RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Rossi 45-70 is it as strong as a Marlin or Henry

Boolit Buddy

Question Rossi 45-70 is it as strong as a Marlin or Henry

A friend wants me to load some rounds for her and she has a Rossi 45-70. I have Marlins in 45-70 and go by reloading manuals that are at least 25 yrs old and load to the specs for Marlin leveractions. Can I load rds for a Rossi using the Marlin loading specs, or should I use trapdoor specs

Boolit Grand Master

The Rossi 45/70 is a 336 clone. I would not load it to the same pressures as a 1895.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

The Marlin 1895 45-70 is also a 336 clone.

BB

Start at upper Trapdoor level and work up. Your shoulder will tell you when to quit

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    The Marlin 1895 45-70 is also a 336 clone.

BB
    It is, but it is a larger clone.

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Negative, 1895 has the same frame but is actually lighter than a 336. Extra metal is removed from the 45-70 frame to accomodate the larger 45--70 round. The 45-70 does have a heavier barrel contour but the barrel shanks for 30-30 and 45-70 are the same.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I will start with a close to the top trap door load, 400 gn RCBS cast powder coat bullet with gas check, WLR primer, either IMR 4198 or H322 powder and Starline brass. I will make up 10 rds and increase the powder 1/4 gn every 10 rds and watch for pressure signs and bruising on her shoulder, lol.

Boolit Master
    And when you pull a Marlin 1895 to bits,and see how thin the reciever is at the mag tube hole,you may have second thoughts about firing one again.The barrel tenon thread very nearly cuts into the mag hole,and in some guns you can feel bumps .The barrel tenon is also very thin,so thin,that a rebarrel has to be carefully done with perfect threads,or the chamber will bulge as the metal is expanded to fill the thread .............PS,dont look for cracks in the thin metal ,you will only worry some more.

Boolit Buddy
    john.k, are the pre remington/marlins weak as well?

Boolit Master
    The older 1970s /1895 s are the only ones Ive had apart...........I bless the JM craze,cause I sold mine for a good sum and bought a modern 1886 clone as a replacement........

Banned
    Why anyone would want a "hot" 45-70 (except for Griz bear defense) gobsmacks me. My No. 3 with trapdoor loads is all I can take although THE GUN would handle loads tromping hard on a 458 win mag.

Get a 330 gr Gould HP mold and load to Trapdoor specs ----- she may bake you some cookies.

Boolit Master
    In my Marlin 45-70 - My choice is the RCBS 300 grain flatnose, but shooting heavy bullets just adds recoil. I've shot a bunch of elk with 300gr bullets punching through both shoulders. Save the lead and save the recoil. My elk load is unpleasant with a 300 grain at 2200, BUT it is not my fun load, a 300 grain at 1400 plus/minus is much more fun. A soft recoil pad (LimpSaver,Kick-eez, Hi-Viz) makes a big difference. if you expect to shoot for fun at longer ranges, velocity MIGHT help, but the real long range shooters do avoid recoil (6mm Creedmoor?). Rifle weight helps for recoil but carrying a heavy rifle, ON FOOT in rough country is not fun, even in a saddle scabbard, a heavy rifle throws you out of balance. I would guess the Rossi much like the modern Marlin 1895.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Negative, 1895 has the same frame but is actually lighter than a 336. Extra metal is removed from the 45-70 frame to accomodate the larger 45--70 round. The 45-70 does have a heavier barrel contour but the barrel shanks for 30-30 and 45-70 are the same.

BB
    My apologies to you Sir. I was thinking M94 vs. M1886.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The older 1970s /1895 s are the only ones Ive had apart...........I bless the JM craze,cause I sold mine for a good sum and bought a modern 1886 clone as a replacement........
    After seeing for myself how thin the receiver was at the bottom of the barrel, where the barrel screws in always concerned me.
    I am with you on this. I sold my $360 guns for a nice sum and have not looked back.
    Last edited by jban; 02-24-2019 at 07:37 AM.