Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger Flattop .45 Convertible and Cast Loads

Ruger Flattop .45 Convertible and Cast Loads

Last month I bought a Ruger Flattop .45Colt/.45 ACP Convertible, and wondering why I didn't have one of these sooner. The weight, balance, size and feel was more like the Ubertis and Colts I'm used to.
    And while it is a New Model Ruger without the 4 clicks, it has a very smooth action and nice trigger.

Built on the smaller midframe, it can't handle the 30,000 psi Tier III loads, but what it can handle, Tier II or 23,000 psi, is plenty for anything I need now that I've moved away from Grizzly country.
    A 250 to 280 boolit at 1000 to 1100 is plenty enough to put the hurt on anything.

Ruger seems to have taken better care building these Lipsey Distributor Exclusives, better bluing, not full of rough cast surfaces and burrs like the newer Blackhawks.
    Also the midframe Flattop and New Vaquero stop (index) properly at each chamber, and have blued steel grip frames and ejector rod housings, unlike the regular Blackhawk line that have an aluminum alloy GF and ER housing, that is then "painted" black.

I'm in my early 60's and it's getting hard to see the front sight sharply anymore. The old notch and blade like the Vaquero has is more difficult for me to do well with than the adjustable sights of the Flattop.
    I just had a 7.5" Vaquero, but because of the sight thing, traded it off for a second Flattop .45 Convertible last week:

The first FT had throats that were all .452" and it did well enough considering all I had when I first took it out was factory ammo.
    The HSM Cowboy loads are loaded in Starline brass (which I load with), and aren't as expensive as other factory .45 Colt, so I bought a box until I could order some more cast boolits.

I also had a box of these W-W bonded hollow points someone had given me:\

Ruger sold so many of the guns that Lipsey had talked them into making, that they now have the Flattop Convertibles in their regular line-up.
    The new gun I got was sent to Tylers in Texas for chamber reaming to .452.5", action job and 11 degree forcing cone.
    I loaded up some HSM bulk cast (which I can buy locally) with 8.0 grains of Universal.
    I'm not sure if the flyer was me, or a void in the bullet, but this sixgun can shoot:

My Cimarron with 5 1/2" barrel got 830 fps. with 7.4 grains of Universal, so I was surprised that 8.0 grains in the same barrel length Ruger was getting 940 fps.
    I had brought 10 rounds loaded with 8.5 grains to try and they were clocking 988 !
    So I might scale back to 7.5 and see how they do.
    For sure, more velocity than I was expecting. BTW, bore is also .452".

One thing I don't like is how Ruger is now shipping all revolvers, whether blued or stainless, with stainless hammers and triggers. Just doesn't look right on a blued gun.
    My older FT must have had a carbon steel hammer, that was left in the white, as it took some bluing.
    Here you can see the blued hammer next to the other FT that has a stainless one:

I tried some W-W hardball out of the .45 ACP cylinder last week, it was accurate enough, but I can't see I'll use it much, .45 Colt is just "more funner".
    Maybe if I still had a 1911 and several ammo cans full of ammo the ACP cylinder would have more appeal.

One thing I need to do is get some nice wood grips, not a fan of the fake Ivories or the cheap plastic checkered grips they put on at the factory.
    But I'm tossing around the idea of putting on a longer Super Blackhawk frame, and a lower, wider Super Blackhawk hammer. Then this Flattop will be just right.

Vendor Sponsor

It's already just right! The SBH frame moves the trigger guard closer to the knuckle.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice report. I’ve been thinking about getting a Flat Top.

Dougguy, the current XR-3 grip frame just feels too short to me. I would get the Hunter round trigger guard SBH frame, not the square Dragoon one, never did care for those. I'll have to decide before I get new grips.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a New Vaquero that would make a great home for the leftover white grips!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve got one of the flattop stainless guns and it’s just a peach when it comes to lighter to mid tier loads. Any heavier and my middle finger gets beat up too much by the trigger guard. Had a 41 flat top. Miss that one

Boolit Master
    I have a new Vaquero that could use that 45 acp cylinder, lol. Ruger makes a good, no nonsense gun.

Moderator Emeritus

I have one also. Are there grips that would allow the grip not to "twist". I have nerve damage on last three fingers. First shot perfect. Subsequent shots will twist out of my grip. Standard factory 45lc or even acp. Haven't shot it in awhile because of that.

Ron

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I have one also. Are there grips that would allow the grip not to "twist". I have nerve damage on last three fingers. First shot perfect. Subsequent shots will twist out of my grip. Standard factory 45lc or even acp. Haven't shot it in awhile because of that.

Ron
    Fatter grips or try the pinky under the grip frame hold. To me, the factory bevels on the grip panels could be placing your pinky to close to your palm for you with an under the grip grip technique. I like a minimal bevel or flat bottom grips.

Banned

I use Gun Fighter grips on all my Ruger single actions
    Every hand is different
    Gun Fighter style works best for me
    I use the SASS two handed grip as seen on Long Hunter's video

So I disassembled both revolvers this morning, and there is one problem upon reassembly.
    The gate/bolt spring is not letting the bolt drop back down when the gate is opened, so the cylinder can't be reinserted.
    The bolt does drop down briefly when cocking back, and comes back up at full cock like it should to lock the cylinder.

But something is wrong with that gate/bolt latch spring, as I think the bolt should drop down when the gate is opened.
    Any ideas ?

I got it working o.k. now. The first time the gate was opening fine, so the gate spring hadn't slipped out from under the gate. Second time I reassembled it the bolt was dropping down when the gate was opened. All is good now.

Boolit Master
    My flat top 45 convertible is one of my best shooting Rugers I did have to put a taller blade in the rear sight to get the sights on .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post

Ron
    Do you mean 'twist' as in it turns sideways on recoil, or does it 'roll' up in the hand? The second is how the Colt grip was designed. I found I could grip it lower and put my pinky under the grip, but, then the back of the grip dug into my palm. When using a 'high' grip it would not rotate as much but then the trigger guard would 'ding' my second finger. I solved it by selling the gun and not getting another single action.

Hogue makes some nice grips that solve the problem, but, to me they are ugly so I never bought them.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger.../new-blackhawk

Moderator Emeritus

Twist as in turning sideways. Like I said she's a beautiful revolver and I don't sell my guns. Next time out I can try the pinky or even fatter grips. I don't have as much of a problem with my semi's and blockier grip.