Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help With a TC .50 cal Rifle

Boolit Bub

Help With a TC .50 cal Rifle

I have kind of tried all the tricks I know, and exhausted the local advice as well. But I can not get this rifle to fire. I washed it with hot water and dried it out, I have cleaned the nipple hole, installed new recommended nipple, and am using the recommended cap. Tested the powder. But can not get it to fire. I picked this gun up cheap at an auction and can not figure out if I am doing something wrong or something else is wrong with the design. I even thought of modifying the nipple hole. Any suggestions. I use the same procedures on the tc .50 cal smooth bore and it fires every time. Thanks

Can you blow air through the nipple?

It sounds like a blockage in the flash hole.

Stick a cotton ball at the end of the barrel and try and blow it out through the nipple.

If you have a air compressor use that or a can of compressed air.

If that doesn't work take the nipple off and shine a light in I? Look down the barrel can you see light?

If not take to someone who has a bore scope and see what the blockage is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Ditto on the above post. Also is it possible that the previous owner forgot to put a powder charge in and just seated a round ball or maxi ball and then just decided it was too much trouble to get it out and sold it that way? I've come across individuals that accidently seated a ball first and didn't realize it until it was too late and I had to pull the patched round ball for them. May be worth running a ball puller down the barrel. Pretty easy to tell if it's hitting metal or lead.

Boolit Bub
    I have run a wire through the nipple hole, and even dry fired a percussion cap and held the barrel to some dry grass and it blew the grass. I did not try the light trick, but blew the hole out with compressed air as well through the end of barrel and got air out the hole. I am at a loss here.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DW475 View Post
    Ditto on the above post. Also is it possible that the previous owner forgot to put a powder charge in and just seated a round ball or maxi ball and then just decided it was too much trouble to get it out and sold it that way? I've come across individuals that accidently seated a ball first and didn't realize it until it was too late and I had to pull the patched round ball for them. May be worth running a ball puller down the barrel. Pretty easy to tell if it's hitting metal or lead.
    I tried that as well no luck nothing down there. When I first tried to shoot it I had to pull my own ball and charge when it did not fire. Could it be the wrong size nipple hole, but I have to ask myself how is that possible. Or is the hole to long, I even poured a little fine powder down the hole, primed the hole screwed the nipple back in and tried that with no luck.

Boolit Grand Master

What are you using for a cap and powder? Pellets of any kind will not work. Blackhorn 209 will not work. Pyrodex and 777 have been known to be so-so with weak caps, but should at least light. If nothing else, take the nipple out, and trickle as much powder in as you can, then reinstall the nipple. That will guarantee you will at least have some ignition. I've had nothing but good results with standard CCI #11 caps and Goex blackpowder, but after 30 shots or so, often the nipple will become so clogged that it wont fire. I can either clean it, or swap it with a clean nipple. Or if I use a CCI #11 Magnum, it will continue to fire. The Magnum caps really do give you more oomf.

If the cap ignites, the hammer face may be off face, causing little or no spark - but the bore should still be re-checked for a blockage.

To ensure that there's no dry ball down there, there's two ways to check:

A) Blow downbore from the muzzle with a finger just above the opening of the un-capped nipple - if you feel your breath on the finger, the bore & ignition cannel is clear.

B) Another way to check is to:

1) Run a .22cal cleaning rod downbore from the muzzle until it stops, then mark the rod where it emerges from the muzzle.

2) Lay the marked cleaning rod alongside the barrel with the mark at the muzzle, and determine where the tip end is near the rear of the barrel/tang's visible joint.

If the rear tip of the rod falls short of the joint, there's most likely something in there that's blocking the passage(s).

If it's not clear, you can blow out whatever's blocking with a shot of compressed air through the nipple.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I had a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 that liked to misfire often. What I would do when that happened was to remove the nipple and dribble a few grains of 4F down into the drum, and try it with a new cap. That normally worked. I ended up installing a musket cap nipple, and that seemed to cure it's reluctance to fire. You could also try deburring, or 'porting and polishing' the cleanout screw hole and the threaded hole for the nipple.

At one time I considered drilling the cleanout screw hole to a larger diameter and threading it for a larger screw. I ultimately did not go that far, and it doesn't seem to be necessary in retrospect.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some powders are hard to light, as mentioned above. Excessive oil contamination deadens powder. Hammer / nipple symmetry needs to be flat to get good cap function. How's the path between the nipple and the chamber clean & free of contaminates? How's the nipple orifice? Old and wide open nipple holes don't work real good. Again, as mentioned above, measure the barrel vs the interior of the barrel to ensure no dry balls down there. If it's clear of other items in the bore, I'd try some real black powder to see it that will light. I'd first pull the barrel and dunk the nipple end in a bucket of hot water w/ dish soap and plunge a rod + tight patch in & out to flush the entire barrel / bolster / nipple to clean out unseen gremlins. Once dry. just try again. This one is interesting for us and must be frustrating for you. Good luck.

Boolit Bub
    I did clean the nipple hole right into the chamber. I did trickle powder into the nipple hole and reinstall the recommended size nipple and used the recommended #11 cap. I did not try the magnum #11 Cap.

Boolit Bub
    I did all of these things that you mentioned. I used compressed air and blew down the barrel and got air through the nipple, then I removed the nipple and blew air through the flash hole into the barrel. In both cases I felt the air come out. Thanks for your help

Boolit Bub
    I did remove the nipple and trickle fine grade black power into the hole and replace the nipple and install a new cap and still no ignition. I was thinking about drilling the flasj hole larger but was not sure about doing that, I can find no specs on flash hole diameter to see if this rifle is built to spec. Maybe I could install a spark plug from my old JD. ha ha ha Thanks

Boolit Master
    Is this a stock T/C barrel or an aftermarket? If aftermarket, the ball may be blocking the flame from the cap. The breech plug may have a weird hole in it. How much real black powder are you using? Ever try switching the barrel from a known good firing gun? Was the patent breech modified? Hope this helps.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Bub
    Another possible problem is the powder chamber needs scraping out. TC makes a rounded scraper for their chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drago9900 View Post
    Another possible problem is the powder chamber needs scraping out. TC makes a rounded scraper for their chambers.
    I agree! I clean my T/C barrels using a good brass brush with brass core (Pro Shot brand) then I clean the breach plug (powder chamber) with a smaller Pro Shot .30 caliber brush to get in there good. The scraper is a good idea too! Good luck!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

You mentioned that it's not firing, but didn't say if the cap ignited - did it ?

Another thing to check on some T/C's is for a missing cleanout screw in the side of the snail - if it's gone walkabout, the flame from the cap ignition will just squirt out the side ILO into the powder chamber.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I have yet to hear the identity of the powder being used.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    I did remove the nipple and trickle fine grade black power into the hole and replace the nipple and install a new cap and still no ignition. I was thinking about drilling the flasj hole larger but was not sure about doing that, I can find no specs on flash hole diameter to see if this rifle is built to spec. Maybe I could install a spark plug from my old JD. ha ha ha Thanks
    Then you either...

A: The cap is not going off

B: Your nipple is plugged

C: Using the wrong/bad powder

Maybe you might get a hang fire, but if you pour powder right down the flash channel, you will at least get a poof if anything is coming out the nipple.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    Invest $30.00 in a Magspark ,screws into where the nipple did and allows you to use standard 209 primers ! Everyone stocks 209 s and they are cheaper to buy water proof for hunting and (lots more fire ) Warren out doors is one supplier /Ed

USMC 77, USRA 79

If you have gas, and you have spark, you will have fire
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast