RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .38spl for CCW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    most consider a pocket gun a gun that you keep in your pants pocket.
    I realize that. Just not something I like. My pants pockets have keys and wallet and such. And the pants I have it is obvious I am carrying a gun, even with a decent pocket holster and light pistol (LCR, LCP). Coat pockets at least conceal the pistol better.

And, yes, I've tried carrying in a pants pocket. Just not for me.

Banned

"tight" pants would be a printing problem, if not a withdrawal issue.

just like employing a proper gun, so it is with pants.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 642 had a dreadful trigger, no amount of polishing or dry fire would fix it. Try before you buy if possible.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    My carry style is affected by my wardrobe (and no tight pants ). I don't change my wardrobe to suit my carry style.

If I were to pocket carry I'd invest in pants made for such so the extra weight and bulk is not obvious to an observer. Most regular pants, even with a good holster, do not fit that requirement.

Banned

I wear jeans too and its tough to carry any gun in your front pocket without it printing. What I do is carry an lcp in a wallet holster in my back pocket. the holster I use is cut out so that you can fire the gun right in the holster. I just use one of those small credit card wallets in my front pocket or shirt pocket to carry cards and money. wallet holsters are a bit bigger then a real wallet but with everyone today carrying cell phones ect it never gets a second glance. Nice on hot summer days when all you have on is a pair of shorts and a t shirt. I personally cant stand an iwb holster unless I have a t shirt between it and my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I realize that. Just not something I like. My pants pockets have keys and wallet and such. And the pants I have it is obvious I am carrying a gun, even with a decent pocket holster and light pistol (LCR, LCP). Coat pockets at least conceal the pistol better.

And, yes, I've tried carrying in a pants pocket. Just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    S&W 649 works for me.
    John
    Me too. I have two. They are what I carry 95% of the time.

Boolit Master
    Here is the type of in pocket holster I use for my CA snubbie 38sp, and occasionally when I carry a .357LCR .

I am not saying it is the best to get, but it is what I like to use & it "works for me".

It is an Allen "Spider Web" in pocket holster & it doesn't "print" anymore than if I was carrying a Iphone in my pocket, front or rear.

Looks like this, but there are options for different shaped & size handguns. The one in the pic below is for 2-3 inch bbl revolvers:

Source:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Allen-Sp...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

It runs about 10 frogskins or so. It has a kind of "texture" to the outside of it which helps keep it in your pocket when you draw the firearm. The inside is soft & smooth for easy in/out.

Just a suggestion for the OP or anyone else if anyone is interested in something along those lines for "in pocket" carry.

P.S. - I should mention that depending on the size of ones pocket(s), the butt of the handgun may protrude a bit, but an un-tucked shirt, light jacket, suit coat, etc. will cover that pretty good most, or all of the time. I like that so I can get ahold of the handgun faster. Some may not... YMMV of course.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Attachment 236811Attachment 236812
    I know you said a 6 shooter but a j frame lightweight in a pocket holster will fit in a front or rear jean pocket or even easier a light jacket pocket and not print. And get it cut for a moon clip too. I also carry a moon clip and a bianchi speed strip for reloads. I like critical defense +p, not hard to shoot, also have a set Ergo grips on mine. They look weird but work. I wore the clearcoat off and had it ceracoated Marine Corp red. Needs another paint job now.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I have a Desantis pocket holster for my PPK clone. It fits and works, but, it looks like I have a huge, heavy square thing in my pocket. My wallet is smaller and it definitely is thicker than a phone, and looks it. Rear pocket would work except I just won't drive with anything in my back pockets. Tried it in cargo pants pockets and the sag from the weight was obvious. Yeah, no one can tell it's a gun but it is obviously not a wallet or phone.

My rule is probably a bit different than many. I don't want anyone, even a LEO or security of any type, to be able to see that I am carrying.

Banned

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I like El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max for the smaller guns:

Attachment 236937
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    thanx for all your comments and advice.

i've see the headlights, i'm going to opt for a hammer-less j-frame.
    Excellent choice the airweight out of the custom shop from Davidson’s is a great little gun and I would say I carry that gun more than any other I own.

Boolit Mold
    Tanners has some S&W airweight Scandium frame 2 inch revolvers for like 440usd right now. That's below dealer cost.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Excellent choice the airweight out of the custom shop from Davidson’s is a great little gun and I would say I carry that gun more than any other I own.
    i'm thinking the 642 pro (no clinton hole).

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite answer for CCW is the I-frame snub (in 32 S&W Long or 38 S&W) and their only slightly larger younger sibling, the Baby Chief in 38 Special. I'm an old school kinda guy though, and the newest of the three is over 60 years old.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy

A lot of folks seem happy with the Ruger LCR 357. My experience is that the trigger pull is horendous, like a cap gun. My J Frame 38 S&W has only a bit better DA trigger pull but SA is butter. I won't say the Ruger isn't good, I just didn't have a good experience with one.
    -Mike

Boolit Buddy

For your viewing pleasure (BTW Outpost75 answered this post from the get go, but we're having fun, right?)

A real pocket pistol... if the lead doesn't kill them, they usually catch fire from the black powder...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pocket_pistol.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	237135

Pocket pistol and the J Frame Snubby. 38 s&w firing 200 grain LRN at 750 fps.

Name:	PP_snw.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	642.2 KB 
ID:	237136

J Frame and Ruger LCR 357. Note the size of the LCR ... handy if your shooting 357s uncomfortable for 38 loads... but, capable of 357 and 38 +p

Name:	s_w_LCR.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	544.8 KB 
ID:	237137

LCR and Ruby 38 special 4inch with adjustable sights and ribbed barrel. Trigger on the Ruby is probably the best made, meets or exceeds S&W. I know, that's hard to say, but I've experienced 'em

Name:	LCR_Ruby.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	610.1 KB 
ID:	237138
    -Mike

Boolit Buddy

I pocket carry a Smith 637 with hammer...but only in a pocket holster that covers the hammer. The S/A trigger pull is excellent and if I had to place an accurate shot at 50 feet or so it could be done. Also have a Galco IWB that I usually wear inside the belt but outside waistband with shirt or jacket covering. This gun is my first choice for a quick trip to the gas station or whatever when I don't have the ambition to "suit up" with with a more proper 1911 and spare mags etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tk.....due to the appearance of the short cylinder and short frame of the 38 Smith and Wesson above, that looks to be an I frame, not a J frame. The J frame Smith is about the same size as the LCR and the gun pictured is very noticeably smaller.

From short barrels the 38 Smith and Wesson tosses a 200 no faster than 600 fps, and with actual chronographed velocity from stubby barrels usually does less than that.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with Outpost75. My wife carries a S&W M65 3” or a S&W M64 just like the one Outpost said except stainless.

I carry a 2” M10, M60, Colt Detective Special or a Colt Mustang, depends on my mood that day lol

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast