RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 35 Whelen and the Proper Bullet Nose Issue

Boolit Master

35 Whelen and the Proper Bullet Nose Issue

A couple years ago TxGunNut was generous enough to send me a hand full of the 360-230 THOR boolits to give a try in my 35 Whelen that was sporterized from an older Mauser action. Unfortunately, the large meplat would not feed into the chamber from the magazine. A common problem. I took a file to a couple of the boolits to put more of a point on the tip. Those feed perfectly but were more in line with a jacketed bullet. It would be a great target round but not what I want to hunt with in a pure cast projectile. I suppose if I were to BruceB soft point them it could work. Anyway, I got sidetracked from this project for other distractions. But the kettle is still on the burner with the flame on low. I don't like leaving a rifle unprepared to leave the safe when called upon.

With this said, what kind of experience do you fellow casters have with the more streamed line 35 caliber boolits that have a hollow point in the end to encourage expansion? Is this the panacea that allows smooth chambering and quick kills on big game?
    I realize that alloy choice has much to do with success. Thanks in advance for your pictures, comments and suggestions.

I tried many in my 700 35 Whelen without success, until I tried the Thumper from NOE. It slides right on in every time. Works great in my M70 too. That nose profile isn't pointy at all, but it works in my rifles.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Banned
    I use a very blunt NEI DD 280 gr boolit in my Whelens with no feeding issues. (FN commercial, 03 and 700). Think your problem may be in the feed ramp and magazine rather than the boolit. I'd blacken the boolits and see where the interference is.

Here's a pic of the same boolit in the .411 version (I have the .311,.358 and .411) that feeds with no issues in my 03 400 Whelen.

Boolit Master

Sven
    Looks like one heck of a good bullet!

Banned

rcbs 35-200 bullet
    the results in the field

Banned

results on paper, 2500 fps velocity

Banned

175 yd hog

Two bullets shoot exceptionally well in my 1-12 twist, 35 Whelen built on a 98 Mauser action. The NOE 360-230 RD and NOE 360-310 FN (35 Thumper). Both feed "slick as a bean"! I cant imagine any animal shrugging either bullet off and would expect full penetration.
    A deplorable that votes!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Seating depth can have a big affect on how they chamber.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I have a NOE 280G RN mold that I like allot in my Whelen..

NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw