Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .38spl for CCW

Banned

.38spl for CCW

seeking one out, my initial criteria would be: .38spl +P only, six cartridges, 1-7/8" to 2-1/8" barrel, hammer version. i've found a few, and the taurus 856 spex seem best ... but it's a taurus, and very concerned over both quality and customer service. maybe i need to just go the S&W/ruger route, and/or start compromising. your opinions and comments, please?

I have both a Taurus revolver and SW revolvers. They are all reliable. The Smiths lock up tighter and shoot a little more accurately. I wouldn’t have issues carrying either brand. I prefer the hammerless J frames for carry but they are 5-shot.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Look for a former police S&W Model 10 round butt 2"

Attachment 236552
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Look for a former police S&W Model 10 round butt 2"

Attachment 236552
    Probably the best choice for the criteria.

Banned
    Given the criteria, I agree with Outpost75 and I'll toss in the option for a 2" model 64 which is the same gun in stainless steel.

To the OP, PM in-bound.

Banned
    Attachment 236559Attachment 236560

A couple of old school options.

An alloy framed S&W Model 12 or a Colt Detective Special.

Both have 6 round cylinders but both are out of production. The old Colts are squarely in collector's territory these days and are difficult to find in affordable and good condition.

Another option would be a 2.25" Ruger SP101 but that will be a 5 shot cylinder. The SP101 is a solid gun and well worth a look.

As previously stated, a 2" Model 10 or its stainless twin the 2" model 64 would probably come the closest to fitting the OP's criteria.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger LCRx in 38sp. or .357 might fit in there for having a hammer, but for the lack of being 6 round cylinder, since they are only 5 shooters.

If you are strictly in the 6 round capacity market, then, Nevermind.

G'Luck though! in finding what you seek!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy

I've carried a Taurus for awhile now, it's been very reliable on the range. Shoots to poa with with Hornady 125gr hp.
    Jeff

I've never had any problems with my Taurus 85.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have no problems with a tauras ether. Just bought wife a sw 442 that she loves but only 5 rounds.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger LCRx-3 (the 3" with adjustable sights) It is a 5 shot but light, compact and very accurate. I use it as a Kit gun and like it a lot.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you considered a GP100? The 2.5" barrel model with adjustable sights, and 7 shots is a lot of firepower in a compact 36 ounce package. They make GP100's in 6 shot versions, and fixed sight models as well.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I own and use Taurus, Colt, S&W and Rossi 38 Special 2" barrel revolvers. I own one of the new Colt Coba 38+P 2". It is the best point shooting 2" I have ever used, the trigger is better than any of the others and at MSRP of 699$ worth every cent. They can be had for less now that they've been out for over 2 years. Take a look........

Choice of holsters are pretty limited for a 6 shot snub nose. For me, it's not the barrel length that is a factor in concealment but rather the thickness and the butt shape. I carried a S&W 642 a while and it concealed wonderfully. I carry a full size 1911 now, it conceals okay but not as good as the smith did.

Boolit Master
    A 4" Model 10 Smith is actually longer than a Browning High Power, but otherwise nearly the same height. Just saying, as I know we're discussing a 2" version of the K-frame. The High Power is also much thinner, and holds almost 3X as much ammo. And yes, I realize that the Browning is no longer in production. Many similar size pistols are, however. Something to consider, at any rate.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned

thanx for all your comments and advice.

i've see the headlights, i'm going to opt for a hammer-less j-frame.

Is this an Every Day Carry or just want the option to ccw given the opportunity. Also have you concealed a revolver before?

I ask because I personally hated concealing my snub nose, just to heavy and bulky.

Banned

i had an S&W model 60 and i liked the way it pocket carried. just a bit too heavy and i don't want or need .357mag potential.

i'd been pondering the question of hammer and hammer-less and i've come to my senses (thanx P&P) about hammers and pocket carry.

Boolit Grand Master
    An aluminum J frame like a 638, which I have, is nice to carry. Not a pocket guy at any time so this goes AIWB. Nice summer gun. Practice loads are 3.1 grains Bullseye or Titegroup under a 148 WC.

While not entirely satisfied with it, I live with the 130 Federal HST as my current carry load.

Boolit Master
    I've had both a Taurus 85 and 805 (.357). Both shot well and had really nice triggers. The little 85 with the small grips makes a really nice small package. For me a bobbed hammer works as well or better than a shrouded (unless you plan on shooting through your coat pocket). I also did not feel the need for 6 rounds. IMHO, if 5 won't do it then 6 probably won't either.

I ended up with an SP101. I am not a pocket carry guy so it spent most of the time in a pancake holster (yes it would conceal under a long shirt). Don't have it anymore. I'd also consider an LCR these days.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast