Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Gotta get one-Not.

Gotta get one-Not.

The new issue of American Hunter has a test of the Franklin Armory F17L; a .17 WSM AR15 variant. It shot lead free ammo well, normal ammo 1.5" @ 100yds. Not as accurate as your normal Savage / Marlin .17HMR . List is $2070! If I was rich I still wouldn't buy one. This will certainly help the .17WSM catch on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    It amazes me that everybody tries to fill niches that don't exist.

Boolit Master
    Um, yeah. If I was in their target market they missed badly!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

From the videos that I watched, the gun is capable and functions flawlessly as intended.
    It sure beats an air rifle by a country mile.
    There were shots made in this varminter dot com video up to 261 yards.--->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV6Fo2g6dEA
    It's a semi-auto rimfire and not a bolt action .17 centerfire.

If one of these guns happened to be dropped into my lap I wouldn't throw it away.
    To deny that money is an object seems to be an admission that most of us make choices that are often based on how much of it that we have to play with,
    not to mention one's own personal preferences.
    $2000 to some folks is like chump change.
    Some people spend more than that on a flintlock.
    I never saw this rifle before, or know much of anything about the cartridge, but it's clear to see that it works.
    And I'm not much of a fan of the AR platform either.
    But I admire the rifle for what the videos have shown that it can do, and for how well it's built.
    Of course any 20 grain rimfire bullet is going to be affected by the wind and have some shortcomings.
    But I can't say that any other rimfire round or semi-auto rifle can accomplish what this Franklin Armory F17L can either.
    It's a total package, take it or leave it.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    I like to learn about what's new on the market.
    I'll bet that for some people this new rifle is the cat's meow!
    Especially if they live out in the wide open spaces and have enough cash to spend.
    Where else but in the USA do common citizens have so many choices about which guns they can spend their money on and what they can do with them.
    Way to go Franklin Armory for showing the world that America still has a gun industry left.
    Building innovative guns & inventing new ammo are all part of supporting the 2A!
    Last edited by arcticap; 02-22-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Different opinions are what makes a horse race! I don't begrudge anyone buying anything and I celebrate our freedom to do so. I simply pointed out that I will pass on this just like I pass on Desert Eagles, 45-70 revolvers, WSMs,.50 BMG rifles, and others. Besides- a .17 Remington AR15 would leave it in the dust for less than half the cost. Just because I have no use for a gun means nothing. It doesn't mean I won't fight tooth and nail for the right to own it.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    It amazes me that everybody tries to fill niches that don't exist.
    One of the best ways to get rich in our society is to invent, provide,
    and market a solution for a problem people didn't know they had.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Todays guns, for the most part, are all part of a marketing scheme. Make a gun/caliber that is new, no matter what it is made for. Todays guns, are the best shooting, cheapest rifles we have ever had, the Savage Axis and the Ruger Amercian are prime examples, of guns that shoot great, cost little. But sadly, these guns will never gain any value, only go down in price, compared to the Marlins, Winchester, Brownings, Pedersoli's that are blue steel, case hadened recievers, and walnut stocks.

What I learned in this article is that the .17 WSM is based on Winchester's .27 caliber nail gun blank.--->>> http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...r-mag-rimfire/

"...This new .17 Win Super Mag is derived from Winchester’s .27-cal nail gun blank, necked down to .17-caliber and strengthened with a thicker head and stronger case-walls.
    With case-walls that are 50% thicker than those on 17 HMR cartridges, the .17 Win Super Mag can operate at 33,000 psi. By contrast, the 17 HMR maxes out at 26,000 psi...."

And

"...While the 17 HMR shoots delightfully flat, the 17 Win Super Mag shoots two times flatter and drifts only half as far in the wind.
    Its 20-grain bullets retain more than twice as much downrange energy, and its 25-grain projectiles nearly triple the energy of the 17-grain V-Max in the HMR load...”

