WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AGM battery for garden tractor?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    AGM stands for Absorbed Glass Mat. They are Lead acid batteries but the acid is in a fiberglass mat to keep it from spilling. The likely difference is a $40 battery VS an $80 battery.

/\ Spot ON /\

And for the OP, my question is will the garden tractor outlive the next battery?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ Spot ON /\

And for the OP, my question is will the garden tractor outlive the next battery?
    Sure hope so, but it is 50 years old...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    With six pieces of equipment I, too, played the costly buy at least one new battery per year game. I bought NAPA batteries for the most part, too. Then -- a decade ago -- a friend turned me on to Battery Minder, and Battery Tender products. I bought, and they even maintain batteries of several units, in parallel. You fasten a short provided wires to the battery, and then plug the cord from the unit into it. NO measurable effect on the electric bill; they're plugged in 24/7, except when I am on them; and -- best of all -- it's been pretty close to ten years since I needed to replace a battery! With their built in de-sulfator circuitry. they even make the batteries better! Amazon, Northern Tool, and others purvey these for less than thirty bucks -- I got mine for ten dollars less, on sale. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...er+Model+12117
    geo
    I'll second this !

I've been using a battery tender (although a different brand name) for years and it is a night and day difference in battery life and reliability. I even purchased one for my neighbor so that I wouldn't have to go jump start their mower every spring

If the equipment is stored far from a mains powers source, another option is a small solar panel and a charge controller.

I don't like those little pig tail wires dangling off of various pieces of equipment so I hard wire a socket onto the tractor and put a plug on the other wire.

A battery tender will pay for itself in one battery replacement cycle.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-24-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Banned
    Some may think that batteries sold in the northern part of the country are different than the same battery that is sold in lets say Texas. I will disagree. The batteries sold in hot states like Arizona, New Mexico, texas and others don't last as long and that is a result of the heat. Heat kills batteries. Heat kills tires. Heat is hard on automobile finishes. Get the point? The battery PN's internal composition and so forth is the same no matter what state. A YTR%^ battery is going to be the same in Maine as the AYTR%^ battery sold in Texas or any other state.

Boolit Master
    Summer kills a battery, winter buries it.

Boolit Grand Master

My original 03 Dodge battery was still strong and reliable in "17 until someone left it with the door open and the radio thumping. At that age, dead was forever.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Summer kills a battery, winter buries it.
    Very True.
    The heat kills the battery but the damage often doesn't manifest itself until the cold sets in.

A battery weakened by heat will often still start an engine during hot weather when the oil is thin and the battery is still producing useful current. Fast forward to cold weather with that same weakened battery and the engine is harder to turn over and the cold reduces the efficiency of the chemical reaction in the battery - what was a marginal battery in the summer becomes a dead battery in the winter.

The damage to the battery occurred in the summer but the effects of that damage show up in the winter.

People that live in climates that are cooler year round get far more life out of their batteries than people with batteries that get "cooked" in the summer.

In Remembrance
    You may be on to something, battery blankets were a hot item here for a short while, but it was soon found out they cooked the batteries to death.
    Most folks that think they need something on their batteries use battery tenders instead, I have found synthetic oil is the best to use if you want it too start in cold weather, but I do have a tender on one pickup that is plugged in any time the block and oil heater is used.

Boolit Master

AGM batteries tend to hold up better where there is more vibration such as motorcycles and such.

Boolit Grand Master
    I replace the AGM battery in my Honda 1800 Gold Wing every 3 years, and the old battery is still functional. I then put the old battery in our riding lawn mower. The one that's in the mower now spent 3 years in the bike, and 3 years in the mower and is still doing well. I use a battery tender on both of my motorcycles during the winter lay up, but I don't even look at that mower battery until April and it still keeps on cranking.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I had to replace a battery on my snow blower at one point got a Duracell from Batteries to Go had it for 2 maybe 3 yrs was still going strong when I sold it to fund a bigger snow blower,in fact the onboarding battery is a Duracell.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 02-26-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    The battery in my Ford pickup ,made in Thailand ,lasted 12 years,and I replaced it thinking it was cranking slower,the new battery cranked the same.....anyhoo,I put in my tractor,which has a 270ci diesel,didnt use the tractor very frequently,and it died.But new batteries bought for the pickup and tractor dont seem half as good.........I think you get a good idea of a battery by the weight ,some cheap ones have plates half the size of good batteries ..........the Thai battery ,the plates were almost to the top,the new ones ,about half way up...and they wernt cheap batteries either.

Boolit Buddy

I purchased an Interstate oh about 15 years or so back. Thought it died ( can't remember why) Turned a different battery in for the core. Then at about the 12 year mark, I decided to try charging it, well shoot, charged right up and holds a good charge as long as needed...

Boolit Master

My lawn tractor a 2004 MTD White is on it's second battery. I take the batery out in the fall and keep in the cellar. Charge in spring and re-install it. When it does not start I will replace it with another Wal-Mart battery at a cost of $19.95 Cheap as under 10 bucks a year.

Boolit Master

UPDATE! Rural King Lawn and Garden battery didn't make it 12 months. My last Walmart battery mad it almost 3 years so that is where the replacement is coming from. Still very tempted to try an AGM, but no matter the brand, there are several reports of early failures.

Boolit Master
    I used to buy Ford cars new.....you could guarantee the battery would last two years and one week,and it would be stone dead.....Yep Ford had it down pat.....2 yr warranty ,battery dies in another week......Best battery i ever had was a Jap made Yuasa.....it was in a 8 ton V8 gas truck ,reckon it lasted 18 years ......always maintained ,water kept to level ,and was used 5 days a week ,so it never went flat.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    They’ve got it all figured out. The thickness of the plates, today mostly fiberglass coated with lead, unless it is a deep cycle type. They are going to last pretty darn close to the time they are guaranteed to. Usually, the more they cost, the longer they last. To get the most out of a battery, don’t run it all the way down and charge it back up as soon as possible. Use a slow charge. If you don’t use it in the winter, consider taking it out and clean the terminals. Set it on something insulting, not on the ground or cement. If you don’t take it out, disconnect it. Consider giving it a trickle charge sometimes if you can. A fully charged battery will not freeze, but a dead one can. Check the level in the cells if you can. Some that say maintenance free can be pried open and topped off if needed. Use distilled water. Rainwater today risks having contaminants in it. Always keep your terminals corrosion free.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    RIG is really good on battery terminals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    RIG is really good on battery terminals.
    I put Ballistol on mine. I think about any grease or lube that will keep moisture out will work. I sprayed the lawn tractor with Rem Oil I think.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

The best batteries on the market ... Interstate Batteries
    Trust me on this ... Outrageously dependable long lived and not stupid expensive ...THE BEST!

www.interstatebatteries.com

Sears needs to change their battery's name to Fail Quick....they suck rocks now .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast