Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CWD and You

Boolit Master

A link to an article indicating likely caused by rendering induced cannibalism:

https://drgeoffnutrition.wordpress.c...sh-bse-crisis/

Not the original article I read, but same cause minus exact detail.

Boolit Master

One thing I would add, is that the large cattle lots and the game farms feed animals with commercial feed products. These are designed to enhance weight gain and in game animals, antler growth. To do this they add protein additives. These protein additives come from the offal and parts of slaughtered animals not used for human consumption. Early in the Mad Cow disease scare, this was identified as the probable source of contamination of healthy animals. Animals put down with prion diseases were sent to processing plants that turned them into protein additives. In Europe, they don't allow it. Supposedly, its not suppose to happen here, either. However, I have my doubts.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    One thing I would add, is that the large cattle lots and the game farms feed animals with commercial feed products. These are designed to enhance weight gain and in game animals, antler growth. To do this they add protein additives. These protein additives come from the offal and parts of slaughtered animals not used for human consumption. Early in the Mad Cow disease scare, this was identified as the probable source of contamination of healthy animals. Animals put down with prion diseases were sent to processing plants that turned them into protein additives. In Europe, they don't allow it. Supposedly, its not suppose to happen here, either. However, I have my doubts.
    ^^^This is a very good description of the problem.^^^

This is from a great outdoor cook (I LOVE his recipes and philosophy on cooking wildgame). https://honest-food.net/chronic-wast...se-and-humans/
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Boolit Master

I recently talked to the local deer biologist from the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife.
    He is the resident expert on deer diseases.
    There has, so far, been no known cases of CWD in Oregon.
    He told me that there have been no known cases of CWD being transferred to humans.
    He also says it is recommended not to eat meat from deer with a known case of CWD...dale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12