It would have been nice if the .17 WSM was invented before all of the other .17's came out.
    But it seems to be the natural progression of product developement for companies to continually strive to improve upon products already on the market.

That has happened with just about every technological product in existence.
    The main difference now being that the advancements are coming at a much faster rate which makes people tired of another
    new product being introduced so soon after the previous one, instead of being excited for the improvement that the newer product actually is.

Some of us are perfectly happy with the old products, while others welcome the new products with open arms and feel lucky to have the opportunity to enjoy them.
    Last edited by arcticap; 02-23-2019 at 02:08 PM.

The one .17 WSM I've shot was a Savage Bmag. Ugly looking and the best I could get from it was 2" at 100 yds. That's not good enough for varmint shooting. In comparison every .17HMR I've shot(Savage & Marlin) were sub moa at 100 yds. I'm thinking the HMR is entrenched and the WSM won't catch on with the Bmag on the bottom and the Franklin on the top and nothing in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The one .17 WSM I've shot was a Savage Bmag. Ugly looking and the best I could get from it was 2" at 100 yds. That's not good enough for varmint shooting. In comparison every .17HMR I've shot(Savage & Marlin) were sub moa at 100 yds. I'm thinking the HMR is entrenched and the WSM won't catch on with the Bmag on the bottom and the Franklin on the top and nothing in between.
    I believe you.
    This reviewer mentioned that the Savage stock had bedding problems until they fixed it.
    Then he proceeded to shoot under 1 MOA at 100 yards with 2 different ammos in the wind, and also split 2 playing cards at the end.--->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkmFdkDW-ZA&app=desktop

This casual shooter hit a 4"x 4" plate at 180 yards with one shot:--->>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zv2z8TyTE0&app=desktop

I know how finicky that rimfire can be. I know a .22LR match shooter who shoots an Anschutz with $$$ per box ammo, and he still needs to use a barrel tuner to be competitive.
    And that ammo and rifle are among the best in the world.
    His gun needs the ammo to travel a precise feet per second to perform where he has his tuner set at and that's how he purchases his ammo, by its lot tested FPS from the factory.
    Bedding and torquing screws, using the most high power scopes, super light triggers and using barrel tuners are what folks do to wring the most accuracy from their rimfire target guns.
    And they're still lobbing the bullets into the bullseye at 100 yards while gauging the wind.
    And here we're only talking about a stock hunting rifle and ammo.

The video reviewer mentions that in some places only rimfire ammo can be used on certain hunting lands, and the .17 WSM allows the most distance possible for a rimfire hunting round.
    It provides a niche for some people, and it's not for everyone.

I know when my kid was doing junior smallbore shooting, we would watch the groups from his rifle climb as he took his warm up shots.
    Virtually everyone's bullet impacts do walk up the target as their barrel warms up prior to shooting a match.
    Most people can't even shoot 1 MOA accuracy in the field without some kind of rest or bipod.
    It all becomes academic in the end instead of just being happy bringing home some bacon after a hunt.
    It's a different kind of hunting and target shooting than I'm used to.
    But for some guys, they have fun no matter what they're shooting at or with.
    We don't have as many varminting opportunites where I live as folks do in some places.
    It doesn't really make any difference to me whether the round ends up being a success or not.
    But I can imagine that it's going to survive for a while.
    Gun people are going to keep buying new guns just like the stock brokers will keep buying stocks on the New York Stock Exchange.
    Last edited by arcticap; 02-24-2019 at 05:31 AM.

If this is derived from a nail-gun blank, that must be one heckuva nailgun. The .17 HMR case is five times the length of normal nail-gun charges. I do have a use for 'em. Pull the bullet, dump the powder, and the primed case can be reformed to make a passable .25 Stevens Long rimfire.
    Cognitive Dissident

With our stupid Canadian gun laws I can see a market for it here , a centre fire semi auto is limited to 5 rounds but no limit on rim fires ,