Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: favorite bullet mold for 45-70

Boolit Mold

favorite bullet mold for 45-70

i've been shooting my marlin 1895SS since 2000 with cast bullets, rcbs 405 GC and Accurate mold 460-350VG and the Accurate mold 460-430VG all gas check bullets designs. uses these at around 1600 FPS for moose and they shoot awesome behind either reloader 7 , imr 3031 or imr 4198
    Got a 1895 cowboy that i would like to shoot lighter loads with about 13-14 grains of trailboss , out to say 300 yards, planing on putting a vernier sight on her for shooting steel dingers . was wondering what mold you guys would use , i wouldn't need the gas check design for those light loads . or would those molds i got with the gas checks shoot just as good as plain base bullets at the slower velocities.
    with our winters here i don't shoot in the winter just mostly do my casting so i wouldn't be able to try my current mold bullet until spring but i got lots of time to get a new mold and cast some if there was a better mold to get. Suggestions?
    Regards
    Alan

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd say the 400 grain type bullets would shoot just fine. Best thing is to just try 'em. Long distance shooter ues heavier bullets to buffer the effects of wind, etc. and the heavier ones carry momentum better. I'd go with your 405 GC and just see what you can do with it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have the RCBS 405 and it gives me the best accuracy in three of my 1895's. I also have a .458 Win. Mag. that I shoot it out of and the accuracy is less than stellar. I currently have 18 molds for 459 - 461 boolits and just bought another one because I can't stop playing around with boolits and loads. BUT, if I was told to just choose one mold for the 45/70 the RCBS would be it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Newfie,

The first cast bullet I loaded for hunting with my 45/70 was a Wide Flat Nose - large meplate - LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) of 355gr.

Not having the accuracy and consistency I desired, I began to research the situation for a better choice.

Two of the fine folk on this forum guided me towards a bit heavier choice, saying that with cast bullets, the 45/70 typically shot better with bullets of 400gr or more.

One of those people happened to be making high quality custom molds at that time and I bought a WFN mold to cast a 465gr bullet. His recommendation was to cast of a 50/50 alloy - clip on wheel weights/lead - quenching the bullets as they fell from the mold that allowing them to age for a minimum of 7 days before use.

These were a gas checked design, and he also recommended that the bullets be sized in a two stage process. First sizing in a lee "style" push through die of .461 dia. and doing so ASAP after casting. Then at some later point, lubing the bullets in a .462 die in the sizer/luber. The larger lubing die prevented disturbing the surface hardness of the aged bullet.

Well, that has worked well for me, the bullet taking three elk and a pile of deer. Velocity in use is 1650fps.

I like RCBS molds, except for the fact that I like minimum of 4 cavity molds. Tom at Accurate Molds can make you a HIGH quality mold in just about any size/shape you'd desire and do so with quick turn around.

Velocity plays a huge part in recoil, my 465gr WFN at 1650fps giving MUCH less recoil then the WFN 355gr. at 2300 - 2500fps.

So, my recommendation is go to Tom at Accurate Molds, order a bullet of at least 400gr. then keep the velocity no higher then the mid 1000/2000fps level and ENJOY!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    In most of the B.P.C.R. shoots I participate in, gas checks are not allowed. My best load was 405 gr. bullet using I.M.R. 3031.

Attachment 236591Attachment 236592Well Newfie, here is the best of both boolit types, in my opinion. Tom at Accurate Molds,(a sponsor here) made this for me and honestly, I have never needed another mold for 4 different 45/70's. It is a 4 cavity with 2 PB and 2 GC cavities. They are 461405D and 460405A and the plain base in powder coated form shoots just as well as the GC. I have driven them 1900 fps with no leading at all, but that is as much fun as I care to endure on a regular basis. 1400 to 1500fps is more comfy and 1300 is better still. They are cast with clip on wheel weight and sized to .460, so you don't need a boolit as hard as a diamond.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use an old Lyman 457193 as my go-to bullet for the 45-70, both with BP and smokeless. There are others that may be better for specific applications, but this has proven time after time to be a superior all-around bullet for this cartridge. It is significant that this 405 gr bullet has been in more or less continuous production for well over 100 years... it works!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

The only complaint I have with the RCBS 405 is that I can shoot them a lot faster than I can make and load them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I would try what you have first. Yes you can shoot gc bullets without a check. I use Lee 405 plain base, and it shoots well, if you want to try something different. Dan

Boolit Mold
    How would I get ahold of Tom at accurate molds? What does a 4 bullet mold cost? Thanks

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'll second the 458193 .

I have a 462-420 MP , 460-543 NOE , 458-340 Lee and a 458-250 Rapine . Of the 5 I've shot 4 from squirrel slayer to moose whacker and the Lyman was the most flexible with powder and power choices .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Just check out Accurate Molds on line and look at his catalog for the many choices available.

Tom does not like to waste time with phone calls, but he has always been quick to answer my email!

I like to use RCBS handles on my Accurate Molds, and would be glad to share a few tips to improve the fit of the handles if you need them.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    I like the Lyman 457191 mold. It cast a lighter slug, around 290 g.
    It is a plain base so no check are needed.
    Also it uses a lot less lead, so my supply last longer.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Banned

my hands down favorite
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I have the RCBS 405 and it gives me the best accuracy in three of my 1895's. I also have a .458 Win. Mag. that I shoot it out of and the accuracy is less than stellar. I currently have 18 molds for 459 - 461 boolits and just bought another one because I can't stop playing around with boolits and loads. BUT, if I was told to just choose one mold for the 45/70 the RCBS would be it.

Boolit Master
    Only used the lee 405 mold so far ,still more accurate than me .might get the 360 mold next.

Here's my favorite:

Boolit Master
    I am going against the grain, but find that the RCBS 325 Universal (45-325-FN-U) is an excellent bullet in my Marlin 1985 .45-70. I have tried most of the heavier bullets mentioned. None of them offered any better performance. I have found that in terms of accuracy it is just as good as the heavier bullets.

Boolit Master
    I've tried many moulds for .45-70 bullets; all I use now is the Lyman #457122 HP. Seems to be at least as accurate at 100 yards as any of the others, but, I think it would be deficient at long range in comparison with a heavier bullet.

[QUOTE=bob3663;4582849]How would I get ahold of Tom at accurate molds? What does a 4 bullet mold cost? Thanks

Bob
    When you go to his page, select a boolit design and then configure a mold. It will ask you how many cavities and what diameter you want and which sprue plate you want. follow the instructions and it will take you through the entire process and you can see total cost and shipping, which is very reasonable. I use Lee 6 cavity handles on my molds and they fit fine, but I drill and tap them to keep the handles from loosening up over time. Good luck and welcome to the addiction. Lotsa knowledge here and great people too, always willing to help
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I started loading with the RCBS 45-405 and did not the performance I was after it was to small for my marlin bore , So I got a NOE 460-405HP and size .460 to me it is the perfect swamp hunting deer' hog and bear round over a load of IMR4198.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast