Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Networking Works --- Another Wheel Weight Score

Boolit Grand Master

Networking Works --- Another Wheel Weight Score

I just found a 3 gallon bucket of wheel weights by my garage door this morning when I got out. I have not tracked down the donor yet but the clue is the bucket! It appears to be a tire lube bucket which means I'll take a couple dozen donuts by the tire store in the morning! I'll sort them as soon as it warms up a little!

Last Summer there was a heaping full bucket of weights sitting in the same place. It took me longer to find that donor. It turns out that the parts store guy dropped them off. I went in looking for an "O" ring a few years ago and the guy recognized my Lyman 450 sizer for what it was and offered up a bucket of weights left over from when he shot Bullseye. This was a nice score, weights old enough to not have zinc or iron mixed in.

Like I have posted before, networking works! Maybe not immediately, but it works. Tell everyone you know that you need lead. Friends, Family, coworkers, any of them can surprise you.

Boolit Master
    I've got nearly every building contractor in the area giving me scrap lead sheathing from old cabins. Used to be that I was short of "pure", not anymore. It will be here long after I'm gone.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    I spent 3hrs today servicing the boiler of the son of the largest scrap metal yard in a county with a population of 1 million. They move a lot of metal and he said he'd keep a look out for any bullets coming it. I didn't get into it too much with him. After I get to know him a little more we can work on lead and alloys.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I spent 3hrs today servicing the boiler of the son of the largest scrap metal yard in a county with a population of 1 million. They move a lot of metal and he said he'd keep a look out for any bullets coming it. I didn't get into it too much with him. After I get to know him a little more we can work on lead and alloys.
    I hope it works out to be a good source for you.

Boolit Grand Master

Well I got out this morning and took some donuts by the tire store. The owner, a young fellow, has been asking me what I did with them. So I remembered to pick up a freshly cast boolit to show him. He was impressed that something that clean could come from a nasty bucket of weights! I buy all of my tires from him and he also services both of my vehicles so the donuts maybe were not necessary. But its always nice to promote Good Will and the guys were appreciative.

On another note, I got wet while I was out so I decided to go ahead and sort them. The lead yield may be down a little, at about 60-65% lead. I'm seeing a shift away from zinc which I see as a good thing. More steel and composite which are easier to pick out and less damaging if I miss one. Ended up with less than a pound of Zinc. I know most of the guys there and they put less junk in the bucket since they know I want them.

I think this little score put me up to having enough weights for a smelt! I do batches of about 350 pounds, or so. I'll post up some pictures when I do. If Spring will just come on!

Boolit Buddy
    Your network is working well, keep it up and good for you.