Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .38spl for CCW

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I'm not TK, but I have an S&W Model 32-1. Its cylinder is 1.40" long, vs. about 1.60" for a .38 Special Model 36.

I took an extra Model 36 cylinder I had, faced it off and fitted it up with its own crane and ejector so that I could swap it onto my 32-1 frame and use short OAL .38 Special ammo, such as wadcutters, if away from home and short of .38 S&W ammo. I also made a file-trim die to chop the noses off .38 Special LRN rounds, turning them into 146-grain flatnoses, which improves their effectiveness and they then work in the abbreviated Model 36 cylinder and shoot to the fixed sights of the 32-1.

Attachment 237411Attachment 237412Attachment 237413
    That's awesome. Yeah my Victory 38s&w cylinder is reg 38 sp length I noticed the 32-1 cylinder is noticeably shorter. I was thinking of another cylinder to run 38 sp or 38 long brass through it. Interesting that the cylinder walls are thicker between the chambers on the 32-1 (five shot) than the Victory, but the external walls are a tad thinner near the case heads. 38 special in the same cylinder would actually have some more thickness due to the smaller case.

this is my solution ... 146 grain inverted wadcutter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38sw_wad1.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	237462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38sw_wad2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	237463
    -Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    I have a Ruger LCRx-3 (the 3" with adjustable sights) It is a 5 shot but light, compact and very accurate. I use it as a Kit gun and like it a lot.
    People really need to start looking at this model! Extremely versatile and an outstanding value. Got one for my lady 2 years ago and every time we shoot I am still amazed at accuracy and function for the price point. 3" sight radius and lighter than most 2" five shot wheel guns. I thought that semigloss black finish would look really bad after a few cleanings but not so...it is holding up really well...

Banned

i did a heckuva lot of thinking and comparing my requirements against all the spex of the offerings of what i believe are the only two viable snubby manufacturers i'd prefer, smith and ruger ... and the winner is ... smith model 642C, on sale from grabagun for $357/shipped to my FFL. this centennial model is missing the stupid and unsafe internal lock, much to my further enjoyment. an apex spring/FP kit and set of hogue rubber centennial grips are inbound as well.

i'll be loading up an array of gun baptizing rounds starting tomorrow.

many thanx to all for yer opinions and comments.

life is still good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a bad decision at all.

Props!

Ruger GP 101 snubby in 38 Spl...bull of a handgun. Buffalo Bore 38 Spl +P 158 gr gas check LHP preferred load.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    Ruger GP 101 snubby in 38 Spl...bull of a handgun. Buffalo Bore 38 Spl +P 158 gr gas check LHP preferred load.
    too heavy and too big for me and CCW.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i did a heckuva lot of thinking and comparing my requirements against all the spex of the offerings of what i believe are the only two viable snubby manufacturers i'd prefer, smith and ruger ... and the winner is ... smith model 642C, on sale from grabagun for $357/shipped to my FFL. this centennial model is missing the stupid and unsafe internal lock, much to my further enjoyment. an apex spring/FP kit and set of hogue rubber centennial grips are inbound as well.

life is still good.

/\ Good place to land /\

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ Good place to land /\
    your personal input was key, thank you P&P! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	477 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	237573

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    The wifes S&W custom shop Attachment 236613Attachment 236614 Wyatt Deep Cover she lets me play with it on nice days /Ed
    Although my 637 with a shaved hammer doesn't look as good as Ed's wifes anymore, this for my need is the a perfect carry gun.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Good choice, I have carried a 642 for years now. Stainless, hammer-less, +P, 15 ounces, no lock, reasonable. Bought it on the first look, it's not rocket surgery. Critical Defense ammo.
    Good choice, bad trigger, can't have everything.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I replaced my 642 with a 637, mostly because the 637 double action pull is way better. If I ever get another snubby it will probably be an LCRX.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

life is still good.

