Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Recommendations for a Competition Grade Air Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes

Recommendations for a Competition Grade Air Pistol

I would appreciate any recommendations for a Quality Competition Grade Pump Action Air Pistol. I'd rather not get involved with CO2 gas canisters if possible.
    .177 caliber is preferred.
    Anyone using one that gives them good accuracy?

Moderator Emeritus

I own several air pistols, none of which are "Competition Quality". However, a couple fellows in league have and shoot the Beeman P3 (https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P3/556) and shoot pretty much as well with theirs as I do with my S&W 41 .22 (it's depressing ). The limit of "Competition Quality" has a reasonable price ceiling in the $2K to 3K range -- and wouldn't even dare to suggest one of these due to my total ignorance re them. Most fellows, too, shoot PCPs -- and you suggested you desire pump. There are several air-gun forums -- suggest you seek what those persons use/reccomend.
    geo

I used to run NRA sanctioned air pistol matches for an International Air Pistol League that were held at my gun club, and at another area club each month.
    So I've seen a lot of different types of single pump pistols that folks would use, and being a scorer enables a person to see first hand how accurate the guns can be.
    There's a lot of different models that can all perform very well in capable hands.

Like everything else, settling on a model depends on a person's budget and how the gun feels to them.

For an intro. pistol, the Daisy 717 - 747 could shoot lights out in the right hands.
    Some guys could not shoot it very well because they didn't like the grip, the balance or the trigger.
    But at least one "Master" shooter could get his to shoot scores as high as with any top quality elite priced PCP match pistol.
    This one guy in particular would virtually always win the match with his Daisy 717 when he would attend and the only modification was a trigger job.
    Another downside of the gun was that because its velocity was marginal, the pellets would often cause the target holes to be ragged and torn, and not clean cut.
    And that was despite using the highest quality heavy Edelman German targets which are designed to promote clean holes without tearing.
    But the Daisy will generally tear holes in any target thickness which made their targets more difficult to score.

The Russian IZH pistols were probably the most popular and could easily win a match with their fine trigger, sights and exceptional accuracy.
    Their grips were very block like and not overly ergonomic, but some folks made nice modifications to them to try to improve their fit.
    While others would leave them stock and shoot them just fine.
    They can compete with any higher priced match gun.

One of the favorites of several club members were the Pardini K58 pump match pistols.
    Probably the finest and most accurate, powerful, ergonomic and consistent match pistol for its price.
    One owner would show us how he could squeeze the skirt of a match pellet to make it almost half flat.
    Then he would load it into his K58 and shoot bulleyes with them and say, "See, it doesn't matter what kind of match pellets that you use.
    They can all shoot bullseyes."
    They're a slightly heavier pistol than other single stroke match pistols like the top of the line Walther or FWB .
    At least one of the K58 owners ended up buying a Pardini PCP pistol because of the similar ergonomics and the same top loading flip up loading gate which is a pleasure to load.
    Many of the K58's and other Pardini's were originally sold and popularized by Don Nygord.
    Our club once sponsored Don to fly to Connecticut to deliver a weekend instructional shooting seminar.

There were also some other models used but the 3 mentioned above were the most notable pumps among our relatively small group of match shooters.
    But we always encouraged folks to shoot matches using less expensive guns just to try out the sport and enjoy some competition.
    We used a modified Lewis award system where each 5th shooter in the final ranking of scores would win a prize of a free shoot which encouraged people of all skill levels to turn out and to help grow the sport.
    The 1st place match winner would win a whole $1 more than the match fee.
    Last edited by arcticap; 02-22-2019 at 01:50 AM.

Boolit Master

Look on the used market for SSP pistols. As stated above, the IZH is a nice relatively inexpensive (when they were first introduced) match pistol. The top makers (Pardini, Steyr, ect) all had a SSP style match pistols before CO2 came in. Even then, some stayed with the SSP. The top of the line PCP guns are nice. I almostended up with a Steyr LP10 which was the top of the competitive circle for over a decade.

Boolit Master
    I have an HW75 I really like. I don't think I'd call it a true competition gun but it's very accurate and just a lot of fun to shoot. Similar to a 1911 in shape and feel. More fun to me than a true competition gun like the IZH, cost more too..

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Now I have my work cut out for me. Thanks to all for your help.
    I really do like the Russian IZH, but like I said, now the work begins finding the right one.

Boolit Master

I just happen to have a Steyr LP2 compact PCP .177 10 meter pistol for sale.
    PM on the way.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    I used to run NRA sanctioned air pistol matches for an International Air Pistol League that were held at my gun club, and at another area club each month.
    So I've seen a lot of different types of single pump pistols that folks would use, and being a scorer enables a person to see first hand how accurate the guns can be.
    There's a lot of different models that can all perform very well in capable hands.

Like everything else, settling on a model depends on a person's budget and how the gun feels to them.

For an intro. pistol, the Daisy 717 - 747 could shoot lights out in the right hands.
    Some guys could not shoot it very well because they didn't like the grip, the balance or the trigger.
    But at least one "Master" shooter could get his to shoot scores as high as with any top quality elite priced PCP match pistol.
    This one guy in particular would virtually always win the match with his Daisy 717 when he would attend and the only modification was a trigger job.
    Another downside of the gun was that because its velocity was marginal, the pellets would often cause the target holes to be ragged and torn, and not clean cut.
    And that was despite using the highest quality heavy Edelman German targets which are designed to promote clean holes without tearing.
    But the Daisy will generally tear holes in any target thickness which made their targets more difficult to score.

The Russian IZH pistols were probably the most popular and could easily win a match with their fine trigger, sights and exceptional accuracy.
    Their grips were very block like and not overly ergonomic, but some folks made nice modifications to them to try to improve their fit.
    While others would leave them stock and shoot them just fine.
    They can compete with any higher priced match gun.

One of the favorites of several club members were the Pardini K58 pump match pistols.
    Probably the finest and most accurate, powerful, ergonomic and consistent match pistol for its price.
    One owner would show us how he could squeeze the skirt of a match pellet to make it almost half flat.
    Then he would load it into his K58 and shoot bulleyes with them and say, "See, it doesn't matter what kind of match pellets that you use.
    They can all shoot bullseyes."
    They're a slightly heavier pistol than other single stroke match pistols like the top of the line Walther or FWB .
    At least one of the K58 owners ended up buying a Pardini PCP pistol because of the similar ergonomics and the same top loading flip up loading gate which is a pleasure to load.
    Many of the K58's and other Pardini's were originally sold and popularized by Don Nygord.
    Our club once sponsored Don to fly to Connecticut to deliver a weekend instructional shooting seminar.

There were also some other models used but the 3 mentioned above were the most notable pumps among our relatively small group of match shooters.
    But we always encouraged folks to shoot matches using less expensive guns just to try out the sport and enjoy some competition.
    We used a modified Lewis award system where each 5th shooter in the final ranking of scores would win a prize of a free shoot which encouraged people of all skill levels to turn out and to help grow the sport.
    The 1st place match winner would win a whole $1 more than the match fee.
    I agree with Arcticap, I would hazard a guess that they will all shoot as good as you do.

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3026 (2).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	240009
    Would like to share my practice & plinking back yard air pistol with folks. Cheap conversion and minimum require accuracy you could get from standerd pellet pistol sold in US.
    This is not single pump air pistol, such as FWB100, IZH, FAS6004 so on,, require 4 to 5 pump to reach 350 fps for .20 cal /5mm pellet which 14.3 grain Benjamin, Accuracy on 15 yard with bench rest will be 1.5" total of 20 shots. so not excellent but ok for 10 meter practice hand gun. This old Sheridan Model HB had been purchased back in 1990 ish,,. Sight aren't grate just say ok for extended arm olympic style shooting, otherwise feel too wide rear sight knoch vs too narrow front sight blade.
    Original triiger was joke so tuning and polishing must be done. End up I made about 1.5 lbs brake off, not as FWB chrisp and sharp triiger feeling but ok for practice. Cost and price on this pistol less than $80 ish,, so do not ask $2k accuracy with triiger and sights. Grip had been custom home made, I did not full copy Hammery and or FWB type 10m olympic air piston grip angle. Orignal Sheridan has Ruger type grip angle but trigger position is way different than olympic shooters guns,, so I choose 1911 grip angle plus,, as Anschutz 22LR and Walther GSP/OSP like rapid fire pistol did,,. Picture target include sighting zero for 5 shots ahead, those not counting 1.5" grouping check.
    I do shoot 2" metal swing target from 15 yards for fun in my back yard, not serious shooting practice as 10 meter paper target,, simply fun and just ok for accuracy that I looking for this low cost mulitiple pumping semi-custom air pistol. Belive or not, easy to hit 2" target from 15 yard away from one hand standing shot,, fun!
    Last edited by Shiori357; 04-17-2019 at 12:24 AM.