Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .58 Cal T/C Barrel ?

Boolit Master

Exclamation .58 Cal T/C Barrel ?

Is anyone else out there wanting a GM .58 drop in T/C barrel for a Renegade? I sent TOTW a short letter asking them to build such a barrel. The return letter stated the breach plug is not currently in production so no barrels. OK, so start building a 1 inch breach plug and .58 cal. drop in GM barrel. That's the way I see it, anyone else? Thanks!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    I think a 58 barrel for the Renegade is a good idea.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    By a TC Hawken/Renegade barrel cheap (50 cal) send it To Bob Hoyt and there you go 58cal with whatever twist you want (fast reasonable) and go up to .62 /I did /Ed

Boolit Master
    I have a .56 cal TC Smooth Bore Renagade that I am thinking about having Rifled to .58 by Hoyt or even to .62 if the .56 wont work for .58

How much does He charge to rebore a TC barrel?
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

While traveling through Tennessee last summer, my wife and I stopped by Dixie Gunworks. I picked up a GM 58 caliber T/C replacement barrel in the scratch and dent isle. It was new unfired condition, nearly complete except it did not have sights on it. $200 out the door. Let's just day I was happy!!!

The breech plugs are currently difficult to come by. The previous supplier cast them, but is overdue in supplying them to places like GM, Pecatonica, TOW and Oregon Barrels. I previous called around attempting to have a barrel built, but got lucky at Dixie Gunworks so I stopped calling around. If your serious about wanting one, Rice barrels are machining breech plugs. The plugs are a little more costly as they are machined and not cast like the previous supplier. You could always have Rice build you a barrel. Edwards Idea is good too, I spoke with Rayl in regards to having a T/C barrel converted. He prefers to start with a 50 cal barrel.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    While traveling through Tennessee last summer, my wife and I stopped by Dixie Gunworks. I picked up a GM 58 caliber T/C replacement barrel in the scratch and dent isle. It was new unfired condition, nearly complete except it did not have sights on it. $200 out the door. Let's just day I was happy!!!

The breech plugs are currently difficult to come by. The previous supplier cast them, but is overdue in supplying them to places like GM, Pecatonica, TOW and Oregon Barrels. I previous called around attempting to have a barrel built, but got lucky at Dixie Gunworks so I stopped calling around. If your serious about wanting one, Rice barrels are machining breech plugs. The plugs are a little more costly as they are machined and not cast like the previous supplier. You could always have Rice build you a barrel. Edwards Idea is good too, I spoke with Rayl in regards to having a T/C barrel converted. He prefers to start with a 50 cal barrel.
    Good info, especially about the Rice barrel. Will look into that. Thanks.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

.58 is kind of special for muzzleloading, there being a gazillion .58 caliber molds to play with.
    Choose your rifling carefully. It's easy to have .58 barrels work very well with most everything (short round boolits and longer ones too!) and easier still to have them specialized into one thing only.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    .58 is kind of special for muzzleloading, there being a gazillion .58 caliber molds to play with.
    Choose your rifling carefully. It's easy to have .58 barrels work very well with most everything (short round boolits and longer ones too!) and easier still to have them specialized into one thing only.
    Re-boring a T/C barrel to a round ball twist in .58 caliber is looking better and better.

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Yo Buzzard,
    The Renegade makes a nice flinter when enough metal is removed.

Boolit Master
    I found a nice .50 Renegade cap lock barrel. I'll be sending it to Bob Hoyt to open it up to .58 with a round ball twist. Thanks guys.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I don't know for sure but GM may still have 58 cal blanks that are rifled.
    As far as a breech plug? There's always some FFL holder stripping down excellent condition T/C's for their parts to auction on EBay.
    Than again I see little benefit in boring out decent T/c barrels to 58 cal so to satisfy a fleeting whim.
    FYI: I definitely know a 54 cal w/factory twists will out shoot across the board "rings around a 58 no matter its twist."

Proud owner of:
    T/c Renegade 54_ dedicated Maxi shooter_closet queen
    " Hawken 54 _Fox Ridge custom shop_ Factory R-ball barrel so equipped.
    " White Mtn carbine 54_ closet queen
    " Thompson Big Bore 58_ closet queen
    " Hawken 45_ My preferred woods totter. Two barrel option: G-M Stainless 1-28 or its Original Factory Barrel.
    " Hawken 50 Flint_ 30 plus yr. closet queen.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    As far as a breech plug? There's always some FFL holder stripping down excellent condition T/C's for their parts to auction on EBay.
    Than again I see little benefit in boring out decent T/c barrels to 58 cal so to satisfy a fleeting whim.
    FYI: I definitely know a 54 cal w/factory twists will out shoot across the board "rings around a 58 no matter its twist."

Proud owner of:
    " Hawken 45_ My preferred woods totter. Two barrel option: G-M Stainless 1-28 or its Original Factory Barrel.
    Guess you haven"t shot many custom rebores (BOB HOYT comes to mind) in the exact bore/twist/crown and groove specified by buyer. IF I could not out shoot any of my TC barrels (for the mass consumers) I probably would not be sending Bob so many factory barrels . Or maybe shooting factory I wasn"t trying hard enough ,nope they just did not measure up to my specs
    YMMV/Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post

Proud owner of:
    I started this post to get some info. The only info I got from you is that you're a legend in your own mind. Please keep your thoughts and writings to yourself.

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy

Personally, I would like to find a .58 cal drop in barrel for my Renegade or Hawken. I've only seen one T/C .58 big bore in the last month listed on another site but the starting price was $700.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DW475 View Post
    Personally, I would like to find a .58 cal drop in barrel for my Renegade or Hawken. I've only seen one T/C .58 big bore in the last month listed on another site but the starting price was $700.
    Exactly why I've decided to go for a barrel mod from Bob Hoyt. The barrel bore will be in a new condition vs. a used highly priced original. I will get a fresh bore in the choice of twist and twist design for my application. Thanks!

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    How much $$$ is a rebore?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    How much $$$ is a rebore?
    I'll let you know how much Bob is now charging after I call him.

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Say Edward Back at yaw feller: YMMV
    Nope have no experience shooting a Hoyt re-bore. I only write about my experiences.
    My T/C factory 58 cal shooting P/B and a Renegade with & shooting the same.
    54 cal plainly showed better 100 yrd groupings with 90 gr of Gorex and no doubt shot a further distance having some resemblance of a long range grouping. On the other hand my 58 beyond a 100. ~ "I should have hung a bed sheet out there! Where'ed ya go ball?
    That is one primary reason why my Big Bore sit's in the safe year after year and I highly doubt it will be toted by me ever again.

Oh less I forget. say Robert : Sure thing send that T/c barrel to Hoyt.

FYI to all folks considering reusing a factory T/C breech plug on a Green Mountain barrel. Many of the factory T/C barrels use 11/16 x 20 tpi breech plugs, where as GM uses 3/4 x 16 tpi breech plugs.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast