Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .38spl for CCW

Boolit Bub
    Love my S&W model 36 spur hammer circa 1972.
    I'd put a picture on here if I could figure it out.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by tecdac View Post
    Love my S&W model 36 spur hammer circa 1972.
    I'd put a picture on here if I could figure it out.
    Something like this? Model 36 no dash. Tyler T-grip

Attachment 238879
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I carry an older Colt Cobra. Their light and easy to wear all day with a pancake holster and their a 6 shot.
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Banned

grip fix time. took off the stock uncle mike's 2 finger boot grip and tried a hogue wrap-around 3 finger grip. the hogue offers far better cushioning for +P loads, but it's Big and i prefer a boot grip. tried the ergo delta and while it does offer better recoil absorption i can't really get used to that "glock angle" (their words). so i "fixed" the hogue grip and made it into a boot grip. ah, mo' bettah! yes, a jet speedloader works just fine, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190507_111239.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	241239

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190507_111218.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	241240

So, you cut the bottom of the grip off? Looks clean, what did you use?

Banned

with the bottom piece off, a very sharp blade took off the softer rubber grip extension while that part of the grip was on the frame. the hard bottom piece was added and the missing part of the soft rubber grip exposed the frame which was used a guide to begin the hard grip's cut with a hacksaw blade, which was then taken off the gun and made short work of with a bandsaw (though the hacksaw would have worked fine, only taken longer). with the hard bottom piece back on, it was easy to see what needed sanding and that was primarily done with a belt sanding station after taking off that piece, then touched up with an emery board and fine grit. looks good, works great. haven't found a 2 finger boot grip like this yet. glad i have one now.

Banned
    Grips are personal and whatever works for you is the best. So, GOOD JOB !

Since the ability to conceal a snubnose is my primary reason for carrying a snubnose, I tend to stay with some variation of a boot grip.
    The Tyler T-grip is also a good solution for maintaining a small profile while enhancing the overall grip.
    The Werner Carry System: https://snubtraining.wordpress.com/2...-carry-system/ is a valid option but one that I ultimately decided wasn't for me.

I will say that when it comes to handgun grips, I can only point to options; it's up each user to find what works for them.

Banned

well, the hogue is officially now a "2 fanger boot grip". it's a *tad* thicker overall than the stock uncle mike's and that both fits my hand a tad better and the foam on the backstrap will allow the high grip i like without biting the web of my hand. i think. i'll see next monday. i really DO like the uncle mike's and may put it back but add a neoprene backstrap strip. yeah, grips are personal. dang.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Wow, that looks great! How is it secured to the revolver?

Back on topic, I have two snub .38's that I carry and shoot frequently. An S&W 637 and a 1970's Charter Undercover. I am happy to say both of them are reliable and more accurate than I can hold. As we know, balancing shootability and stopping power is something of a delicate exercise here. My personal spec is a boolit of at least 140 grains travelling at a minimum of high 600's, around 675 fps. This doesn't sound like much, but a lead boolit with high sectional density will penetrate well even at sleepy wadcutter velocity. A big flat point will expand a little and create a fair amount of destruction. I just can't shoot anything stronger than this in a snubby.

The load I am carrying nowadays is a 150 grain Lee SWC over 3.1 grains Accurate Nitro 100 touched off by a CCI primer. It clocks an average of 692.5 out of my 637 with an extreme spread of only 27.51. It is accurate and easy to shoot also. As a bonus, Nitro 100 is a very clean burning powder, much more so than Bullseye. Next up I am going to see how well Clays does.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Wow, that looks great! How is it secured to the revolver?......
    the main grip body is one piece and slips on the handle frame, the small bottom hard plastic insert locks into the frame. that grip is NOT coming off without wiggling off the the hard bottom plastic insert with the flat blade of a screwdriver.

as i said, i haven't found 2 finger boot j-frame grips that are well padded at the backstrap so it was worth it for me to mod this 3 finger hogue grip. it feels *great* and allows me to go into a staged shot (pseudo S/A) or rapid fire D/A. however, the proof of this pudding will come monday night at the police range ....

Banned
    Looks like a great job modifying that grip.

Boolit Master
    Wife lends me hers in hot weather /Wyatt Deep Cover ,no holster needed !
    Attachment 241324Attachment 241325

Banned

before ...

after ...

Boolit Grand Master
    Very sensible mod. Backstrap filler improves finger placement on trigger. Removal of third finger groove makes gun more concealable and less likely to print.

Never could understand going to a small frame 38 then putting long three finger grips on it. If your snubby is gonna have a big butt why not carry something else?

Kudos for showing how it should be done. Since a square butt prints somewhat more I would round the aft end if possible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post

"Different strokes for different folks."
    yup. that sums up about 95% of all gun forums.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post

Never could understand going to a small frame 38 then putting long three finger grips on it. If your snubby is gonna have a big butt why not carry something else?

Kudos for showing how it should be done. Since a square butt prints somewhat more I would round the aft end if possible.
    /\ AGREED

When you put a big grip on a J-frame you now have a 5 shot K-frame

J-frame snubnose revolvers are small for a reason. There's no doubt that putting a bigger grip on a J-frame makes it easier to shoot but it also destroys the primary desirable trait of the J-frame, which is its small size.

Boolit Buddy
    rfd you’ve made a good choice IMO. Here’s my usual carry, I use Federal 148LWC in it:

]

I use an Uncle Mike’s grip.

Banned

i love the smith 642c snubby and i train with it weekly, 50 to 150 rounds per session of 158 acme hi-tecs over w231, with both medium and max loads. it's starting to become an "automatic second nature" defensive firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ AGREED

When you put a big grip on a J-frame you now have a 5 shot K-frame
    EXACTLY!! If a big honkin' grip is no problem to conceal, why not just move up to a bigger gun to begin with?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    before ...

after ...

RFD, the unmodified grip in the first pic looks like a different model than the one you modified. If you chopped and flattened the bottom of the grip in the first pic like you did yours, then the chopped part would cut the Hogue logo in half. Just being a nitpicker, I think I am going to get one of these!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast