RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: I'm building a chuck box need leg advice

Boolit Master

I'm building a chuck box need leg advice

So, for my design I want to make legs out of 1x2's. The box is quite large (38"x24"x18"). It's not going to weight much actually because alot of the space is pots etc, (no cast iron in this box). Also the legs only need to be 24 inches long, not longer.

SO, my plan was to use birch 1x3's, but 1x2's are a better form factor.

Would you have any concerns putting a chuckbox on 1x2 legs? If so, do you think Birch mitigates any risk? I can use Oak, but I have a feeling Birch is no less strong? Birch is pretty darn strong at 24"...

Boolit Master

Forgive the assumptions...

Given you design is somehow going to store the legs inside the chuck box when not in use and somehow attach ... I'd consider tapered 90° angle legs. Another idea is to 550 cord in an X design between the legs.

Boolit Master

You assumed correct. The legs will attach by hand screws 3/8-16 (x2 each leg) and the legs go straight down to the ground. The strength they need to have is to simply not buckle (or be wobbly enough to threaten buckling). That's to hold an 18" tall box 18" off the ground with a 6" overlap on each corner, held within those overlap area by the mentioned two 3/8 bolts.

Seems like 1x2's should be strong enough for this purpose, but I don't want to learn I am wrong when I am 5 hours from civilization and cobbling together a solution by lashing in tree branches, etc!

Boolit Grand Master

You might consider 3 legs instead of 4. 3 will sit on uneven ground with no rock 4 will rock if lot a flat level surface. Something to consider. The legs should be fine you might consider a stake pocket type mount for the legs to help hold them in place also. When assembling in the field the pockets are almost an extra set of hands aligning the legs so that its easier to start the hand screws. Birch oak or maple should be good. Maple might be a little heavier.

Boolit Master

Never thought about three legs, but that's a good point. My design is adjustable, which is why I'm using 3/8" screws which are WAY overkill for this application. And I can add fender washers with rubber gaskets for even more friction, but the idea was loosen the screws, slide the leg up and down, tighten the screws.

I'll re-think 3 vs 4. Just need to get a mental grasp over tip-risk. a box with a footprint of 38x24 means a centered 3rd leg on the side puts the corners 12" away. maybe tip-safe, maybe not. But definitely wobble proof....

Birch is strong enough. It can have weak spots if there is any burl or figure in it though. Plain grained birch is strong and tough.

Banned
    What is a "chuck box" ? Something to store Woodchucks in ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    You might consider 3 legs instead of 4. 3 will sit on uneven ground with no rock 4 will rock if lot a flat level surface. Something to consider. The legs should be fine you might consider a stake pocket type mount for the legs to help hold them in place also. When assembling in the field the pockets are almost an extra set of hands aligning the legs so that its easier to start the hand screws. Birch oak or maple should be good. Maple might be a little heavier.
    I am a cabinet maker by trade and never thought how much more stable 3 legs would be, your the man country gent. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Chuck box is box you keep your kitchen stuff in while camping.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    Chuck box is box you keep your kitchen stuff in while camping.
    It made me wonder also, I was thinking he meant lathe chuck storage box.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    What is a "chuck box" ? Something to store Woodchucks in ?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_box
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I knew I posted this in the right forum.

Boolit Master
    when I was in the scouts we had one the legs were pine 2x3 never had a problem. both sides folded down for work areas.

My brother made a nice one. Make sure you size it around those items you plan to carry. TOP opens up to hold small items and utensils. Front drops down to make a work space. Should be some excellent plans free on the internet? Tom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    So, for my design I want to make legs out of 1x2's. The box is quite large (38"x24"x18"). It's not going to weight much actually because alot of the space is pots etc, (no cast iron in this box). Also the legs only need to be 24 inches long, not longer.

SO, my plan was to use birch 1x3's, but 1x2's are a better form factor.

Would you have any concerns putting a chuckbox on 1x2 legs? If so, do you think Birch mitigates any risk? I can use Oak, but I have a feeling Birch is no less strong? Birch is pretty darn strong at 24"...
    Yup both are strong but birch is prone to rot/punk ,why you never see birch furniture! Oak /maple/ash will last (poetic) Ed

Boolit Grand Master

A box that's rocking on you is probably more prone to tipping than one that's sitting stable. When we wanted a solid foot print for tools and gages it was a 3 feet support. the sliding legs supported with a boss on each side will be very solid and easy to adjust. Another is a .060 brass plate between legs and box to allow legs to sit flat and not rub on box. this also makes a better clamping surface for the legs.

Ahhhh ! A small chuck wagon without wheels.

Boolit Buddy
    Couple thoughts for you.

My opinion is the type of wood wont matter as much if you use a straight/tight grained piece of wood. Keep away from knots and splits, dry rot etc. and you should be good with just about whatever you got.

A 1X2 really isn't 1X2 inches, more like 3/4 X 1.5". And if you put a 3/8" bolt through it, closer to 3/4 X 1 after you drill a whole big enough to slip the bolt through. Of course, since you're building this yourself, you can make them any size you want.

And I hope you thoroughly enjoy your camp when you get there !