Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
PBcastco Lee Precision

Thread: Remington Fieldmaster

Boolit Bub

Remington Fieldmaster

I got a 1965 Remington 572 Fieldmaster that as bad as I hate to Im going to have to put a scope on it. The reciever is milled for mounts and I was looking for imput for a single power scope that wont break the bank .

I had a 572 that was some kind of special model back in 60s. I think it was for a sharp shooter Rem employed for PR. Anyway I had a Weaver K4 on it and had it tuned for shorts. Shot a pot full of squirrels with it. I don't mean I had a one of a kind rifle. I think Rem made several models of their line that were "endorsed" by the guy.
    The Buck skin crepes into my mind but I could be wrong.

They're like whiskey and cigars. Sort of a get what ya pay for industry.

I'd set the budget, then like a Jewish Mother in Law in a nice restaraunt--- read the menu from right to left.

Also, it's easy to find cheap stuff cheap, it takes a little more effort to find good stuff cheap.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Bushnell Sportveiw 4x is a good one for little $.

An inexpensive scope that I have recently looked at that would fit your category is a 4X32 Hawke "Vantage" that can be had new for under $100. It's a 1" scope that appears to have really good glass, decent eye relief, and a "life time" warranty. They are not a well known company over here (from GB), but they have some good reviews and many are designed for air rifles, so they have to be pretty rugged. Of course, the older Weaver's, Bushnell's, etc. may fit the bill; however, most are no longer worked on by their manufacturer's. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    If you liked the little 3/4 tube Redfield , there is a China company making a reproduction that is very nice. I have one on my T-bolt and like it, reliable adjustments and clear. Seems to fit the little 60s 22in a pleasing way as I had a small weaver 4x on it growing up. A Weaver rimfire of current production is a good inexpensive 1 inch scope as well.
    GruBee WolfPup 4x Is the name, seems to be out of stock. So... Weaver 4x28 rimfire would be a good one.
    Tom Frye May be the name of the Remington exhibition shooter , 100,000+ hand thrown blocks with the nylon 66!
    http://www.nylonrifles.com/wp/2013/0...mous-nylon-66/
    Link for those interested, sorry for the divert
    Last edited by rking22; 02-20-2019 at 10:06 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Mold
    I have a silver Simmons 4x32 on mine it came with silver rings.....Mine also a buck skin barrelled with silver feeder tube ....looks good...works ok and I think mine was around 30 bucks Canadian.

Boolit Man
    Howdy- I have just the rig you are looking to end up with- a pre serial number 572 with a recently mounted 3/4 in. tube Redfield 4x scope that must be around the same age. Am fortunate to have gotten the scope rings ( for 3/4 in tube, AND grooved receiver ) with the scope- I imagine they will be tough to find today, as would the scope. IF you can wait out trying to bring it all together, well, good luck. IF you don't have a decade or more to wait to find everything, I'd go for a current manufacture "rimfire" scope ( the little Redfield I have will NOT focus closer than 25 yards , so a whole bunch of casual targets would be tougher to see with the scope than without it at those distances ) A GOOD airgun scope will set you back some $, but if you go TOO cheap, you will have a headache over needing to have your eye positioned just exactly perfectly to use the scope. On my bull barreled 10-22 (and my CZ 452 American .22 Magnum), I have a Burris Compact scope that focuses close enough for me, but was expensive enough. Not sure it's still in production.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for info still have a 70s era Redfield on a Rem Model 6 bought at KMart

Can't beat a Leupold straight 4 rimfire scope.
    I have one on my 572.

Just bought a Gru-Bee wolf pup 4x rimfire scope.
    Excellent!
    Works perfectly for me, on a Nylon 66.
    3/4 tube.
    Very good glass.
    It would be great on a 572.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Simmons .22 Mag has always been a really good scope for the money, we had one on the 10/22 for awhile.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Master
    I am fond of the Weaver D4 scope for rimfires. These have the 7/8" tube and are usually found complete with the rings (they were sold this way by Weaver) that are correct for the rimfire 3/8" mounting base. Crosshairs may be either the standard crosshair or the "plex" version. Better light and target viewing than the 3/4" tube scopes, more compact than the 1" tube models. They just feel right on a rimfire. These are out of production but the auction sites will have them offered frequently. Read the seller's description carefully for issues and the ability to return a defective item if it has problems.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a field master with a Weaver K4, 4x, scope on it. Outstanding. A real joy to shoot.

Boolit Master

I have found the Simmons scopes to be well worth the price you have to pay for them. Fairly cheap and they work as well as some scopes that sell for much more money. I have 2 at the moment, both 3x9. One on my 10/22, a 22MAG model and it is a great little scope. The other is a Whitetail that has been on several rifles and never failed me. my experience anyway, james

my old man has a Remington Model 572 150th Anniversary Model 22 LR Pump Rifle(1966?). he said it was death on tree rats. a weaver 4x is still on.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I have a couple of Weaver V22 scopes on "vintage" 22 rifles and I like them because they are quite inexpensive, (usually $50-60.00 with mounts in VG-EXC condition) period correct for a lot of rifles I own, have a 7/8" tube so the optics are a bit better than the 3/4" tube although not quite as good as a 1" tube, variable 3-6 and they are sized to look, at least to my eye, nicely balanced to the 22 size rifle. So many of the 1" tube setups look as though a rifle was mounted on a scope rather then a scope mounted to the rifle.

Whoa! Just noticed this thread was started in FEB. Guess I'm a bit late to the party. I'm curious as to what you decided to do.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Had a 513S some years ago with Weaver J2.5 on it. 3/4" tube.
    Absolutely best scope I ever used under trees during squirrel season as it was bright up until sundown.
    There was a sibling to the 2.5, a 4, not sure of its ability to gather light.
    The nice thing also about the J series was the the old 3/4" weaver ''22" mounts were available everywhere.

I like my vintage Bushnell Sportview 4X. Japan or Korean made ones for around 20 bucks, good scope and value I think.