Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25 Stevens

Boolit Master
    Late in this thread, but I relocated the table of PTL Blank Coding and Ratings.
    So here it is as copied:
    "I repeat the Color code below copied from another post:"
    "In brass casing:
    Color-coding (Velocity)
    (1)- Grey 315 ft/s (96 m/s)1.31 grains propellant
    (2)- Brown 385 ft/s (117 m/s)
    (3)- Green 490 ft/s (150 m/s)
    (4)- Yellow 575 ft/s (175 m/s)
    (5)- Red 675 ft/s (206 m/s)
    (6)- Purple 755 ft/s (230 m/s)

In nickel (silver) casings:
    (7)- Grey 845 ft/s (258 m/s)
    (8)- Brown 935 ft/s (285 m/s)
    (9)- Green 1,025 ft/s (312 m/s)
    (10)- Yellow 1,115 ft/s (340 m/s)
    (11)- Red 1,205 ft/s (367 m/s)
    (12)- Purple 1,295 ft/s (395 m/s)"
    I have also run across a Brass cased Blue coded Load but do not remember where I saw it or what it's relative Power level was."
    The Propellant measurement was added later, and was measured on a Balance Beam type Powder Scale.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 04-10-2019 at 01:56 PM.

I was let to believe that it was far more practical to convert the Stevens rifle to center-fire using modified 5.7x28 FN brass blown out to use bullets made for the 25-20, than to try using ANCIENT collector cartridges, purchased at collector cartridges prices.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    I was let to believe that it was far more practical to convert the Stevens rifle to center-fire using modified 5.7x28 FN brass blown out to use bullets made for the 25-20, than to try using ANCIENT collector cartridges, purchased at collector cartridges prices.
    Little more to it than that. The 5.7x28 base diameter is nominally .315, so it has to be swaged down to .277 or so, then machined to leave a rim. Better to start with .22 Hornet, which needs less swaging and leaves a better rim.

The only factory ammo left that reliably goes bang is Canuck, which is indeed selling for about $80 on Gunbroker. Been watching that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Back in 60s & 70s went up to Canada at least twice a year. Always hit the Ma & Paw stores & gas stations off the
    beaten track for obsolete Canuck ammo. Even started bootlegging 22 ammo for trade stock. Those days are gone. Still have 25Stevens & 32 RF from back then.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    AllanD,
    Converting ether 5.7x28mm or .22 Hornet Brass into suitable Parent Cases for .25 Stevens is Doable in a Typical Single Stage "O" frame Reloading Press with the proper tooling.

Generally:
    A. You will need to support the Primer Pocket with a suitable punch during the swaging process.
    B. You will need dies to swage the case Body in, most useful are ones of .300", .290", .284", and .278" diameters with a smooth radius and tapered mouth (I use Special ordered, "Opened" Lee Carbide Ring .25ACP Sizing Dies).
    C. You will need to expand the neck and shoulders out to fit .251" bullets, I find this easyist with a custom made expander punch fitted into a Lee Universal Expander Die body.
    D. You may find useful a Final 'shearing Die' made from a broken sizing die body and a Hornady Neck Sizing Bushing of .277" diameter. (install the bushing in the die body with the Sharp edge toward the Mouth of the die).
    NOTE: The Bushing should be retained so as to allow using a Pin Punch from the top of the die to 'knock out' the case after forming.

Properly Done, cases may be swaged full length, to the top of the rim, leaving a small ring or roll of displaced brass on top of the existing rim. This excess material may be removed by Lathe turning or by careful hand work with a Sharp knife blade and the fingers.

After forming is completed the resulting parent cases will need to be trimmed to finished length. For .25 Stevens equivalent, that would be 1.124"-1.125" Case length.

Chev. William

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12