Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JB Weld + buckshot ??

Question JB Weld + buckshot ??

I've used my very limited google-fu skills(unsuccessfully) to find something that resembles a wax/lead type slug but substituting JB Weld in the place of the wax. I've watched Taoflaedermous's videos of different jbweld slug types and shapes but have never seen anyone take the original JB Weld and pour it into a load of buckshot and let it harden up. Or better yet take the buckshot load and place it in a cylinder and pour the JB in to harden around the balls then load it back into the shell.
    Anyone here try this?
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

I've never done that, but JB Weld can do a lot of things.
    I knew a guy once that thought you could make a boat trailer out of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I think with the consistency of JB Weld you might be better with a mould or form. mix buckshot and JB weld together and then pour in the mould. My reasoning being the JB weld may not flow or may air lock leaving voids and air pockets. By mixing measured amounts of shot and glue you would get a more even fill and consistency. One issue is the JB will be harder than wax and maybe even lead and not compress the same thru chokes or tighter bores

Agreed with the mold idea but I was thinking shooting these thru a rifled barrel . My thinking was a cylinder shaped lead/glue slug that could fracture on impact with a large deer but still penetrate bone etc past where normal buckshot becomes useless.
    I'm the gun totin, meat eatin', BIBLE readin', redneck conservative your mother always warned you about.

" Holes kill stuff. "

JB weld doesn't compress. I'd advise against it- if you're using a rifled barrel just use slugs. My opinion doesn't mean much coming from a rifle state; but I've used JB weld a lot.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    This one went straight over my head. Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qL8lBYyP_o.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	236572

Name:	fUHnRCVa_o.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	236573

So using the JB Weld as a void filler and the wad as a mold I mixed it up and put 1oz of #4 buckshot in the cup. Then took a cut hull band to stop the cup from over expanding. Letting it dry to see what comes out.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    This one went straight over my head. Not sure what you are trying to achieve.
    Well we cast all different kinds of slugs ourselves from molds purchased from Lee to custom cast molds. Ive seen many different types of things shot out of a shotgun here and on other sites. Just wondered if anyone other than myself has attempted this before. I've seen it done with wax and birdshot but not with buckshot and JB Weld.
    If this looks do-able when it hardens I will make a bunch and test them for accuracy and performance giving us yet another option in our toolbox.
    Why? Because it's fun and I can.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Master

No offense finstr, but that sounds like a thoroughly bad idea. Lead is a lot cheaper and actually works as intended.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    I agree that this may be a bit dangerous. And this is coming from someone who has tried almost everything that can be shot out of a shotgun.

I have done something similar - but used hot-glue, melted in a ladle, , shot mixed in it, and poured into a shotcup mould. Hot Glue does compress, so I did not get much worries.

HOWEVER (!) I did get a LOT of fouling of my bore, and you would definitely get even more with JB Weld.

Finally: would JB Weld not make each shot MORE expensive?

Not worth it. [I think I remember even Jeff - Taofledermaus - discarded the idea too...]

I will measure the OD of the slug when it hardens and see what I have. If the diameter is too large to fit down the rifled bore with the shot cup petals attached then I'll reassess the situation. Could even make these in a 20ga shot cup then load them into the 12 with some wrap on them to act as a sabot.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Grand Master

JB Weld is pretty strong stuff. I don't know how frangible it would be.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I would use a remote fire method on the first few rounds. A slo mo video would be helpful if you have to look for action parts from your shotgun.

Oh, don't pay me no mind, i'm the guy who shots xbow bolts from a 410.

BB

Lol Ive done that before too.
    I have casted my own sabots and made aluminum jackets for them before too

Name:	Gyqgm6ri_o.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	236580

Here it is beside a non compressible partition gold slug.

Name:	xxdDpsiI_o.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	236581

Only problem was it wasn’t very accurate.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Buddy
    I've done this with great success using epoxy and also with plain, cheap wax in one of these wads:
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/images/CLBCm.png
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cu...tinfo/0729012/
    if you use an un-slit wad, the material doesn't need to be very strong to withstand the spin, and wax is way cheaper than JB Weld!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLBCm.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	236582

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You could go with poor mans buck shot cut around the hull until its almost completely around place in chamber and fire the hull and load stay together until impact. Never actually done it myself but saw it done a lot.

So his is what I ended up with. It’s a 1oz slug with a .680” dia

Name:	lvf8ONLl_o.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	236586

It’s .722” with the shotcup petals attached and slides into the rifled barrel without too much force at all. I’m going to load this into a trap shell and see what the results are. Stay tuned.

" Holes kill stuff. "

Boolit Master
    Sliceing part way through a hull causes higher pressures because the hull is larger in diameter than the bore.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Haven’t done the JB weld trick but was successful with stringing #1 buck shot to monofilament line tied in a circle, leaving 2 out, can get 16 back in 2-3/4’’ 12 ga. Will carry all in a wad to target out to about 115 steps. Devastatingly good patern.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    No offense finstr, but that sounds like a thoroughly bad idea. Lead is a lot cheaper and actually works as intended.
    LIKE !

Redneck slug...be sure and get a video , I want to see what happens to that barrel.
    I can tell you melted wax didn't improve any patterens but wax and cured JB Weld are two different things.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast