Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: 1920's Remington .22 caliber Rolling block Rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes

1920's Remington .22 caliber Rolling block Rifle

Looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2233.jpg   IMG_2238.jpg   IMG_2236.jpg  
    Last edited by sailcaptain; 05-13-2019 at 06:06 AM. Reason: New details

Boolit Master
    If the bore is good they can be good shooters. Make sure the takedown screw is tight when you shoot it. Value ranges wildly.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Man
    It looks like a typical Remington No. 4 rolling block, take-down model. They made them from the 1890s to 1920s - 30s. They also came in 32 rimfire and I beleive they also made a version with a fixed, longer barrel and full musket style stock. Good and simple little rifles that they manufactured a lot of and were popular because of the price.

Boolit Master

They even had a Boy Scout model. The first gun I owned was a model 4 and I have a few now. The later ones had a round barrel with a takedown screw on the left.

And prior to 1900 they weren't takedowns, but solid frames. They were also offered in .25 Stevens RF. They were offered from 1890-1932.

Boolit Master
    As noted above, that is a Remington No. 4 takedown (I've got its twin). If you contact Remington and give them the serial number they can tell you exactly when it was made. Mine was my Grandfather's first gun-- its been in the family since 1907.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    A 99.9% one just sold at major auction for $550.00. It was original and flat new.

Boolit Master
    Mine has a small crack in the stock and the action is a little loose. Kind of a neat little gun.

I have retired my .22 caliber takedown #4, pending major alteration. The barrel tenon that fits into the receiver is just way too short to be stable once it gets worn, and they DO get worn. Weakest takedown system of any boys' rifle I know of. A heavy dose of Loctite Stud & Bearing Mount helps mine for a while. Too bad that Remington jumped on the takedown wagon. My early .32 with the barrel threaded in is a very fine little rifle.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I have tightened up a few takedowns with a little weld on the bottom of the barrel. My first one was in very good shape when my father found it a a second hand store. He was there when they were going through an old trunk from an estate sale and found the little rifle rolled up in a blanket in the bottom. He got it for $8

The present Remington historian has been less than accurate on his dating of firearms from what I've seen. Records are sketchy, and in many cases nonexistent. But in numerous occasions I've known people who've gotten dates that conflicted with the configuration and rollstamp info on their guns.
    I wouldn't hold a lot of weight on whatever date they told me for manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I have tightened up a few takedowns with a little weld on the bottom of the barrel. My first one was in very good shape when my father found it a a second hand store. He was there when they were going through an old trunk from an estate sale and found the little rifle rolled up in a blanket in the bottom. He got it for $8
    Hadn't considered that, John. How did you lay the weld on? I'm thinking maybe two fine beads parallel to the bore axis, at 5 and 7 o'clock. Or three, at 4, 6, and 8 o'clock. File down until it fits.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Hadn't considered that, John. How did you lay the weld on? I'm thinking maybe two fine beads parallel to the bore axis, at 5 and 7 o'clock. Or three, at 4, 6, and 8 o'clock. File down until it fits.
    It takes very little weld, only need a few thou. to tighten things up. Where the lock screw or lever contacts the barrel, add a little weld to the area closest to the chamber end. The screw or lever lock will pull the barrel tighter to the action. I use a tig torch. Need to be very careful when filing, I use layout die to check contact several times.

Boolit Master
    Sailcaptain-- no-- mine does not have the original sights. Years ago my grandfather put a Lyman tang sight on it and removed the original rear sight-- don't know where it went. 20 years ago I took a job for awhile in Europe and loaned the rifle with my father-in-law (couldn't take it where I was going). He machined a new set of sights to fit the dovetails, but they are not standard. So everything on mine is original except the sights.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Mine has been D&T for 1.5" tang sight spacing and a newer tang sight installed. Mine was also relined when it was restored, and is a great little shooter. I shoot only standard velocity loads, as I've never felt the little #4 was a very strong action.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
    They got parts for sure! The sight is out of stock, I hope right now. Waiting for word back from them. Thanks for the link.
    sailcaptain, that sight is a replacement. Their were 6? options for the front sight, 2 versions of the "Knife Blade" was the most common, and 4 versions of the Lyman Beech folding sight like this:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1371580
    Knife Blade:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/372160C
    I found an original Lyman tang sight, and front Beech sight for mine (****ed sights are worth more than the rifle!) and I have the original 2nd econo version of the knife blade sight. Can you post a pic of your front sight?
    Save this site, comes in handy to keep these working:
    http://www.rollingblockparts.com/no-4.html

Here's another source for Remington #4 RB parts: https://thea.com/Vintage-Gun-Parts-R...Rolling-Block/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post

Marlinman,
    Yours is a beautiful example, especially with the etchings. Nice touch. Like you, when I do shoot it, it's only standard velocity. Why stress the gun.
    Thanks! But that's not etchings on my #4 Roller. It is engraved, and done by Guild engraver Robert Evans when he was a young engraver. Bob is in his 90's now, and did this about 45 years ago. It was his personal gun, and he sold it too me a couple years ago.