RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5X55 in a new rifle

Boolit Master

I'm a pretty big 6.5 fan myself. Took my first couple whitetails with a 264 mag that I traded for. That was a fun all around gun, ground hogs to elk and very flat shooting. Mine liked the 120gr Nosler or Sierra. The best group was 3/8 inch at a 100.
    Art, let me know on that 6.5 if they still have it, sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

The argument over which caliber is best will go on as long as we have rifles. Jack O'Connor as well as others fell in love with the .270 when it was introduced and nothing was going to change their minds. There is a good reason for that, it is a fine cartridge. I have been shooting since the middle 50's have tried about everything but the later short magnums. I tried wildcatting back in the day. I have come to my own conclusions. One is that you can make a case for and against any caliber currently available to the shooter. The 6.5x55mm is one of the finest cartridges ever produced. It hits as hard as the .270 but with a little less recoil. The .270 shoots very flat and cartridges are availble in just about any store that sells ammo. The factories "load down" the 6.5x55 because of some of the old actions associated with it and therefore to get the best performance from it, you have to reload. Personally, I would rather have a .280 Remington than the .270 but that is only because I handload and there are far more bullet weights available for the .284 bullet diameter than the .277. Of course the ol tried and true 30/06 is a better selection for bullet weight than either the .270 or .280. Books have been written on this subject and more will follow in the future. Experienced shooters tend to buy what we like. Gun writters make a living trying to convince us and the new shooters we need the latest and greatest "whompestcat magnum". That in turn spurrs gun sales, magazine sells, and as sure as day follows night, money in their pockets. I currently have 2 6.5x55's and I built one from a turkish mauser for my grandson. If I were going after grizzle I would want something heavier but for everyting else on the north american continent, the 6.5x55 will handle it with authority if the proper bullet weight is place in the heart/lung area. A dead whitetail, elk, or moose is a dead whitetail, elk, or moose whether it was shot with a 30/30 or a 375H&H magnum. Regardless of which way you go in caliber, the young man will benefit and will probably cherish that rifle the rest of his life. Its a win/win situation. James

Ok, below are some pictures of that dolled up 6.5 Swede, price is $250, as well as:
    Enfield .38 (S&W?) $120
    Enfield L1A1 .308 $175
    Winchester 1894 Trapper (?) in .45 Colt $375
    Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt $280
    Marlin 1895 .45-70 Microgroove $375
    The gunshop
    s business card is shown and they will ship to you for very reasonable money. Call them with any questions; they are open only 9 to 5, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. They have a quite a few other milsurps in there, it can't hurt to ask if you're looking for something. Too many pictures, there'll be another post.
    Last edited by Scrounger; 12-19-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Continuation:
    Last edited by Scrounger; 12-19-2008 at 08:04 PM.

12 year old boy?
    Model seven youth in 260 rem. 6 3/4 lbs.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...outh_specs.asp

Ruger makes rifles in at least their compact chambered for 260 rem. but I'm never going to recomend a Ruger.

Boolit Master

Saw one years back in a pawn shop local and it was the Win 70 with Mannlicher stock. Never knew they had such a thing. It was cheap too. The guy said you couldn't get ammo for it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    The Savage rifle that Scrounger listed in the Auction arms site is a steal!

Now I won't argue the merits of .270 vs. 6.5x55 ..... they are both grand! ..... and I am a .270 man ittchin' for a Swede myself ......

But my wife bought one of those Savage 111's in 7 Rem mag for $245 out from under me at our local gun shop. The scope is bottom of Simon's barrel but it works until something better comes along.

For the bucks and if you are under a time constraint ..... it would be hard to beat.

Three 44s

Boolit Master

Art,
    Thanks a bunch! I passed the info along and I might be interested in the Enfield Revolver myself. Might be able to get the whole mess in one shipment.
    I need a bunch of fence put up at the farm might be good payment to this kid and help me out as well. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to be hefting a spud bar all day. Of course this is assuming the kid's parents agree.

Thanks again
    Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Scrounger,

Thats a fine looking Mannlicher Sporterized Swede. If I hadn't recently bought the CZ-550FS, I would be tempted myself. $250 is a great price for that Rig.

Sean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12