RotoMetals2PBcastcoRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best all round 380 ACP??

What is the best all round 380 ACP??

Been thinking of getting a 380 to carry. Not planning on using it for plinking. In winter or any jacket weather, I carry a Para LDA in shoulder holster. Otherwise has been a S&W model 60 iwb under shirt. What are your thoughts?
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Banned

I really like the LCP II
    Ruger cleaned up the trigger
    Bet your life reliable 10 ounce pocket pistol
    Been carrying it with the Underwood (Lehigh Defense) Penetrator ammunition.

Boolit Master

i like browning's 1911-380. small , thin, and light.

Boolit Grand Master
    My thoughts are inside the waistband a very small 380 like an LCP is a poor choice. There is little to grab hold of, it wants to sink inside your waistband to such a degree that you have to slap the gun in the butt before drawing it to get enough handle exposed to grab it.

In other words, the small size is a drawback to employment. If you cannot virtually invisibly hide a Shield or Glock 43 or EC9s or similar sized pistol inside the waistband in an untucked T shirt you have a bad holster and need to get one with a concealment wing. Many offer such a feature. I have gone Kydex with my plastic pistols.

For pocket carriers, though, a small 380 is fine. Tight jeans not so much. Since I see no point in a 380 unless it is small an LCP or LCP 2 is more my preference. Mine have been reliable and the LCP 2 trigger is decent. There are relatively few situations it is carried compared to pistol like those mentioned in the second paragraph. And even those are only warm to very warm weather guns.

From at least late September through May it is a compact or full size double stack all the time for me, as when I can comfortably carry a bigger gun I make sure I do.

I know you did not ask for a novel, but at one point I also decided I needed a 380. After getting some I realized I did not need it very often. Whenever I do carry it I mostly realize I want to carry something else, and something a little bigger is way better when it comes to using it and really the concealability issue is not an issue for waistband carry with such a gun.

If you are a waistband carrier and not a pocket guy I would pass on a 380.
    Last edited by 35remington; 02-23-2019 at 01:28 AM.

If your willing to get a .380, I don’t see the point for anything bigger than a pocket pistol.

Boolit Master

I like the Glock 42, with the caveat that if you don't want to carry in a holster, the Glock trigger system is not for you.

It's recoil-operated, not blowback, so it's very mild to shoot - unlike a PPK or Sig 230.

It's got more sight radius than the little-bitties like the LCP.

It's not an oversize brick like a Beretta 84

It doesn't have a pretty blue finish that will rust out and pit on you like my sentimental favorite Colt 1908..
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Colt Mustang Lite.

Boolit Master
    With the size of my hands, I prefer to carry a .38 sp. or a .357 snubnose for CC, when I am not carrying a full size 9mm or 45ACP Govt..

Every .380 I have held that is "compact" just is not comfortable to me to hold, let alone shoot. I don't like handguns that I cannot get all of my fingers on. I don't like the feeling of the pinkie/small finger hanging out or under the grip. So, I will not buy one to use. Unless, I come across one that has enough of an extended magazine to not present such a uncomfortable grip for me.

So, to be honest, I will likely just stick with what I carry now.

Anyway.... That "comfort" level with the grip is something you may wish to keep in mind as you try to decide on a .380. As well, as stopping power, I might add.

Maybe good for a "backup", but I just can't see myself carrying one myself. I like the bigger calibers more.

YMMV of course, but that is my current opinion.

G'Luck! in your choices!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

not a big fan boy of ruger semi autos but have two lcpIIs that are kept loaded with gold dots in the glove box of my pickup and jeep. I can honestly say they've never missed a beat. The even feed 105 lee swcs without so much as a hiccup. Watch around and you can pick them up for around 200 bucks. At that price there the bargain of the century.

Boolit Master
    I have been quite happy with my S&W Bodyguard. I use a pocket holster and just slip it into a pocket. it makes a great summer concealed carry gun for when you are wearing shorts and a T shirt. The gun itself has been very reliable, no misfeeds. it just works all the time. The laser may not be worth the extra money. Although the laser works Ok, it tends to be a indoor item as the bright daylight sun drowns it out. Also the laser batteries tend to drain down over time. So you need to replace the batteries from time to time. But then maybe the laser will deter someone from doing violence if they see the red spot on them. Thus you may not have to shoot them.

Oh yeah, I read somewhere that Walther may be bringing out the PPK in .380 soon. So that might be a really nice povket gun to get when they get out to the stores to buy.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 02-23-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

This would be my pick
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Walther PPK/S. Accurate, feed reliably, they're made of steel, and have resale and trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    With the size of my hands, I prefer to carry a .38 sp. or a .357 snubnose for CC, when I am not carrying a full size 9mm or 45ACP Govt..

Every .380 I have held that is "compact" just is not comfortable to me to hold, let alone shoot. I don't like handguns that I cannot get all of my fingers on. I don't like the feeling of the pinkie/small finger hanging out or under the grip. So, I will not buy one to use. Unless, I come across one that has enough of an extended magazine to not present such a uncomfortable grip for me.

So, to be honest, I will likely just stick with what I carry now.

Anyway.... That "comfort" level with the grip is something you may wish to keep in mind as you try to decide on a .380. As well, as stopping power, I might add.

Maybe good for a "backup", but I just can't see myself carrying one myself. I like the bigger calibers more.

YMMV of course, but that is my current opinion.

G'Luck! in your choices!
    I am in the same boat with the grip issues and small guns.
    If you want a small gun, why not get one in a 9mm. They are very nearly the same size and the performance of a 9mm far exceeds that of a 380.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    A picture worth 1000 words ?

Attachment 236646
    This is the blue ice LCP overlaid on a G42 .
    Both 6+1 . The Glock is much more shooting for shooting friendly than the LCP . For the intended use it doesn't matter I guess . I had in my possession for a while a PPK SS 380 that I really liked . It was about half way between the 2 and slightly heavier , being all SS , than the Glock .

The LCP was purchased new for the princely some of $219 otd .
    Some $90 less than the G42 the trade off is mag prices .
    I've thought about it some and any of these 3 are great choices that come down your hand and how much weight you want to carry .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Thanks guys for all your replies. You brought up some points I had not thought of. Think I will stick with my S&W 60.
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

My wife and I both carry the Sig P238. Her's is the dehorned model and mine isn't, but either one will fit in the back pocket of Duluth jeans. They're easy to shoot, accurate and have the same controls as the 1911. Colt Mustang magazines fit, and they're less expensive than Sig magazines. They also come standard with night sights, which is a plus.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcc View Post
    Thanks guys for all your replies. You brought up some points I had not thought of. Think I will stick with my S&W 60.
    Very good decision.

Banned

i had the s&w 60 and it was fine 'cept for the weight ... and the hammer. now i'm after a 642 pro. it's all personal, pick what works and fits best. i prefer a revolver's advantages, too.

Boolit Bub
    Second for the 42. It's comfortable to shoot for pleasure...

I like a PPK in 380, mine was 100% reliable and accurate. Now that small 9mms are being made My choice would be a Springfield
    SDE if I wanted a auto. My PPK became a Ruger SP101 for warm weather use.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast