Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .38spl for CCW

Boolit Master

Ruger SP101 in .357, five rounds. The wife carries one she loves it I like it.

Boolit Master
    Well, hell.. If I knew you would have been so easily influenced into a hammerless or bobbed hammer snubbie, I could have offered a different carry suggestion or 3.

Oh well...

Gluck! Whatever you end up deciding to get... May it keep you safe.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    thanx for all your comments and advice.

i've see the headlights, i'm going to opt for a hammer-less j-frame.
    The wifes S&W custom shop Attachment 236613Attachment 236614 Wyatt Deep Cover she lets me play with it on nice days /Ed

I've always liked the Cheif's Special m36 or for pocket carry the humpback Bodyguard m38. I've killed rabbits and skunks with the former from elevated blinds so it's minute of good enough accurate. I like the option of single action pull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I also like the option of a single action pull as the 38 is not just a self defense piece but an annoying spur of the moment short range varmint eradicator. Thus the 638. Shrouded hammer eliminates snags yet can be thumb cocked.

I can tell you 130 HST does well on raccoon and opossum. Didn’t have time to change out my ammo to my usual cast wadcutters.

Boolit Master
    My choices of a concealed carry revolvers include a SS Model 60 (38 Spl), two 642's, and a Ruger 357 LCR. My prefered choice is pocket carry in a Mika holster.

The model 60 is too heavy and IMO, an exposed hammer has no business on a revolver that is used for pocket carry.

The 642's are almost perfect, in that it's lightweight with no hammer to snag...........however the finish does not hold up to EDC. The sights are marginal and the stock DAO trigger is very heavy. That's the reason I have two......the Talo Edition has a much better/lighter trigger.

The Ruger 357 LCR hammerless is what's in my pocket, now. Better out of the box trigger, better sights, better caliber for only about two ounces more...............with the option to use 38 Special, if you must.

Winelover

Banned

Any comments from S&W Bodyguard 38 owners?

Boolit Buddy

S&W 649 works for me.
    John

Boolit Master

My preferred carry is a S&W 66 w/2.5 bbl. Light, fits nicely and if, God forbid, I ever have to draw, I think 6 rnds will do the job.
    Semper Fi.

Banned

im more of a 9/40/45 guy but I sure wouldn't feel undergunned with a j frame 38 smith in my pocket.

Boolit Master
    rfd, I have had my M38 Bodyguard about 20 years and carry it often. Like has been stated above the ability for single action is nice for longer range shots, other than that it’s just a J frame.

Boolit Grand Master

Wife carries my Chiefs Special and loves it but it's a 5 shot. The Ruger SP101 is hard to beat for a new. Get the 357 short barreled and use all the 38sp of whatever variety you want but I will tell you that full house 357 Mag loads in that short barrel is not pleasant. Pleasant is not enough to dissuade me in a self defense scenario, though.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I EDC a S&W Model 649, shrouded hammer style. You can shoot either single action or double action. It's nice to have the capability to shoot .38special, .38 +P, or .357. I carry in a Desantis pocket holster. Gun conceals very well in a pair of blue jeans. Hope whatever you pick keeps you safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    I own and use Taurus, Colt, S&W and Rossi 38 Special 2" barrel revolvers. I own one of the new Colt Coba 38+P 2". It is the best point shooting 2" I have ever used, the trigger is better than any of the others and at MSRP of 699$ worth every cent. They can be had for less now that they've been out for over 2 years. Take a look........
    The trigger of 8 lbs. double action on the new colt is the best I have tried on any double action. I fired less than a box of plus P in an indoor range. For longer sessions especially indoors, I wouldn’t shoot plus P but the gun absorbed the recoil just fine.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The Rossi 461/462 are outstanding. All steel six shot .38 or .357 the same size as an SP-101 and a lot less money. Don't discount the Armscor 206. It has Colt DS architecture, uses the same grips, and is a very serviceable gun for the price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Carried a S&W M10 2" for years. Got a S&W M65 3" now. Looking at picking up a cheap 4" 64 +P DAO and chopping the barrel on it too and installing a Novak dovetail front sight. Pondering getting the cylinder cut for moon clips now.

Outpost75 pretty much nailed it from the beginning. If you're open to a 3" barrel, I consider that an even better choice for my personal preference. The reason being a 3" over a 2", is heaven forbid you should ever have to actually use it and have to reload. Most 2" 38 Specials ejector rod just isn't long enough to punch the fired cartridges out, a 3" will.

In regards to a hammerless 5 shot, I see only 2 advantages. One, if necessary you can fire it from inside a coat pocket. I see you are located in NJ. Reason 2, a 5 shot J frame hammerless in hand inside your coat pocket, beats any gun you can't get to in a hurry beneath heavy clothing.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    I don't wear a coat often enough to have a pocket gun.

I have had three CCW revolvers. Taurus 85, 805, and Ruger SP101. The two Taurus had really nice triggers. The 85 with the smaller wood grips was easy to conceal and shoot with only two fingers on the grip. The Ruger I carried the most since it was also my 'fishing' gun. These were all carried in a holster. IWB, pancake or shoulder. They all had bobbed hammers. The Ruger had nice, cushy grips and it was not that unpleasant to shoot magnum loads. I would not recommend them for a long range session

And, yes, the .38 is a decent defense round. These days there are several factory loads that I would pick from that meet the FBI standards.

Banned

most consider a pocket gun a gun that you keep in your pants pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I don't wear a coat often enough to have a pocket gun.

I have had three CCW revolvers. Taurus 85, 805, and Ruger SP101. The two Taurus had really nice triggers. The 85 with the smaller wood grips was easy to conceal and shoot with only two fingers on the grip. The Ruger I carried the most since it was also my 'fishing' gun. These were all carried in a holster. IWB, pancake or shoulder. They all had bobbed hammers. The Ruger had nice, cushy grips and it was not that unpleasant to shoot magnum loads. I would not recommend them for a long range session

And, yes, the .38 is a decent defense round. These days there are several factory loads that I would pick from that meet the FBI standards.

Banned

i want a *pocket* gun, not IWB let alone OWB. the model 60 i had fit perfectly, just a half pound too heavy and it had a hammer (yes, which i could have bobbed). i've had rugers, two gp100s and a pair of sp101's, all good guns for sure, but none were pocket guns. i currently have one ruger left, an S/A blackhawk .357mag 6.5", just for range fun and clearly that bad boy's not for a pocket.

i don't feel comfortable taking a gamble on a taurus, charter arms, amscor, etc. - both for gun quality and service reliability.

the lcr is viable for sure. i shot one. it'd be a good choice. however, i think i'll stick with S&W and right now the 642 pro (no "clinton hole") appears best ... for me.

thanx again to all for your comments and opinions.

cheers,
    rob.
    Last edited by rfd; 02-24-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast