WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MP Molds 450BM- C- 275 grain (Cast) for 450 Bushmaster/ 45 Colt/ 454 Casull

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Taper only or they won’t feed in my American. I taper at .474”

I'm A Honcho!
    Two different crimp grooves for two different purposes. I think we are in stride agreeing to disagree.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master

The 450bushmaseter head spaces off case mouth. So either a “custom jab crimp” or a taper is all you CAN DO. I haven’t had any issues with just taper crimping.

IMHO people get all too hung up on crimping in general. Crimpings IS NOT neck tension.

I use a Lyman M-die and find improved accuracy overall loading this cartridge.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    The 450bushmaseter head spaces off case mouth. So either a “custom jab crimp” or a taper is all you CAN DO. I have t had any issues with taper crimps.

IMHO people get all too hung up on crimping in general. Crimpings IS NOT neck tension.

I use a Lyman Mdie and find improved accuracy overall loading this cartridge.

CW
    It's advertised as a 454 casull bullet, also. But you probably don't need to crimp that either?
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by tradbear55 View Post
    It's advertised as a 454 casull bullet, also. But you probably don't need to crimp that either?
    Collett crimp is the strongest and most consistent period. Hard to over or under do that one.Wont roll a crimp. perfect for boolits without crimp grooves.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

I'm A Honcho!
    In this instance I would say you are correct. Lee DOES NOT make a Collett Crimp die for 454. I sent them an inquiry as to why. Cost would be 25.00 plus shipping. They make it for 460SW and 45 COlt...Even 500 SW but wont even offer it out of the custom shop for the 454. I am a rookie reloader and it cut my groups in half and lowered all of my SDs.

All fixed up gents...
    Last edited by bluejay75; 02-21-2019 at 07:13 PM.

I forgot to put lube grooves in my order. Sorry. I agree that the collet crimp is probably the best thing that Lee offers to reloaders. Unfortunately, they are not available in all of the calibers.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

Boolit Master
    So I take it that this might not be okay for a 454 Casull in a lever-action or the 315gr one for the 450Bushmaster?
    No crimp groove???
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Quote Originally Posted by no34570 View Post
    So I take it that this might not be okay for a 454 Casull in a lever-action or the 315gr one for the 450Bushmaster?
    No crimp groove???
    This boolit’s nose is tapered and has rounded edges so it should feed much better than others lve seen for the 450BS. IMO it will work great but I’d tell you to get crimp grooves.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    This boolit’s nose is tapered and has rounded edges so it should feed much better than others lve seen for the 450BS. IMO it will work great but I’d tell you to get crimp grooves.
    Yeah,bugger would have been a good one
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master

Understood...Not being a prick, but as listed/described/explained this is a 450 Bushmaster bullet that can work in a 45/454/460...

Like most folks, I DO prefer to heavily crimp most J-Bullets in the 45/454/460 too. But lead bullets, I find better results with minor taper crimping. (all calibers)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I'm A Honcho!
    Im going to post this in the equipment thread...but here goes.

I was told by Lee to have as many people as I could to contact them to run the 454 Casull as a Collett Crimp and they would offer it as a standard offering. My point was that there are more 454 shooters than probably 460 and 500 SW shooters combined.

Laine
    Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    phone: 262-673-3075
    fax: 262-673-9273

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Im going to post this in the equipment thread...but here goes.

I was told by Lee to have as many people as I could to contact them to run the 454 Casull as a Collett Crimp and they would offer it as a standard offering. My point was that there are more 454 shooters than probably 460 and 500 SW shooters combined.

Laine
    Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027
    phone: 262-673-3075
    fax: 262-673-9273
    Hey bluejay75
    Does that number get Laine?
    I would have to ring from Australia.
    Cheers

no34570

Banner Sponsor

I bought a 460 S&W collet crimp die and just cut it down to fit the 454. I then took some number stamps and marked it 454.
    Works great.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    I bought a 460 S&W collet crimp die and just cut it down to fit the 454. I then took some number stamps and marked it 454.
    Works great.
    Can you share what you cut. Maybe post steps in reloading tools.

Banner Sponsor

This is what I did to cut down a 460S&W factory crimp die to fit the 454 Casull.

Screw your 460 die partway into a press. take a punch and a small hammer to tap the collet insert out of the die body. Go easy and don't break anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee-fcd-01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	236642

Once they are apart, take a sharpie and mark the die body at 2.000", mark the collet at 1.285".
    Cut them off with a hacksaw, dremel, lathe, anything that can make a nice clean cut.
    Be sure to cut the collet a little long, so you can fine tune it to get the crimp where you want it. Mine is finished up at 1.285"
    Be sure to debur your cuts.

Name:	lee-fcd-02.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	236643

I took a set of number punches and marked the collet 454.
    Clean everything up and slide the collet back into the body and give it a try.
    Let me know if anything is not clear.

Name:	lee-fcd-03.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	236644

Here's a link to the 450 Bushmaster forum where they are talking about modifying Lee FCDs to do a Legendre side crimp to help hold cast bullets firmly in the case.
    Lots of pics and step by step instructions.
    http://www.450bushmaster.com/viewtop...5&t=685&p=4564
    Last edited by lar45; 02-24-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Boolit Master
    Apparently Lee say to use the 45colt/454 FCD,what say all you?
    Cheers

no34570

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by no34570 View Post
    Apparently Lee say to use the 45colt/454 FCD,what say all you?
    That is a completely different crimping die. That one has the carbide sizer at the bottom to make sure your loaded rounds will chamber.
    The one that we're talking about is the Collet style crimp die.
    Here's a pic of the Collet

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    That is a completely different crimping die. That one has the carbide sizer at the bottom to make sure your loaded rounds will chamber.
    The one that we're talking about is the Collet style crimp die.
    Here's a pic of the Collet
    Hey Lar45
    Thanks for enlightening me,I thought it was the FCD die and thanks for posting how to modify the die,I might have to do that and then might be able to get the mold,winner winner.
    Cheers

no34570

I threw some links out on a couple different websites to try and get some more orders for this mold. Was hoping we get this one going and mold in hands soon!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast