Thread: Help With a TC .50 cal Rifle

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    My wife says, " You are Not McGyver "
    "You are the guy that McGyver Wants to be"
    Yup sounds like home.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Watcher, where are you located? Maybe someone is close by that can help you with this. I could have it out in 20 min if you were close to me.
    Am down in the Ozarks.

@Pietro
    Are those T C breechplug removal wrenches still available.
    I had one back in the late 70's, but lost it in several moves.
    Where can I find one ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Breech-Plug...-/283328539773

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Thanks Pietro
    One is ordered already

change out the nipple? Had a buddy with a Hawken he put one of the flame thrower nipples on the hammer wouldn't fall far enough to hit the cap correctly. It cost him two elk and a deer before we found the problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hoyt has done a few of my barrels. A couple 50's to .54 and one sidelock .50 to a rifled .60. Fantastic. Being able to choose the rate of twist makes all the difference in the world. For the OP, that would remove any corrosion damage or other damage that might have occurred with whatever is causing the issue. You'd end up with a clean, newish barrel with your choice of rifling twist and no mystery ghosts down there.

I don't usually seek others to fix my problems, but sometimes it's just what the Doctor ordered. I wouldn't trade any of my re-cut barrels for anything. They are that good.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tc breech plug.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	236939 This what I found in the opening in the breech plug. The previous owner or someone had a brass brush rammed into the opening on the face of the breech plug and broken off. Then a charge of powder then a ball about 2 inchs in front of the broken off brush. I bought this at an estate sale, tried to fire it twice. Pulled my ball and charge 2x and began investigating. I tried all the various tricks and in the end removed the breech plug. I made my own tool out of an old impact socket, cut a slot in it for the nipple area, and out she came along with the ball and the broken brush. Taught me a big lesson. And thanks for all the patience and good advice.
    Last edited by Watcher; 02-26-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Glad we could all be of some help.
    If not for your particular situation, but the discussions may have given others Options on how to Troubleshoot a Problem, or options on how to Fix a similar issue.
    That is what is so great about this Forum and the Black Powder / Muzzleloader threads.

Now; What is your Next Step ?
    How does the rifling look now that you can see things better ?

Boolit Master
    wow that's a mess, glad you were able to pull the breach plug and figure out the problem. Guess heating the barrel would of been a waste of time after seeing what the problem was. Clean it up, put it back together and shoot it just so you can say you resurrected the old girl.

Boolit Bub
    Glad we could all be of some help.
    If not for your particular situation, but the discussions may have given others Options on how to Troubleshoot a Problem, or options on how to Fix a similar issue.
    That is what is so great about this Forum and the Black Powder / Muzzleloader threads.

Now; What is your Next Step ?
    How does the rifling look now that you can see things better ?
    Well I only just got it apart before supper time. So tomorrow I am going to clean the bore real good and have a look see, if there is any other damage. And of course get this brush out of the breech plug and reassemble. For sure when she is clean and complete I will want to shoot her for sure. Thanks so much to everyone for the advice.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    wow that's a mess, glad you were able to pull the breach plug and figure out the problem. Guess heating the barrel would of been a waste of time after seeing what the problem was. Clean it up, put it back together and shoot it just so you can say you resurrected the old girl.
    None of this was a waste of time. I learned a lot from all you guys and appreciate all your help.

Boolit Master
    Glad to know ya finally got er figured out & working on any things ya might want to do to it before shooting!

Then get it out & SHOOT!,

then let us know how it works for ya!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow. Good for you. What a mess down there. I, for one, sure want to know how it shoots when you get it back together. Well done

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Glad to know ya finally got er figured out & working on any things ya might want to do to it before shooting!

Then get it out & SHOOT!,

then let us know how it works for ya!
    Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Wow. Good for you. What a mess down there. I, for one, sure want to know how it shoots when you get it back together. Well done
    Will do, for sure I will shoot her.

Boolit Bub
    My Old Veteran neighbor, Mr. Verlin, said your a very lucky boy that thing never fired. I am over 70 and he is almost 80, he still calls me boy tho….Ha ha ha.

Boolit Master
    Watcher.
    Please post a picture of your Modified Impact Socket.
    That may be another option to some here on the thread.
    Sounds like one of your McGuyver moments

Boolit Master
    Watcher.
    Please post a picture of your Modified Impact Socket.
    That may be another option to some here on the thread.
    Sounds like one of your McGuyver moments
    X2 on photos of the modified impact socket.
    I'm glad you were able to fix this muzzleloader. Congratulations!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    At least, it gives you a chance to determine the proper size brush to clean the breech in the future. This is why I dislike patented breeches.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

NEVER use a brush in a muzzleloader! I found out the hard way last year and you just found out why. I'm sorry that I didn't see this thread earlier; I could have raised that scenario. The outcome would be the same, though. Ramrod measurement against the outside of the barrel is mandatory and "pinging" a steel rod inside the barrel is better still on a used ML.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast