WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shake n bake method help

Boolit Bub

Shake n bake method help

I'm still standing my boolits up and want to get proficient with the shake n bake method. What screen/rack/tubs are you using for snb method? Please Post a picture. SNB would save a lot of time but when I have tried it, the boolits had bare spots where they were touching each other or the rack. People have mentioned not all powders are capable of SNB method. I'm using smokes powder 50%coww 50%soft 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Teknikal; 02-20-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    I made mine from 1/4" hardware cloth. (Box screen) Sized to my oven.

Boolit Master

I've used Smokes powder & Eastwood.

I use a Zip-Lock Brand Container from the Grocery store. I use the flat about 6"x6". It's a #5 in recycle triangle.

I put in 4 tablespoons on 6mm air soft BB's, a teaspoon (max) of powder and 100 38/9mm bullets or 50 odd .44/.45's. Put on lid swirl like crazy for 30seconds to a minute.

Pick out bullets with nitrile gloves. I pick up a bullet and then drop it back into the box from about an inch high to shake off the excess powder.

Then stand up on no stick foil on little cookie sheet.

Pre-Warmed Convection T. O. At 400degrees.

Put cookie sheet in T. O. For 20 minutes.

Take cookie sheet out, set on concrete to cool off for 5 minutes. Dump bullets out on non-stick foil.

The larger bullets will come out of the powder with "nicks" in the coating. This will disappear in the coating process in the T. O.

I usually get about 200-400 bullets per teaspoon, and then you only need to add a big pinch or too, to keep going.

My T. O. Holds 2 trays of bullets. By the time the first 2 trays are done, the next 2 trays are cooled, dumped are refilled and ready to go in the T. O.

The foil can be reused Many times.

The Zip-Lock Containers are cheap. I keep one for every color.

The auto-correct on this tablet is such a "big help" with spelling and grammar.
    Last edited by Walks; 02-21-2019 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Auto-correct
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Well, with shake n bake you can pick em and stand em (my preferred method, something of a perfectionist) or you can SNB and dump. Find Elvis ammo on the you tubes, he does alot of large batch shaking and dumping into a basket, he finds the results passable. Basically a big wire mess tub NYFF357s, dump, shake excess off, bake, smack em around to break em apart and size.

Banned
    You can buy Mesh Drawer Organizer like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XB37JZS...lig_dp_it&th=1
    to bake in.
    PC will stick to any alloy as long as the alloy is clean.
    If you're looking to buy PC, look for gloss or high gloss polyester, these work the best.

Which one of smokes powders are you using? yellow and white always seem to go on thinner/, not as full coverage on one coat than say his blue or red. This is true with practically all the different brands of PC I've tried.

You need a #5 container and BB's that generate static ( if the BB's don't get coated with the PC then they most likely aren't the right material,

IF the humidity is high, it harder to get a good coat ASBBDT. I've found the if you pre-warm the boolits on top on your oven it helps with sticking better. THE BOOLITS should not be any hotter than you can hold bare handed. if the get to hot, put some kind of spacer between the top of the oven and your warming tray.

Cool whip containers work really well

I don't shake the boolits, swirling creates the static. When I'm done swirling I roll the container around slowly coating any areas the might have been bumped before dumping in my sifting bowl where I sift off all the excess PC.

Excess PC will cause the boolits to stick to each other and the surface they are baked on.
    Last edited by Conditor22; 02-21-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have 6 of smokes colors, black, 2 blues, red, orange, 2 greens. I have a large cool whip bowl that works great. The issue I have with the shake,bake and dump method is where the boolits are touching each other or the wire basket, it pulls the coating off and creates a bare spot when I separate the boolits.

Boolit Master
    "it pulls the coating off and creates a bare spot when I separate the boolits."

It has less bare spots if you separate them while they are still hot, right out of the oven.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Banned
    A major cause of sticking is not sifting/getting all the excess PC off the boolits.

alfloyd is right, don't wait too long to separate the boolits after removing them from the oven. I give them 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Some people feel dumping them in a bucket of water (tray and all) works best,

I have not tried the basket method. I do stand up of each bullet. Or a cake cooling rack covered with non-stick aluminum foil. I run a finger along the foil between the bars of the cake cooling rack, this gives me a little trough so the bullet doesn't roll when laid in the trough on it's side.

The side laying down may have a slight "blemish" sometimes but is against the non-stick surface of the foil so it isn't bad and no bare spot. I use a pair of fine, long, needle nose pliers with handles that have a spring that pushes them open. The tips are about like a tweezer but heavier and stronger. If I'm firm but gentle no marks.

The cake cooling racks I use are like these.
    https://www.amazon.com/Good-Cook-Cak...U/ref=sr_1_30?

I ended up cutting the feet off of one side so the rack was tilted down in front, it seemed to make it easier to set bullets in the foil covered rack with it angled toward me a bit. With two racks I load one while the other cooks.

Another using smokes powders.

Those 38 wad cutters would have just been stood on their bases on a cookie sheet covered with a piece of non-stick aluminum foil in my process.
    I guess I'm not shooting enough since I'm able to keep up using a little less productive method. Do have a basket just have not used it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I use wire drawer organizers & stand my bullets up. I use the cartridge tray jig method so I can fill & stand them up in as fast a time as possible. That is 150 9mm & I can get 4 trays in my conv pizza oven.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by alfloyd View Post
    "it pulls the coating off and creates a bare spot when I separate the boolits."

It has less bare spots if you separate them while they are still hot, right out of the oven.

Lafaun
    Will the bare spots cause leading in the barrel? I tried to use hitek, after powder coating for a while, and the coating would flake off and lead the barrel. Removing the lead from the barrel was fun.

In Remembrance

I started doing the shake and bake a while back using harbor freight yellow and I went with the dump them on the tray and bake method. So far any bare spots haven't given me any problems with PC flaking or barrel leading.

Boolit Grand Master

I use basically the same system as Fred, where I PC then place in a plastic cartridge tray and stand on a perforated aluminum pan.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I use wire drawer organizers & stand my bullets up. I use the cartridge tray jig method so I can fill & stand them up in as fast a time as possible. That is 150 9mm & I can get 4 trays in my conv pizza oven.
    Thanks for sharing the cartridge tray jig method. I tried this last night powder coating some Lyman 356242 boolits and it worked great. I have pretty big hands (6'8" 390), so it tends to be difficult to stand the boolits up very close to one another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    A small set of hemostats with the tips of the jaws bent in just a touch are perfect for picking up bullets and placing them on the cook tray. Ive got fairly slim fingers and its a pain to do it with just the fingers, those hemos are a huge help. And they wont knock off PC.

Boolit Master
    I use a SS 1/2 sheet baker's wire cooling rack which fits inside a 1/2 sheet backer's pan. There are 900 H&G #7, 9mm bullets in a pan and 5 pans in a single cook. These are commercial pans and they do get heavy. Note the 1/2 sheet silicone baking mats just fit the pans.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	236564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	236565

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    A small set of hemostats with the tips of the jaws bent in just a touch are perfect for picking up bullets and placing them on the cook tray. Ive got fairly slim fingers and its a pain to do it with just the fingers, those hemos are a huge help. And they wont knock off PC.
    I use large tweezers, works like chop sticks. Dropping them into the tray is fast. I can do 150 in about 10min. Then just invert the whole thing into the basket or tray, perfectly standing bullets. This way I can keep up with the 13-14m cook time & just keep rotating trays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I use a SS 1/2 sheet baker's wire cooling rack which fits inside a 1/2 sheet backer's pan. There are 900 H&G #7, 9mm bullets in a pan and 5 pans in a single cook. These are commercial pans and they do get heavy. Note the 1/2 sheet silicone baking mats just fit the pans.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	236564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	236565
    Do you stand all of those 900 up?!? That looks painful.

Boolit Buddy
    Based on his comment about a half sheet cooling rack, i think he is using something like this set inside his pan....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Do you stand all of those 900 up?!? That looks painful.
    Fred, painful doesn't go far enough to describe it! What you see in the photo is commercial baker's pans that went into my converted PID 30" wall oven. Yes, I placed them all using self locking tweezers, which is the fastest method I have found. I posted this so all you guys would think I was really sharp, but I have to fess up because what you see is not how it started.

What I started out with was 4 aluminum sheet covered wire racks from a new Hamilton & Beach Countertop Toaster Oven. I wanted to break this new oven in because the racks are longer than my old Hamilton Beach Oven and it obviously will hold more. So I loaded them up, almost 700 bullets on a rack, and all 4 racks loaded to the hilt. This was no small feat. Then I turned the oven on and sat back really pleased with my accomplishment and watched as the powder melted and begin to flow.

Then a nightmare for powder coaters, I heard a crash and as I watched through the oven glass. It was reminiscent of the twin towers coming down. As the metal heated the racks flexed under the weight and crashed down one on top of another. Fortunately I had my gloves handy and started dumping out the bullets. Sometimes you get lucky even in complete mess and because the powder had just flowed it had bonded and cooled off quickly allowing me to save the bullets. Unfortunately it was all to do over again, so a lot of time wasted.

Then insult to injury I told my wife of 49 years what happened. Her comment; "Why in the world would you put 60 pounds of bullets in that little oven? Just like my Dad, engineers have to push it and see when it breaks, but he didn't have any common sense either. Did you ruin the oven? I hope you learned something." My reply; " I just wanted to see how many the oven would hold. Your father was a really good guy and had 17 patents, most engineers have none. His only mistake was having 6 daughters, so he never had a moments peace. No, the oven is okay. Yes, I learned the oven will hold it, I just need to rebuild stronger racks." Of course I didn't actually say those things to my wife, I just thought it. After all I am not that stupid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast