Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: 7.35 carcano sporter

Boolit Master

7.35 carcano sporter

I am looking at a Terni short rifle that is in the 7.35 carcano chambering. If I can get it for the $99 auction price I may go for it. What are some impressions or problems that I could anticipate encountering with this rifle? I realize it is an >. 300 nominal bore and had gain twist rifling and needs those enbloc clips to function, what else is there to be concerned about? It is a cool, handy looking little rifle.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    IIRC the gain twist was only used in the 6.5, yours should be a standard twist, but check as my memory isn't what it used to be,

Boolit Master

I believe I have Lyman 310 dies for that.
    That could send you on a trip down the 310 rabbit hole!

Pretty sure Rich/WIS is correct about the 7.35 mm version having standard rifling. You've about got it covered on what to expect. The clips are available here and there, now and then, but getting a bit expensive. A good way to keep from losing them in the tall grass and/or get by with just a couple of them is to put a piece of tape over the bottom of the magazine well where they drop out after the last shot. Their safety is a bit awkward, as it requires a push with the thumb and turning. The rear sights on most of the 7.35 mm version was a fixed notch. It is quite a deep notch, and elevation was how high or low in the notch you held the front sight. Most guys that have never shot one before complain that they shoot very high, but you have to hold the front sight at the bottom of the notch. Takes a bit of getting used to, unless you scope it. the true .30 cal. bullets are also available here and there, sometimes a bit hard to find, so it is a good one to cast for. None of this is really a negative. When I was a teenager there were many thousands of these rifles sold at very cheap prices, cheap even for then, and they were the first deer rifle for many young hunters. They did the job, and still will. For $99 I don't believe I'd pass it up.

Boolit Master

I can only do one rabbit hole at a time these days. I have found that light loads often will shoot to point of aim at short range on rifles with battle sights that are sighted to 200/300 meters with standard ammo.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    BUffalo Arms has the bullet heads if you decide to go that route.

Boolit Master
    Lyman used to make the 300136 150 grain mold for it, might have to hit E-bay. Dies, brass and bullet are listed as available at Grafs, probably other places. As posted above saw these when I was a kid as they were cheap, often bring backs. Norma did import ammo at one time, Privi may still do so.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I believe I have Lyman 310 dies for that.
    That could send you on a trip down the 310 rabbit hole!
    BM don't know if you still have them, but you did have a set of new dies. I know!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by kywoodwrkr; 02-22-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Shifted on BM abd went Bold!!!

Boolit Master

Well the auction got crazy so I passed on the rifle. It saves me from having to explain why I needed a new rifle.

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    frkelly74,

In 1958, I was age 13 and my mother bought me my first deer rifle for $13.88 at the local gun shop. It was a Terni M38 7.35MM which still reposes in my vault. It was my first military surplus rifle, and at age 13, I did not know better. Many more, and better, Mausers, Enfields, Springfields, etc., have entered my life since that first gun.

As a boat anchor, I opt for the 7.35MM. As a shooter, I would wonder why anyone would waste their time, effort and money on such an arm? I guess, "to each his own." My twin brother bought a MkIII that same day for $13.88 and he got the better deal, in my humble opinion. I bought a MkIII the next year and never looked back!

Adam

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I had a 6.5 carcano years back i always thought these rifles got a bad rap. Mine shot remarkably good.

Boolit Bub
    Nice little rifle, had a couple years ago...only shot surplus ammo through them,no problems

Boolit Master
    My uncle gave me one he won on a punch board. I had it for about 10 years before I managed to find some ammo for it (pre-internet) and got to shoot it about 10 times before it was unfortunately stolen. I miss the Glenfield 60 that was also stolen that day much more.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    I have several Carcanos and the ones that I have shot all worked fine. The first one, a carbine, I got was when I was a teenager and I used it as a truck gun as I was working on a farm and ranch that summer. I shot three coyotes with it too. A gunsmith had a side mount for a scope that fit on it. So he drilled and tapped it for the mount and it worked out quite well for me. The others I got when they were being sold for five guns all for the price of $99.99 at the time. I had visions of converting some to other calibers like 7.62x39 etc. I did also get a couple of the 7.92x57mm versions from Turkey maybe. The guns are in pretty decent condition with good bores. I might get around to brutalizing my shoulder with one sometime. The little carbine ought to be a terror with 8mm rounds. A lot of people bad mouth the things and the guns are not all that popular. I think that the guns are better than people are making them out to be. But the caveat is that the guns are like the 1893 Mausers in that if a primer is ruptured or a case ruptures, the gasses could spray back into your face. So that would be the issue with them. The bolt lugs are as large as those on the Mauser bolts. Anyway, back in WWII the Germans would not have been converting some to shoot their 8mm ammo if the things were dangerous. Nor would the Middle Eastern countries had been getting them converted to 8mm after WWII either if it was. Or the Greeks getting them converted to shoot their ammo as well, But it would be wise to check the headspace though. I ran across a interesting tidbit a while ago, apparently the Italian armorers quit bothering to check headspace on the guns they were working on as the bolts and barrels/receivers didn't vary enough to change the headspace. But in wartime they may have just been cutting corners to get rifles out to their troops.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-09-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo

That's an interesting post, Earlwb. I also have several Carcanos including one of the 8mm carbines. I refinished it, but didn't do any sporterizing to it, as it is short and pretty handy as is. Unless there have been further developments though, it is handicapped by being a single shot, as no 8mm clips are available. I've seen some U-tube stuff on converting the 6.5/7.35mm clips to accept 8x57mm cartridges, but none of them seem too good.
    Have also heard rumors that this or that person was going to start making them commercially, but it never seems to happen. I have fired mine with about .30-30 Win. level loads, and it was accurate and fun to shoot, but as a single shot.

Attachment 239562

click to enlarge.

DG

Boolit Master
    Yes the little carbines are surely a super nice small handy size. I plan on making a wood block insert for one of my 8mm carbines later. Yes they are single shot rifles. But then with the old 1883 Gewyr rifles, when they converted them to the "S" type 8mm ammunition they made some kind of a metal insert that did away with the magazine clips. Maybe something like it could be done for the Carcanos too. I need to study that more.
    Mine with a scope on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carcano_F__scope_02a.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	239567

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carcano_F__scope_01a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	239568

Boolit Master
    I feel some love for these neat actions (guns). I have a few and they are as good as military gets and give the cleanest triggers when worked on. I have one in 35 rem, x39 and 6.5 jap. I hope the naysayers keep on spouting their indifferance and keep these cheap for guys like me. It is neat to build 6 pound guns out of them. I need to rebarrel one to a 225 win but I have too many projects and not enough cash at moment!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    The carcano cartridge resized in a 225 is a neat trick. Just cut some of the loong neck off and good to go.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've owned ONE Carcano in my life..........a 6.5 carbine, purchased through the mail for $14.95 plus $1.50 shipping (WAY before GCA'68). What a deal! What I got was a very badly worn and shot out specimen, complete with a lovely "patina"....rust all over. JFK was shot only a week later with the same model and I GAVE the gun away.

However these little rifles got an unfair and bad rap over the years, not because of quality but because they weren't easily adapted to a scope! While everyone else was using 1903's and Mausers as the basis for sporters, no one wanted a Carcano. It's a shame, because the Carcanos were designed in 1891 and in step with every other military rifle in the world at that time. The Italians simply never bothered to improve the gun as time went on, but that doesn't mean they're junk by a long shot. Nope....they're a handy, hard hitting little rifle if you do your part!