PBcastcoLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is the best all round 380 ACP??

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Got a Browning 10/71 back in 1972 but lost it in a burglary in 75. I never got rid of the second magazine all these years. Came across another one recently an said why not, now I can put that second mag to good use after 44 years. Many have never heard of this model. It is a blow-back operated action, single stack, small and slim well made pistol. I plan on removing the front and rear sights and putting some quality nite sights that will not slow or hamper a cc draw.Attachment 240191Attachment 240192

Will practice with my 115gr RCBS cast using 700X. But carry with gold dots.
    That one is the final incarnation of the FN 1910 that I mentioned earlier. That is a Target .380 if there ever was one. Very nice!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That one is the final incarnation of the FN 1910 that I mentioned earlier. That is a Target .380 if there ever was one. Very nice!
    Yes. Thus was the first handgun I owned. I was pretty ticked when it was stolen, since I felt sure who did it, but had no proof so could not get a search warrant issued. I think I kept the second mag as a reminder about human nature an even seemly nice people can be crooks. This model fit my hand like a glove, and prevented me being robbed in a Sears parking lot in 1973 in Atlanta.

Given your intent for the gun, don't over look the Kahr CW380. Small, accurate and well built for your stated purpose. While a bit more expense wise compared to the P3AT or Ruger LCP's, it's well worth it.

Good luck on your search.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned
    So this is an interesting thread.

I still stand by my view that the compact 9mm pistols in today's market have replaced the niche that the 380 pistols occupied about 25 years ago.

I do find it interesting that the posters on this thread break down into two main groups: Those that like the old school steel pistols and those that lean towards the new ultra lightweight polymer framed pistols.

There's no doubt that in today's world one can obtain a small, lightweight pistol chambered in 380 auto and that wasn't an option 30 years ago.

Years ago I went all over the map in search of a CCW and I went down just about every path one could go down (including 380 pistols, albeit before the polymer ones had been invented).

I eventually landed back on the snubnose DA revolver and decided to just settle down and marry that concept. I'm not claiming that's the best option but I do think one needs to stop jumping around like a jack rabbit and settle somewhere. There comes a point where training is far more important than the actual tool one trains with.

I think if I had started that endeavor just a few years later, I would have landed in the polymer framed pistol camp and not the DA snubnose camp. Hard to say but I think the beginning of that quest has a lot of influence on where that journey ends.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    So this is an interesting thread.

I still stand by my view that the compact 9mm pistols in today's market have replaced the niche that the 380 pistols occupied about 25 years ago.

I do find it interesting that the posters on this thread break down into two main groups: Those that like the old school steel pistols and those that lean towards the new ultra lightweight polymer framed pistols.

There's no doubt that in today's world one can obtain a small, lightweight pistol chambered in 380 auto and that wasn't an option 30 years ago.

Years ago I went all over the map in search of a CCW and I went down just about every path one could go down (including 380 pistols, albeit before the polymer ones had been invented).

I eventually landed back on the snubnose DA revolver and decided to just settle down and marry that concept. I'm not claiming that's the best option but I do think one needs to stop jumping around like a jack rabbit and settle somewhere. There comes a point where training is far more important than the actual tool one trains with.

I think if I had started that endeavor just a few years later, I would have landed in the polymer framed pistol camp and not the DA snubnose camp. Hard to say but I think the beginning of that quest has a lot of influence on where that journey ends.
    I Think you stopped in a wise place.
    In my experience the smallest autos are most likely to malfunction of any guns I have and they are difficult for me to shoot as well , I like them and have several but are my last choice to carry , the five shot revolvers in my experience are much more reliable but still not easy to shoot well.
    So I have adapted to 3 1/2 to 4” autos and revolvers. Nice to have choices
    Last edited by onelight; 04-21-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Lasers and reflex improve my shooting no doubt I get to shoot both a great deal , for me it’s a personal choice I don’t want to depend on any thing that runs on batteries for my carry guns . If my eyes get bad enough I may have to but not there yet. But it’s nice to know it’s an option.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    True as far as the tools change with technology. I'm old school by virtue of my age and era. In 1971 there were not many choices of quality small reliable defense capable handguns that were not based on revolver design. Most of the small automatics were of dimutive caliber and ammunition produced by manufacturers was not suited for much more than targets at the range. All that has changed since Glock introduced the first polymer composite dominant material handgun of commercial success. That was the fork in the road for all applications of designed use. I still use a glock 26 for cc at times, but I would not feel under gunned with a 7 or 8 round capacity thin light weight auto loaded with glaser or gold dots either. If you end up needing more than 8 rounds you need to be wearing a good pair of sneakers.

Boolit Master

The author wrote the Bodyguard .380 was the lightest evidently can't read specs. The Keltec P3AT is 8 oz. and the Ruger LCP is about 9 oz. The Bodyguard at 12 oz. is not the lightest .380.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

The PPK shoots where I'm looking and hasn't FTF or eject with a hot HP handload once in 30 years. The trigger is heavy but crisp and I like feeling the loaded chamber indicator with my thumb nail in the dark.You'll love the way this pistol comes out of your pocket and points....

Boolit Master

380 I consider a pocket gun for times when you need to go gray. My pick has been the Colt Mustang, blued steel frame and a stainless light. Yes, x 2.

Boolit Grand Master

Walther PPK
    Hard to go wrong with a Walther... they are sweet !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I examined a Bodyguard .380 at the fun store the other day. Nice little gun, seems very well made for the price. Unfortunately, the trigger is a no-go for me, even though I shoot a double action revolver pretty good. When the hammer is at rest, the trigger seems to require about 40 pounds of force to get moving. Once that is done, it's not bad. The break is all the way in the back. That by itself is not bad, except I have big fingers and it is conceivable that I would not be able to get it all the way back with less than perfect trigger finger position.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I used to absolutely hate plastic guns untill i bought a kel tec and fell in love my favorite is the p32 only 6 oz i know only 2 oz lighter than 380. I have steel 380's but i will put the little kel tec up against any steel gun for the intended purpose close range self-defense. I also used to think revolvers were fool proof. Bought two charter arms one in 41 mag and one in 32hr ( for wife). Imagine my surprise when at the range and pulled the trigger and nothing happened pulled again nothing on third pull it went off but one or two rounds per cylinder refused to fire and not same place in cylinder eather. Sent the 32 back company repaired it and sent it back. Went to range and on fourth cylinder the transfer bar broke in half. Sent it back and ordered wife a sw 642 that was actually cheaper than the charter arms and it workes perfectly. Now that i got the 32 back it seems to work correctly but on first time back barrel was replaced now point of impact is about 2 ft left at 25 yrds. The 41 mag went back for ftf got it back and seems to be fixed and aim is only about 1 or 2 inches left at 25 yrds no problem grouping on edge of bulls eye. I just post this so people don't think revolvers are fool proof.

Boolit Master
    I tell my students to stick with 9mm unless they just have to have the tiniest gun possible.
    More power and significantly cheaper ammo with greater availability.
    That said I have carried a 380 pocket gun in a sticky holster since concealed carry came to Illinois.
    I am lazy and it is just so easy to drop the holstered gun in a pocket of anything I am wearing, especially shorts in summer.
    The gun you have with you beats the one left in the night stand.

I am a big guy and can comfortably carry a full size double stack 45 if I dress for it and have on many occasions when I felt it necessary.
    But the pocket gun is so much easier and I don’t even notice it while crawling around working on cars, it is thinner than my wallet.

I have 2 LCPs
    They are horrible little guns that are perfect for deep concealment.
    I love/hate mine. They can be fairly accurate pistols but are hard and uncomfortable to shoot.
    My targets are normally clay pigeons at ~20 yards and I can generally break 1 or 2 every magazine (6-7 rounds)
    When I am in practice, it takes me a lot of effort to get that good with them.

1 gen 2 custom, probably over 5k rounds no problems

1 LCP II. Slide flew off after 5 rounds one day, around the 1200 round count.
    Got it back from Ruger, they replaced the barrel. I shot a few hundred rounds through it and it now sits in the safe.
    I don’t know if I will ever trust it. If it had failed when new stuff happens, but after 1200 rounds?
    How do you test it for reliability?
    It definitely passed my 500 requirement before carrying.
    And due to circumstances I am sure it was assembled properly with the takedown pin in place.
    It had been shot on at least 2 occasions and inspected daily since the last time it was taken apart a few weeks prior.

I was aware of the take down pin backing out issue before I ever bought my first LCP so it is part of my daily inspection routine, before pocketing the gun
    remove from holster,
    check for loaded chamber,
    check full magazine,
    insure in battery and
    inspect take down pin.

Every time I pocket the gun so sometimes multiple times per day.

They fill a niche, but are not my first recommendation.
    Carry a larger gun if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    These days, I think that heavy for caliber/high sectional density is the way to go for all low pressure cartridges.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

My bro has 10/71 Browning with the adj sights. I've had many 380s and the Browning is most accurate I've ever shot. Probably because of sights and not a factor as a CCW gun. The other classics like PP, Beretta, ect would be as accurate if they had better sights. I have found even with the new generation 380s I do better point shooting them than using sights.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234