Looks great. I would be proud to lug that around. Looks like fun.
    -Mike

Banned

finally got the 642c but won't get to shoot it for another 4 days. the boot grip felt lacking in purchase and kinda hard. it feels Much better in the hand now that i installed a new 3 finger hogue grip. the trigger pull weight is about 14.5lbs on the average! i've got both wilson and apex spring kits but so far i'm surprised that somehow that trigger weight isn't an issue for me, at least for doing a lot of dry firing with snap caps. i found it's easy to squeeze the trigger and get it into the "valley" where i can hold it for quite a while and have it render a very single action kinda light and crisp trigger break. but it's also easy for quick pulls, all without disturbing the sight picture. so before re-springing it, i'll see how it all feels at the range first. made up a box full of ladder loads with w231 and Precision 125 and 147 grain hi-teks, and BBI 160 grain hi-teks. so far, the gun honeymoon is in full bliss swing.

Nice piece! Hint: 3.2 grains Bullseye + any 146-150 grain wadcutter will be BFF with this gun.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    That's a fine SD, carry it "all the time" weapon you have there.

Everything you need and nothing you don't.

Snag-proof. fool proof, reliable, concealable, lightweight, simple to use under stress and even simpler to always have with you.

I'll add that short barreled, 38 Special revolvers do their best work with projectiles in the 150-160 grain range. The weight needed for decent penetration. Anything heavier is just going too slow and is hard on the gun. Anything lighter is sacrificing penetration for velocity and there's not enough velocity from a snubnosed 38 to make that a good trade.
    Not to mention the sights are regulated for 158 grain projectiles.

Some folks keep trying to re-invent the wheel when it comes to short barreled 38 Specials but it's all been done before. There's no miracle, previously undiscovered, "new and amazing" Self-Defense solution out there.

A soft projectile weighing about 150-160 grains, going as fast as you can safely push it out of a short barrel, with either a flat point or a small hollowpoint - has a very long and successful track record.

When dealing with a snubnose 38, penetration is the first order of business. Expansion is just the icing on the cake. Get the bullet deep enough to reach something important. Don't worry about perfect looking mushroomed bullets - no survivor of a deadly force incident ever cared what the bullet recovered from his adversary looked like.
    A flat point or a hollow point helps the performance of the projectile as long as it doesn't imped the needed penetration.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 03-22-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Banned

Nice piece! Hint: 3.2 grains Bullseye + any 146-150 grain wadcutter will be BFF with this gun.
    hah! great minds sorta think alike - i loaded up 15 rounds to test out with 3.2 grains of BE under a 147 grain hi-tek.

That's a fine SD, carry it "all the time" weapon you have there.

Everything you need and nothing you don't.

Snag-proof. fool proof, reliable, concealable, lightweight, simple to use under stress and even simpler to always have with you.
    a good part of what i bought and will use deserves a tip o' the hat to you, sir! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	301 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	238471

Federal primers always produce more FPS with Bullseye in .38 Special for me, so that's what all my serious loads use.

Banned

range report ... the 642c shoots just as expected: Great. the w231/125 lite loads could be shot weak one hand, the heftier w231/147 & 160 loads required two hands for best effectiveness. all shooting started at 5 yards to get the feel of the gun and then quickly progressed to 7 yards. never missed center of mass, even with fast fire cylinder dumps. the hefty trigger is staying - i like it and it doesn't hamper my accuracy one bit. fired a total of 50 rounds, no residual effects of recoil. the gun is good, the price is excellent. highly recommended.

Boolit Master
    Yup great choice I have the custom shop version the trigger sweat as it can be.

Banned
    range report ... the 642c shoots just as expected: Great. the w231/125 lite loads could be shot weak one hand, the heftier w231/147 & 160 loads required two hands for best effectiveness. all shooting started at 5 yards to get the feel of the gun and then quickly progressed to 7 yards. never missed center of mass, even with fast fire cylinder dumps. the hefty trigger is staying - i like it and it doesn't hamper my accuracy one bit. fired a total of 50 rounds, no residual effects of recoil. the gun is good, the price is excellent. highly recommended.

EXCELLENT !!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast