MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: 257 Roberts Improved

Boolit Master

257 Roberts Improved

My favorite local gun shop got in a slew of Mauser rifles of which I bought one already. The one I bought is in .256 Newton.

I went there yesterday and looked again and this other rifle I was looking at is still there. It is on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action and has a Shilen barrel 24" long and is chambered in .257 Ackley Improved. They want $300 for it. The stock is a laminated. It is the least beefy of all the rifles this one guy had who they are selling them for but the barrel is still not a slim sporter type.

They have another one in same caliber but not so nice for $300 and still another in .256 Newton Improved with a variable Balvar scope for $350.

Seems that $300 today is a small fee to pay for a nice rifle with the prices some of the new ones are going for.

My question is, am I just being "gun-greedy" or should I go down there & snap up that .257 Improved?

Cast Boolits Owner

It is not greed. At that price I would snatch up all I could afford, shoot them then sell off those I did not want.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

The 257 Roberts Improved is one the best little cartridges going on the Improved line. Parker once said that he considered it his most successful effort at an efficient cartridge case. With just a little more powder than the regular .257 Roberts you can almost obtain 25/06 velocities. Sounds to me like a bargain rifle and beside, you know you need another toy.

Boolit Master
    It's a steel, I'd buy it if I new where it was IF it has the right twist. Ask him if you can run a jagged rod and check the twist. I love quarter bores but some of the older ones are too slow, then you've got a hard kicking 22-250.

Boolit Master

2 New Mausers

Well,

I here are the 2 Mausers I added to my pile. The one on the right is the 256 Newton and the one on the left is the 257 AI. I couldn't see how I'd go wrong buying both of them. I got a real deal also for buying both. It's a good thing I saved something so as to be able to afford some dies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 New to me Mausers.jpg  
    Last edited by Newtire; 10-19-2008 at 06:34 PM. Reason: picture

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Nice rifles! It is almost impossible to go wrong, buying Mausers.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They are nice, almost lok like target rifles don't they?
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

bull barrels

Quote Originally Posted by 4fingermick View Post
    They are nice, almost lok like target rifles don't they?
    Yeah Mick, the 256 Newton has a real thick barrel marked P.O. Ackley and the other one in 257 AI has a Shilen barrel of fairly thick proportions. The triggers are real nice but I couldn't get the actions out to look at them closer because the trigger shoes won't pass thru the trigger guard slot. Now that I measure the barrels, they are both 26".

I'll have to get ahold of a very very small Allen wrench to get them out as they are smaller than the .050" size I have in one of my sets. I looked at them with a magnifier and they are indeed Allen & not Torx.

One of the rings is missing from one and it is a Beuhler mount and the other is the kind that takes the old Balvar scope. I think I'll replace it with a Weaver style for now.

For the price, I think I got a deal. There were some other rifles there this time but up into the $900-$2000 range. Too rich for my blood!

The main reason noone wanted these was that they were going to be a challenge to load for. For a handloader...what's the problem?

I found some .257 Ackley Dies but am still looking for the 256 Newton dies if anyone hears of any for sale by a member. Otherwise I will get them from C & H it looks like. I want to do a chamber cast first before I order them & find out the guy reamed out the origianl Newton chamber to something else. I am in the market now for brass & bullets too.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Cal, remove the bottom metal, and the action should lift out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Nice, and nice buys.

Moderator Emeritus

I agree. The 256 Newtons have me envious. Look at the last months Handloader re the 6.5x06. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

trigger shoe

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Cal, remove the bottom metal, and the action should lift out.
    I still can't get the trigger to fit thru the slot in the top part of the guard so will borrow a small Allen wrench when I go into work tomorrow.

In Remebrance

Sweet! Good on you. Might want to make a chamber casting of the Newton. The specs varied IIRC. I believe 6.5-06 data can be used.

Boolit Master

chamber cast

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    Sweet! Good on you. Might want to make a chamber casting of the Newton. The specs varied IIRC. I believe 6.5-06 data can be used.
    After doing some reading, I thought that would be a good idea just to be on the safe side so have some cerrosafe on the way. I was pointed in the direction of a surplus rifle site that shows how to do the casting and have the hair-dryer all lined up etc. Turning into a real project...someone has to do it!

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    And I thought that Ca. was the most expensive place around !! What a deal , I know you will enjoy the both of em. James