any load on the planet for this cartridge with ease, Glock 42 all the way. I love mine and carry it more than anything else. I have fed it 9mm Makarov equivalent loads and it ate 'em right up with fair accuracy.

Close second: Kimber Micro/Sig 238/Colt Mustang. Perfect compromise between size and shootability. Honestly I find my Micro is just as easy to conceal as the LCP it replaced.

The .380 is a very boolit friendly round, the Lee 356-102-2R is my fave for both these guns.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Surprised no one mentioned the S&W 380 EZ. Not a big 380 fan myself but it is big enough to hold, decent capacity, and easily concealed. After trying it out, I bought on for my daughter. Figured if she didn't like it the other daughter would or, worse case, it works for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great niche gun for those that need it. Weak of grip, smaller, old folks, women etc.

But for those that do not, many 9mms are the same size or smaller and twice as powerful....which is why it is a niche gun.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Over the years I have been mostly a wheelgun guy, and when I decided to get a semi-auto pocket pistol I consulted retired FBI and DEA firearms instructors who I had known at Quantico, and they advised me that the German criteria made the most sense, that being a pistol which could be carried safely with the chamber loaded, and which could be drawn and fired immediately with trigger stroke only, without requiring any manipulation of an external safety.

Because I was used to DA revolvers, I elected not to have to retrain myself to use something with a Glock-type trigger, but wanted a DA trigger pull for the first shot LIKE A REVOLVER!!!!

I have two SIG P230 pistols in .380 and also one in .32 ACP, because I found a good deal on one, I liked the .32 for other purposes, so having one made sense. It replaced a Walther PP which I sold.

I also have two of the original model DAO Ruger LCPs, which I like a great deal and prefer to the LCPII.

The SIG P230s were popular (1980s-2000) as backup to carry in a pocket sewn inside the body armor back in the day. These days I carry mine in an El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max. Also have Pocket Max holster for the Ruger LCP.

Feel very adequately armed with any two of these and a spare mag for each.

While I still have my Beretta M1934, it gets packed in my travel bag with extra mag as a spare gun and not as a primary, because it needs to be carried with empty chamber, Israeli carry.

No single-action auto pistol is first choice. If not a .38/.357 snub, the P230 is most accurate .380 I have owned, 100% reliable and very concealable.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Man

Your fondness for the Ruger LCP surprises me, Outpost. I had one of the early versions of that grouchy little gun, and I found the trigger so awful as to make the pistol virtually unshootable for me.

I next tried the Kahr CW380, a pistol about the same size and weight as the little Ruger, but with a trigger-pull made in heaven. The Kahr is such a sweet and easy shooter that I've had no trouble holding "rabbit-head" sized groups at 12 to 15 yards. With the old Ruger, I would have had trouble hitting a rabbit hutch at that distance.

The Kahr .380 rides invisibly in my hip pocket, tucked safely in a wallet-type holster I made from "poor man's Kydex," thin-walled PVC drainage pipe.

I also sometimes carry a Kahr CM9, in 9/19 caliber, but it's just a little too big to hide in the back pocket of my jeans. It rides and hides fine, though, in a DeSantis holster in the front pocket of slightly "looser" pants.

I know that Ruger, over the years, made two or three attempts to improve the atrocious trigger-pull of their original LCP offering, and I'm guessing you must have one of the later versions with the updated trigger improvements. Of course the new model, the LCPII, has a completely different trigger system.

I haven't tried any of the newer Ruger offerings and -- after falling in love the with Kahrs -- I doubt I ever will.

Despite our differences, though, I suspect we're both pretty well-armed.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

I sprung for a kimber micro 9 the other day. Laser grips make it a bit wider than std model, but it goes invisible way easier than my ppq or even a ccp which I had thought was small enough but isnt. 7 round mag give me just enough to hold with pinkie. It is snappy. But accurate. Nice pocket gun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I really like the kel tec. It goes bang every time i pull the trigger without fail. It is accurate enough ( it is definitely not going to put them in a single hole). At 8.3 oz you hardly know its there . If you use the extended magazine there is plenty of grip to hold on to. I must admit i have poo pooed on these guns for years , like most i had never had one. Got one at a price i couldn't resist it certainly was an eye opening experience. When i say dependable i admit i don't shoot it like some others i own but it has had in exess of 5000 rounds and not a single malfunction with anything i want to run through it. I own more expensive 380's but not more dependable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I really like the kel tec. It goes bang every time i pull the trigger without fail. It is accurate enough ( it is definitely not going to put them in a single hole). At 8.3 oz you hardly know its there . If you use the extended magazine there is plenty of grip to hold on to. I must admit i have poo pooed on these guns for years , like most i had never had one. Got one at a price i couldn't resist it certainly was an eye opening experience. When i say dependable i admit i don't shoot it like some others i own but it has had in exess of 5000 rounds and not a single malfunction with anything i want to run through it. I own more expensive 380's but not more dependable.
    This has been my experience as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I love the Kel-Tec .380, I have two of them. Lightest .380 I've found, and oh so dependable!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I had one of the first Kel Tec P3AT's and liked it fine except that it was hard to hang onto after you pull the trigger. When my son went to college he took it and I got a Ruger LCP (Little Cute Pistol). I could not tell any difference in the two. But I later found the Bersa Thunder 380. It is quite a bit heavier and larger but still easily concealed in a pouch on my side. I use a pouch from Big Iron (bigironchl.com/) but a sneaky Pete will work too. because of the larger size and bit more weight it is much easier to shoot and has been very reliable. I still carry my Little Cute Pistol when I wear shorts so that I don't have them hanging around my ankles. I have a Big Iron pouch for it too.

Just some thoughts.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

1.) Walther PPK

2.) Walther PPK/S

Number 1 is my choice .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    In today's world of compact pistols chambered in 9mm Luger, I no longer recommend pistols in .380 Auto. That's not saying the .380 is bad but it is saying that we now have more choices.

Back when the .380 Auto ruled the roost of pocket pistols, I trained with several and instructed others on the use of their pistols.
    IMO, the overall best of the bunch was the SIG P230:

It had the best grip (albeit a bit large for the class of pistol)
    It had the best sights out of the box
    The pistol was fairly snag resistant and it pointed well.
    They are very reliable and accurate pistols.

Additionally, the SIG de-cocker made the gun safe to carry but instantly ready to shoot. You couldn't put the pistol into a mode where it wouldn't fire. (assuming there was a live round in the chamber).

The SIG P230 (and later P232) had a heel type magazine release which is actually a plus on that type of pistol. There was little chance of the magazine becoming unseated during carry unless the user intentionally removed the magazine. You don't need a fast magazine change on a gun like that but you REALLY need that one mag to be securely locked in the gun when it comes time to use that pistol.

The runner up is the Walther PPK. The PPK is a little bit easier to conceal than a P230, so if that's a factor the PPK may be an option.

My experience with the Interarms Walthers was you either got a great one or you got a so-so one. I had a couple that shot extremely well and I saw others that were equally as good. I've also seen brand new Walthers (made during the Interarms period) that were not as accurate as some or needed work to reliably function. My theory was that the tooling wear effected the manufacturing and the factory let a few guns out that were not quite up to spec before they replaced worn out tooling. That's just speculation on my part.

Along those lines: I never saw a bad SIG P230 and I personally think the SIG had a better trigger than the Walther.

Banned

i agree with P&P - there are too many excellent 9mm choices these dayze that will render a better and more cost effective pistol that can be loaded for comparative 380auto recoil.

Banned
    And I also must agree with Outpost75 that no single action auto pistol is a first choice for that class of pistol and intended use.

Banned

Ill say this. The lcp 2 is in a different world then the original lcp. I owned two of the old ones. Got the first new one and sold the two old ones and bought two more 2's the next day. It doesn't have a match 1911 trigger but not a single gun mentioned here does. It has a useable trigger (the originals did too as long as your could stick your gun into someones belly) and last round bolt hold open which to me is just as important. Now is it a glock 42? Not a chance. Ive got a 43 and I sure wouldn't trade it for a lcp. But that said you can buy 2 1/2-3 lcps for what I paid for my lcp 2. 200 bucks for a gun that actually runs every time is something that was unheard of even 10 years ago. Heck my lcps run just as well as my 43 and so does the wifes lc9. as a matter of fact the lcps and the lc9 will even run lee 105s and my 43 wont. Im sure not a ruger black gun cheerleader. As a matter of fact ive been on the other side of some pretty heated arguments here on ruger semi auto pistols but other then trigger pulls on the early lcps and lc9s I don't think ive seen anyone find them to not go bang every time the trigger is pulled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Gunn View Post
    Your fondness for the Ruger LCP surprises me, Outpost. I had one of the early versions of that grouchy little gun, and I found the trigger so awful as to make the pistol virtually unshootable for me.

I next tried the Kahr CW380, a pistol about the same size and weight as the little Ruger, but with a trigger-pull made in heaven. The Kahr is such a sweet and easy shooter that I've had no trouble holding "rabbit-head" sized groups at 12 to 15 yards. With the old Ruger, I would have had trouble hitting a rabbit hutch at that distance.

The Kahr .380 rides invisibly in my hip pocket, tucked safely in a wallet-type holster I made from "poor man's Kydex," thin-walled PVC drainage pipe.

I also sometimes carry a Kahr CM9, in 9/19 caliber, but it's just a little too big to hide in the back pocket of my jeans. It rides and hides fine, though, in a DeSantis holster in the front pocket of slightly "looser" pants.

I know that Ruger, over the years, made two or three attempts to improve the atrocious trigger-pull of their original LCP offering, and I'm guessing you must have one of the later versions with the updated trigger improvements. Of course the new model, the LCPII, has a completely different trigger system.

I haven't tried any of the newer Ruger offerings and -- after falling in love the with Kahrs -- I doubt I ever will.

Despite our differences, though, I suspect we're both pretty well-armed.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Banned

You are only wrong about one thing.
    I Heart LCP IIs and LC9s Pros

Boolit Master

I've got 2, both Colts. One is the Gov. .380 and the other is a Mustang. While both are single action, both can be manually cocked for second strike capability in an emergency. Both are extremely reliable and very accurate out to 30 or so yards. I've had other .380s, but have settled on the Colts.

Boolit Master
    I have experience with a Walther PPK/S, a Kahr P30, and a Glock 42 as far as .380 pistols go. The Walther is cool...but heavy large and has more recoil(enough that my wife hated it because of the kick). My wife has a Kahr P380 and likes it...my beef with the little Kahr is that it's about to small for me and I have a tendency to lock the slide back with ammo still in the mag(my thumb hits the slide stop lever during recoil) plus the mags are a pain to get locked into the gun. I like the Glock 42 because it's enough bigger than the Kahr I don't 'thumb the slide stop during recoil(stop doesn't stick out near as far)...works just like any other Glock and I get along good with Glocks...mags plug in without having to really work at it...as accurate as any other .380 pistol large or small.

There is a video on youtube where three ladies get to trial several .380 pistols and the winners were the G42 and Colt Mustang. Some of the guns were mediocre at best in the hands of the three ladies...it's a video worth watching.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast