Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To size or not to size, that is the question.

Boolit Bub

Question To size or not to size, that is the question.

I am new to casting, and as the weather warms I will be doing some for cowboy loads. Do you have to size them whether or not they have wax lube or powder coat?. I cast a bunch of .358 with the Lee 6 cavity and they come out around .3585 up to .360.
    I have read that not all bullets need to be sized due to the cnc work on the moulds. I occasionally have seen the mould marks, so that user error. Or, should I size them all for consistency?
    Follower of Jesus
    Licensed Certified Gunsmith, FFL
    Member, GOA, SAF, NAGR, OSSA, OFF, AFA, and FPC. Maybe others.

You'll see differences in diameter from various alloys no matter how perfect the mold is.
    Using normal precautions-- Try a few and see how they work.

But for consistent accuracy, most folks would encourage you to size them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

As Winger mentioned-"consistency". Also I used to size and shoot before I "slugged" my bores. Slugging will determine what consistent "size" you need.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I size everything because I want things to be more uniform. Especially important with mixed brass. You get a thick case wall & a 0.360" bullet, you may have a chambering issue.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    as lee says if they chamber you can shoot em unsized.

Boolit Master

I lube in the lubrisizer, sometimes no sizing occurs because I use a large enough sizer. But, occasionally I will catch an oddball that was cast with the mold handles open, and feel the sizing resistance.

Those of you who are perfect won't have this problem.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

A few things are necessary to answer the question. For trouble free use of cast bullets you need to know your gun. A 38/357 is supposed to be .357" groove diameter, but do you know for sure?. Do you know the real groove diameter of your gun? If a oversize bullet passes through a smaller cylinder throat, it will be sized down. Do you know the dimensions of your cylinder throats? Normally cast bullets are .001"-.003" larger than groove diameter. Are your cylinder throats larger than the grove diameter? Know your gun and use bullets that fit your gun, or just...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I have somewhat changed my thinking on this question.

I've been reloading since the late 1980s, including purchased cast lead. I've been casting just a few years..

When I started casting, I used many Lee tumble-lube designs (still do), and never sized. Now, I size almost all boolits, including the Lee tumble-lube.

What I have discovered, is that the push-through sizers are very, very fast. I generally tumble-lube 2 coats, and it's nothing to run the boolits through a NOE Sizer in between lube coats. I can size several hundred boolits in a very short time. A dozen or more a minute is easy to do.

My answer ? If you are casting tumble-lube designs, shoot em as is for now, and as you progress in the hobby, and accumulate more equipment, you may decide to start sizing.

Boolit Master
    I size all cast for uniformity, I trim all cases and de bure inside and out of primer pockets for same reason. I get uniform crimps and the accuracy shows it is all worth it. Cowboy matches are won by speed accuracy and smooth function of your firearms, get one jam or failure in the lever section because of oversize cast or bad crimp and your day is done. Regards Stephen

Sizing is a quick and easy step. Just get the Lee passthrough die for your diameter. They will make it if it's not listed. It takes very little time and will help with consistency.
    WWG1WGA

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GuyKickinit View Post
    SNIP...

Or, should I size them all for consistency?
    Yep, size 'em all
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub

These are for 38/357 Cimarron Pistolero's and a Rossi 92 same cal. (slicked). I have been loading cast from the Missouri Bullet co. when I find a used bullet it shows the lan marks but not too deep. I measured the cast ones from them and they are pretty consistent at .358-.359

My mould is .358 and has the lube groove. I got some powder coat but am rethinking about tumble lube. Definitely looking at the lee sizing kit. It's cheap enough.
    Follower of Jesus

Boolit Grand Master

Size them!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    I remember reading Recluse’s first post on making 45-45-10: “I always size every bullet. Always. Every one.”

I think that’s a pretty good maxim, although I will blow off sizing in some cases, particularly when I have a nice uniform mould that drops everything within .001” or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have been casting for 40y, never had that happen. The mold may be perfect but my alloy & casting temps will vary, sometimes quite a bit.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub

How about tumble lubing bullets with a lube groove. I've also read, that a bullet should be sized before and after tumble lube or PC. Doesn't make sense to me. Is the TL actually that thick? Is the PC that thick? I'd rather not start off with a zillion steps.
    I think size then lube.
    Follower of Jesus

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I size all but only because thats how i lube them . If you lube another way or powder coat and they are of an acceptable size then i say go for it and see how it works in your gun. What works for me may not work for you. Only trying will tell.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GuyKickinit View Post
    How about tumble lubing bullets with a lube groove. I've also read, that a bullet should be sized before and after tumble lube or PC. Doesn't make sense to me. Is the TL actually that thick? Is the PC that thick? I'd rather not start off with a zillion steps.
    I think size then lube.
    Yep, I TL boolits with Lube groove.
    Yep I TL, then size, then TL again...this is real common, let me explain.

I use 45-45-10 and put on a coat so thin, it's difficult to see, putting it on that thin makes it possible to miss a spot, also the TL lubes the size die, making sizing real easy, but sizing usually removes the lube from the area that will contact the bore. So putting on a second thin coat of lube fixes that area, as well as covering any area missed from the first thin coat.

Tumble lubing and sizing in push through dies goes very fast, so it doesn't matter if we are seemingly adding steps.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Bub

So basically, sizing all just ensures conformity. I need to measure my barrels. The Cylinder mouth is closest to the forcing cone, yes? Do I also measure the cone or just past it? Measuring the barrel; do I measure the smallest circumference, or with in the grooves.
    Mind you I'm not a total doofus, but close. I just want to make sure I do it right.
    Follower of Jesus

Moderator Emeritus

I'll let the others who suggested measuring give you directions on measuring.

Myself? I'd just size the boolits at .359 and load 'em up.
    If there are cycling/shooting problems, then break out the measuring tools.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master

Some will tell you about "drop through", "push through", etc., but I want facts. The cylinder throat is the "muzzle end" of the cylinder. You can slug it the same way as slugging the barrel; drive a lead slug through the cylinder from back to front and measure with a micrometer. This whole idea is about fitting your lead bullet to your gun.

Visualize a bullet leaving the case. The bullet travels a short distance to the throat, and if it is larger than the throat, it gets sized down to the diameter of the throat. Then the bullet enters the forcing cone and is centered and swaged down to a tight fit in the barrel, sealing gasses and preventing barrel leading.The bullet is still larger than the groove diameter and it enters the rifling and grips the rifling while continuing to seal the barrel. If a bullet does not seal the barrel for any reason (too hard, too small) then accuracy declines and lead fouling is deposited on the barrel ID.

That's the way I was informed/taught many years ago and fitting cast bullets to the gun had given me some very accurate, trouble free, clean shooting boolits...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast